Fibre in Scalloway?

Colin

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=163319&cabinets=24478

This is for the Scalloway Exchange; but the site works for any uk phone number.

this site lists cabinets in the exchange area, when/if they are being updated, with what technology (fiber to the premises; cabinet, or other; and who is making the temination equipment) and the probable date of availability.  The site is updated regularly as things change.  It works for any phone number.

just ask your local technology Nerd  :-)

this site lists cabinets in the exchange area, when/if they are being updated, with what technology (fiber to the premises; cabinet, or other; and who is making the temination equipment) and the probable date of availability.  The site is updated regularly as things change.  It works for any phone number.

I just had a 5 minute conversation with the Irish line tech wiring the above mentioned cabinets in Scalloway.  One set is wired and ready to have its line cards fitted; configured and powered up. The other set was being wired today.  He said his work would be done by the end of this week; including the exchange end of the connections to both cabinets sets.

What's still to be done after that?   Mains power to the Fibre termination Cabinets ( the smaller of the two cabinets).   Line cards installed and the subscriber connections made across in the exchange to feed throught the new (larger of the two) cabinets' internals.    It's a good bet that the September date is probably correct.  This is for FTTC; NOT FTTP; which is a whole different ball-game.  When I told him i was getting 6.8 Meg at 250 yds from the exchange; He said I could reasonably expect up to 50 Megs under the new setup.    If you are more than 1000 Metres from the exchange (cable length; not As-The-Crow-Flies) the speeds  start to drop off rapidly.

As thule mentions please remember the standard BT product is not really fibre its copper connected to a cabinet which is connected by fibre. It is not the same as real FTTH . Depending on your distance from the cabinet you may or may not get faster speeds........

Edited by marlin13

I just had a 5 minute conversation with the Irish line tech wiring the above mentioned cabinets in Scalloway.  One set is wired and ready to have its line cards fitted; configured and powered up. The other set was being wired today.  He said his work would be done by the end of this week; including the exchange end of the connections to both cabinets sets.

What's still to be done after that?   Mains power to the Fibre termination Cabinets ( the smaller of the two cabinets).   Line cards installed and the subscriber connections made across in the exchange to feed throught the new (larger of the two) cabinets' internals.    It's a good bet that the September date is probably correct.  This is for FTTC; NOT FTTP; which is a whole different ball-game.  When I told him i was getting 6.8 Meg at 250 yds from the exchange; He said I could reasonably expect up to 50 Megs under the new setup.    If you are more than 1000 Metres from the exchange (cable length; not As-The-Crow-Flies) the speeds  start to drop off rapidly.

Just done my weekly check on the openreach website and  scalloway exchange has had a status change.  "Superfast fibre broadband to the home or property" is now "coming soon" i.e. enabled within within 6 months; in my part of the villiage (central).  We shall wait and see...

• 2 months later...

well it's finally here.   FTTC is enabled on at least some connections from the scalloway exchange.  just ordered fast FTTC from plusnet.  My speeds are 80 down 20 up ( reduced for overhead as you would expect  to nearer 76/19).  Engineer booked for 5 October.    I am on cabinet 2, apparently; so if you are also connected to it you should be able to order the upgrade.

£30 per month, inc VAT for unlimited 80/20 from Plusnet;  is only a fiver more than I have been paying for business grade adsl+ (limited to 60Gig/month) which was rock solid for 99% of the time; so no complaints; for the last 9 years.

Edited by thule

• 2 weeks later...

Soon the Scottish "superfast" broadband of 24Mbps will become less than average broadband and may be such already looking at the figures.

See figures from OFCOM via ISP review below.

* February 2015 = 22.8Mbps (+21.93%)
* October 2014 = 18.7Mbps (+5.06%)
* April 2014 = 17.8Mbps (+21.09%)
* August 2013 = 14.7Mbps (+22.50%)
* March 2013 = 12Mbps (+34%)

• 2 weeks later...

well it's finally here.   FTTC is enabled on at least some connections from the scalloway exchange.  just ordered fast FTTC from plusnet.  My speeds are 80 down 20 up ( reduced for overhead as you would expect  to nearer 76/19).  Engineer booked for 5 October.    I am on cabinet 2, apparently; so if you are also connected to it you should be able to order the upgrade.

£30 per month, inc VAT for unlimited 80/20 from Plusnet;  is only a fiver more than I have been paying for business grade adsl+ (limited to 60Gig/month) which was rock solid for 99% of the time; so no complaints; for the last 9 years.

Well  I've been on Fast fibre for 4 days now.  After fighting with plusnet over a speed limiting line estimated speed (limited to 20 up 18 down) I am now achieving 75 megs download and 19 megs upload.   I am on the Unlimited Fibre Extra which is 80/20 megs    all for £30 / month.   I have broadband only from plusnet; having had bad experiences with outsourcing phone line rental previously.

So far there have been no issues with the technology. Openreach installed their kit (at my end) in about 25 minutes and his linecheck gave a solid 80/20 speed profile; exactly the same as at the one he did at the cabinet end. I am within 500 metres of the cabinet; which covers a lot of properties in Scalloway.

Now the only limiting factors w r t speed are the intermediate stops on the internet that slow things down.

As an aside I have been hosting one of the "Samknows" white testing boxes for a couple of years.  In return for letting them use some of my bandwidth both up and down, they have been giving me a montly report card of line statistics of all kinds; and access to their site where I can do daily checks of all kinds of interesting stuff; including the new video on demand tests I have just signed up for. 

It will be interesting to see how relaiable the new connection is after having monitored my old ADSL+ connection dince 2013.

Edited by thule

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wasn't aware there were different packages, all I know is I'm unlimited (as far as PlusNet go) and it's the fastest in this area.  I assume the 40 & 80 refer to speed but 40 is the highest.

there are two "unlimited" fibre packages

If you take unlimited fibre "EXTRA"  (80/20) you get "up to" 76 DOWN and "up to" 19.5 UP  for which you pay a bit extra. Otherwise you are on unlimited fibre (40/2) which is "up to" 38 DOWN  and "up to" 1.9 UP .  The difference in cost is about £5/month.   My regular speedchecks now average out at 70Mb down and 18.9Mb UP.  Lowest test speed was 59.6; highest  76.9; uploads are a bit more variable but still not less than 14; more regularly in the 18-19 range.

Watch out for plusnet limiting you.  I started out being artificially limited to 20 down (and 20 up) because they were using an old "estimate" line check speed. Once I pointed this out to them they removed the limit and speeds immediately jumped to 77Mb down

When you are logged into your portal, open the link below in another tab and you should see your line settings as configured by Plusnet.   If your settings don't match what you are paying for; try opening an issue with support.  It took them about 24 hours to fix my blockage.

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

"thule"

Edited by thule