Alistair Carmichael memo leak and inquiry: should he resign?

Should Alistair Carmichael resign?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Should Alistair Carmichael resign?

• Yes
    • No

Absolute bobbins. It is not the comments of Nicola Sturgeon that are in question here. Mr Carmichael's lie was regarding his own role in the distribution of the memo about her. He led the public to believe he had had no role in its leaking and that he was innocent of any wrongdoing. That was found to be demonstrably untrue.

So where is the proof of this? What's been put forth as "proof" so far tells a slightly different story.

From memory, when asked about it, he said he didn't know. That's something entirely different than saying it had nothing to do with him.

Where is the proof that at the time he was asked that he did know excatly which memo the person asking the question was referring to, and that he did personally have full knowledge of the contents of it at the time he was asked. I've yet to encounter any.

I take it that you're a LibDim voter.

Nope. Never voted LibDem in my life.

However, now that you've brought them in to the discussion. Where are all the LibDem voters, or Tory, or Labour, or even UKIP voters and non-voters, who feel they were "persuaded" not to vote SNP on account of Carmichael's alleged "lie"? I can't seem to be able to see or hear them for all the self-proclaimed SNP voters jumping up and down and shouting at the front. Without them standing up to be counted this will never have any other look about it but SNP supporters making a mountain out of a molehill because they're so fantical they can't seem to accept folk willingly voted for some other party.

Absolute bobbins. It is not the comments of Nicola Sturgeon that are in question here. Mr Carmichael's lie was regarding his own role in the distribution of the memo about her. He led the public to believe he had had no role in its leaking and that he was innocent of any wrongdoing. That was found to be demonstrably untrue.

So where is the proof of this? What's been put forth as "proof" so far tells a slightly different story.

From memory, when asked about it, he said he didn't know. That's something entirely different than saying it had nothing to do with him.

Where is the proof that at the time he was asked that he did know excatly which memo the person asking the question was referring to, and that he did personally have full knowledge of the contents of it at the time he was asked. I've yet to encounter any.

Really? This is truly going to be your line of argument? 

He's admitted that he knew all about it, it is absolutely without question. http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/22/lib-dem-alistair-carmichael-admits-responsibility-anti-sturgeon-leak-mp-snp-leader-david-cameron

I'm genuinely amazed that a Shetlander could be unaware of that. 

I do not care whether a politician is labour , Lib dem, Tory , u kip or snp, they have no right to lie and if they have been found to do so they should resign or be sacked. I am not snp and I don't think there is any chance of me voting snp but Mr Carmichael had no right to do what he did and should take the consequences. I object to all his supporters saying that the people who want justice are just snp followers, just another lie to get their own way. He should be dealt with severely to prevent any politician from doing the same again and then maybe we would get some honest representatives instead of what we seem to be left with.

He's admitted that he knew all about it, it is absolutely without question. http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/22/lib-dem-alistair-carmichael-admits-responsibility-anti-sturgeon-leak-mp-snp-leader-david-cameron

Not very good at paying attention to detail, are you?  I'm genuinely amazed that another human being is hearing the words they want to hear and ignoring the rest.  IF AM knew "all about it", then he would have been aware of every single letter contained within the memo.  He states he had never seen the memo ergo how can he know all about it?  I suggest you go back and listen carefully to what was actually asked and what AM's reply consisted of.

Even giving AC the benefit of the doubt (i.e. he hadn't read it) the fact that he then didn't have the wit to say as much is almost as worrying.

He did, in the opening line of his statement.

I had not seen the document before it was published in the Daily Telegraph...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/lib-dem-minister-alistair-carmichael-ordered-leak-of-sturgeon-conversation-with-french-ambassador-10270431.html

Score one for AC. I'll eat only half my hat though as you missed out the rest of his quote: "...however I was aware of its content and agreed that my special adviser should make it public". He knew and sanctioned its release. It is the weekend and I'm done flogging this horse.

As Roachmill eloquently pointed out in an earlier post Alistair Carmichael is quoted as saying he was aware of the contents of the dodgy memo and that he sanctioned its release.

I wonder why he lied about it in a Channel 4 interview when asked about it in the run up to the election?

I suppose the judges will have to ask him.

I do not care whether a politician is labour , Lib dem, Tory , u kip or snp, they have no right to lie and if they have been found to do so they should resign or be sacked. I am not snp and I don't think there is any chance of me voting snp but Mr Carmichael had no right to do what he did and should take the consequences. I object to all his supporters saying that the people who want justice are just snp followers, just another lie to get their own way. He should be dealt with severely to prevent any politician from doing the same again and then maybe we would get some honest representatives instead of what we seem to be left with.

