Social life on Shetland for a newbie - are people up for it?!

Hi there, hope it is ok to post in this part of the forum as I couldn't see a suitable section.

I'm going to be in Shetland for an interview quite soon and will of course spend a day having a look around. The thing is, i'm in my early 30s and would be moving alone to Shetland and I am someone who tends to get bored easily and likes to adventure, I'd likely join the kayaking club and maybe archery. Does anyone know how active and sociable these clubs are?

Also, I would want to make the most of my weekends and evenings by going to visit all the islands and pubs and cinema etc, anything really! Where I live now is quite a small town by the seaside but I've found it hard to meet people as most people grew up here and don't seem so into doing new things/hanging out with a newbie and anyone who has moved here for work tends to commute back to the bigger cities for social times at the weekend. I have ended up doing the same but I've felt I've not be able to make the most of my time here. I am really sociable and generally find it easy to chat to and meet new people but it's not been easy here. I'm ok with doing things alone but of course its nicer for me to share experiences with others who are up for it!

Have people heard of meetup? I would probably set up a group if I move. I might only be on Shetland for a year and I've found here that I've only managed to meet people after a year and now I have to leave and don't want that to happen in Shetland. I'd try and stay for longer if I'm loving it though. I have no major ties :)

So what i'm asking is are people in Shetland up for it? I'm sure you are welcoming to newcomers but do you think I would meet people to hang out with who want to go on weekend trips and also visit Orkney and things, have movie nights, go for walks. I realise winters in Shetland are dark and I don't want to find myself feeling isolated, it's not like I can just pop home for the weekend to see family or friends.

Thanks! Also, PM me (if you can on this) if you fancy meeting in the pub/dinner or coffee when i'm up for my interview and you can tell me more about Shetland. Get a wee group together (this is a test of your sociability :P)

I think your best bet are the sports clubs , there probably is quite a lot of other clubs and organisations which meet up . Here's a few suggestions.

If your worried about winter isolation try night classes at the college good way to meet people , join an up helly a squad they usually meet up once a week from October threw to end of January.

The guy at High level music does guitar lessons , probably also music clubs who meet up,

If your into Radio controlled car racing there is club.

You could become a youth worker at the youth clubs if that appeals to you.

Where in Shetland are you moving to and are you working in Lerwick ?

Edited by B/M/S

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Muckle Joannie, that is good as I definitely want to do sea kayaking, I was an honorary member in Orkney for the day when I was visiting and loved exploring the coastline. 

B/M/S, it just so happens that I was thinking I could learn the guitar. I was at a folk festival recently and it made me want to learn, I've volunteered at the Isle of Lewis Hebcelt so I would probably like to go to or help at the Shetland folk festival too and I also currently volunteer with Brownies so that might be an option that will help me through winter too. Up Helly Aa sounds interesting...there might be too much to do ;) I would aim to live in Lerwick but I haven't even had the job interview yet and I will have to see what my first impressions of Shetland are as to whether it's for me but sounds fun!

Carolann - thanks for the good wishes. Well, I did hear accommodation is an issue :( I work in healthcare so I might be lucky and get a place in staff accommodation though usually that is not that great for inviting friends to. Will wait and see if I get offered the job first. 

Is food and petrol expensive versus rest of Scotland? I can drive but don't like to and haven't in a good while but I think I would have to get a car to make full use of weekends and exploration!

no chance of staff accommodation. you say your only commin for a year. so you wont have access to the relocation offer. if you want to pm me i will have the wife message you she has worked in t he hospital and is now on the community team. yes food and drink is expensive. but you will earn an extra 1800 in distant island pay.  Up Helly Aa is a close shop. if you really want to join in a fire festival try others. loads to do if you want. can i ask why your wantin to move up here by yourself it can be very lonely.

As far as I know to be a guizer in the Lerwick Up Helly Aa you must have been a resident in Shetland for a least 5 years. Then you need to know someone who is in a squad and hope they invite you to join.

The country fire festivals vary. For Scalloway you need to be resident in Tingwall, Scalloway or Burra but I don't think there is a period of qualification. Other areas allow you to bring a squad from anywhere in Shetland as long as someone turns up at the mass meeting to register the squad.

Hi Newbie 123,

Have been reading all the comments and answers to your questions. Am guessing that you are possible female (Brownies?). There's plenty to do if you want to get involved with things. Accommodation is at a premium just now due to the work at the Sullom Voe Gas Plant, but there are reasonably affordable places occasionally. Best is to put a "Wanted" in the Accommodation section on Shetlink and sell yourself well with plenty of info and see what response you get. Do you want to stay in Lerwick?, or be further away from it?

If you are sporty, there are plenty of groups to get involved with through the sports centres in Shetland.
If you are crafty, there are plenty of folk doing all sorts of crafts, again and avert on here is great for getting info and buying and selling. IF its the outdoors, there are plenty of walks, tours, places of interest to visit.

I am presently off work just now, and am wondering how I managed to work with all the things I'm involved in. Sports Park, Football Team, event organiser for fundraisers, treasurer and advisor for the footballers, School Reunion Treasurer, knitting sewing, making craft things for sale at Craft Fairs and Coffee Mornings and Car Boots.

If you'd like to meet up for a chat?, whether you are male or female, I would be up for that.:-) My phone number is (01595) 820751.  

Good luck for your interview.
Cheers, Mary

One thing that I would definitely sign on for is a course to learn some of the traditional Shetland dances. The excellent Maria Leask used to run 10-week introduction classes, for one evening per week, at Anderson High School. You don't necessarily need a partner to go along to the classes and dancing is a really big activity in the islands and quite sociable.

I hope that you get the job and move to the islands. I am back south in England now but I lived for 6 years in the islands and the experience was wonderful.

Thanks everyone.

You do sound busy Mary and thanks for the offer! 

Daveh, not sure about dancing... looked on youtube, seems way harder than ceilidh dancing so might be a bit complicated for me, but I could try! especially if there are social dances then I should learn :) I assume you all learn at school. 

I looked at some Shetland storms videos on youtube - wow!

if you staying in lerwick you wont suffer the worst of the weather. yet saying that you lose a fair bit of sun as well. always seems duller in lerwick than out here on the west side. storms are once or twice a year. just stay in. autumn and spring are the times of the worst ones. it can be diffrent each year. a few years back we nearly had no Brussels sprouts for christmas.  due to a spell of windy weather. luckly the 2 stores did an airlift to insure we had them.

if you staying in lerwick you wont suffer the worst of the weather. yet saying that you lose a fair bit of sun as well. always seems duller in lerwick than out here on the west side. storms are once or twice a year. just stay in. autumn and spring are the times of the worst ones. it can be diffrent each year. a few years back we nearly had no Brussels sprouts for christmas.  due to a spell of windy weather. luckly the 2 stores did an airlift to insure we had them.

Storms are once or twice a year? Fairly certain the wind is up near storm force more than that. Gales are very frequent at some points in the year, sometimes the wind can stay at gale force for weeks on end!