Ahw come on, do you really think this would have got this far if the SNP had have won. In my opinion this is nothing other than sour grapes and clearly an attempt to get a second chance at election.

Whilst I agree that our MPs should all tell the truth, I see this as a drop in the ocean compared with what's gone on before with all parties. It was a stupid thing to do, but no one died. Get over it.

Now do you think it was ok for Alex Salmon to state that Scotland would remain part of the U.K. If it went independant, when the powers to be were clearly saying this was not the case. In my opinion he was trying to deceive the electorate. ? But that's ok isn't it ?

Totally blown out of perportion and an absolute waste of money if you ask me. Rap his knuckles and move on.

Not very good at paying attention to detail, are you?  I'm genuinely amazed that another human being is hearing the words they want to hear and ignoring the rest.  IF AM knew "all about it", then he would have been aware of every single letter contained within the memo.  He states he had never seen the memo ergo how can he know all about it?  I suggest you go back and listen carefully to what was actually asked and what AM's reply consisted of.

No, you are very simply wrong on this. Carmichael was asked on Channel 4 news, "what he was aware of?"

After some rambling about his respect for the inquiry process, he states very clearly, "the first I became aware of this was when a journalist called me on Friday afternoon". That is a lie, I don't see how it can be argued that that is not a lie. His only defence at this stage is whether or not that lie actually matters in relation to his election.

Here's the video should you wish to dispute that: http://news.channel4.com/election2015/04/05/update-931/

Ahw come on, do you really think this would have got this far if the SNP had have won.

Of course it wouldn't, nor if any party other than the Lib Dems had won. What would be the point of taking Alistair Carmichael to an election court hearing if he hadn't won the election?

Now do you think it was ok for Alex Salmon to state that Scotland would remain part of the U.K. If it went independant, when the powers to be were clearly saying this was not the case. In my opinion he was trying to deceive the electorate. ? But that's ok isn't it ?

What did you mean to say here? Because Salmond certainly never claimed Scotland would "remain part of the UK" after March 2016 had the referendum delivered a Yes vote. That would be rather contrary to his beliefs...

Edited by hjasga

To the "concerned shetlander" .....I dont recall anyone screaming for alec Salmond's head when he was found to have deliberately lied during the referendum, regarding the currency issue.

Should we insist he leaves his current SNP post? And if not, why not?

All politicians lie and distort the truth, that's the reality, it goes with the territory. You cant insist that every politician who has lied leaves his post, the House of Commons and the Scottish parliament building would be completely empty.

You can campaign, scream and dream all you like for openness and honesty in politics, but it aint gonna happen, Join the real world.

You might class that as cynicism, I call it reality.

You could call that a lot of different things besides cynicism and reality  :???:

Nobody is claiming AC is the only dishonest politician going. The fact that anyone (don't worry, you're not alone) uses that as an argument for letting him off beggars belief. There's loads of professions with stereotypical criminal activities where such an argument would never see the light of day: priests, footballers, musicians etc.

He, however, has been caught and admitted his own wrong doing and should therefore suffer the consequences. He certainly shouldn't be let off because he's a politician!

To the "concerned shetlander" .....I dont recall anyone screaming for alec Salmond's head when he was found to have deliberately lied during the referendum, regarding the currency issue.

Should we insist he leaves his current SNP post? And if not, why not?

All politicians lie and distort the truth, that's the reality, it goes with the territory. You cant insist that every politician who has lied leaves his post, the House of Commons and the Scottish parliament building would be completely empty.

You can campaign, scream and dream all you like for openness and honesty in politics, but it aint gonna happen, Join the real world.

You might class that as cynicism, I call it reality.

What was Salmond's lie about currency? I certainly can't remember one, could you elaborate?

I presume you actually mean his "lie" about having received guidance regarding Scotland's EU status, for which he referred himself to an independent inquiry and was cleared of any wrongdoing.

Unless there is a currency lie I'm overlooking?

Ahw come on, do you really think this would have got this far if the SNP had have won.

Of course it wouldn't, nor if any party other than the Lib Dems had won. What would be the point of taking Alistair Carmichael to an election court hearing if he hadn't won the election?

What did you mean to say here? Because Salmond certainly never claimed Scotland would "remain part of the UK" after March 2016 had the referendum delivered a Yes vote. That would be rather contrary to his beliefs...

Sorry I meant to say part of Europe