centralisation

Looking at the tragedy that has unfolded recently, it seems that the SNP obsession with centralisation has cost lives already.

Police Scotland is in chaos, and I hope the enquiry goes deep enough.

You don't vote LibDim by any chance, do you?

In this day of modern communications,there is absolutely nothing wrong with centralisation and believe me we will see more and more of this as cost cutting continues with council and NHS departments amalgamating throughout the country.

The recent case to which you refer does make one concerned,but until  we get all the facts we cannot blame it purely on centralisation.

The problem I would have when reporting an incident is my exact location.Most of the time when driveing I know where i am, but would have no postal code or address,I might not even know the road number .Kinda awkard trying to explain this to anyone who is looking for postal codes and address. to put into their computer.

Try useing a Sat Nav without addresses or postal codes it is pretty much a waste of time and there lies the problem for someone trying understand where to send emergency vehicles no matter where they are.

If a vessel sends out a mayday the first thing the coastguard wants to know is their position.

This is the same on land. Many modern mobile phones have GPS and this will  automatically send out the necessary info  makeing things easier in some cases (one might not be at the actual location of the incident)but it will be a long time if ever before we all have this equipment to hand when needed.

So the answer is we should always know exactly where we are in case we have to tell someone!

This could make a good exercise blind fold someone then drive them to a location where they then have to explain to some stranger where they are especially if it is a bit misty :???:

My issue with all this is the person at the other end of the phone may have no knowledge of the area that you are in. In a place like Shetland with many unusual place names and a lot of people with strong dialects this could lead to valuable time being wasted or misunderstandings in an emergency. It is blatantly much easier for a Shetlander who is experiencing an emergency near "Fladdabister" to explain that location to a fellow Shetlander than to someone from the Mainland UK.

I agree that technology allows many things to be centralised to a degree. However in terms of governance I believe that the closer the decision makers are to the consequences of said decisions then the more effective the government. 

The fishing industry is a perfect example. The ministers in Brussels, London and to an extent Edinburgh are so far removed from the affected workers and communities that very often the wrong decisions are made. 

Every region is different and you cannot have a one size fits all policy for everything without having (intended or otherwise) negative consequences.

Tend to agree,whalsa but remember the person sitting in the local office might well come fae Timbukto and widna know Skaw fae Scarborough,would they ever find da Tevliks, that is the way things are nowadays.

There is probably a course on it at the FE. How to explain exactly where you are. :ponders:

brochbuilder--- I do not think politics has much to do with this. Thousands are being spent on upgrading broadband playing right into the hands of those who want to introduce centralisation which requires this very commodity which we the public are demanding.

Everyone running about with little computers picking up there next appointments and tasks probably being controlled in India or some other far away land, that is the way we are heading.

Could easy see a big "command" centre spring up here in Shetland for any well known company.

It is all about pounds,shilling and pence .

I agree it's all about money, the last Tory/Libdem government slashed Scotlands overall budget by 9% and the capital budget by 20% with further huge cuts planned by this Tory government.

The Scottish government is stuck between a rock and a hard place, any responsible government facing these devastating cuts has to balance the books somehow, efficiencies have to be found somewhere.

Amalgamation of Scotland's regional police forces was an obvious choice, after all the metropolitan police is a single police force policing several million people.

Personally I think the regional forces worked better but what would they have to cut to pay for it? Health? Education?

I find it a bit hypocritical hearing the Lib Dems and Tories complain about efficiencies made to Scotland's police force when they were responsible for the massive cuts that made the efficiencies necessary.

Another question regarding policing in Scotland, why is Police Scotland the only force in the United Kingdom deemed liable for VAT? It costs police Scotland £24 million annually, maybe that could pay for a bit of decentralisation.

Edited by Capeesh

I agree it's all about money, the last Tory/Libdem government slashed Scotlands overall budget by 9% and the capital budget by 20% with further huge cuts planned by this Tory government.

The Scottish government is stuck between a rock and a hard place, any responsible government facing these devastating cuts has to balance the books somehow, efficiencies have to be found somewhere.

Amalgamation of Scotland's regional police forces was an obvious choice, after all the metropolitan police is a single police force policing several million people.

Personally I think the regional forces worked better but what would they have to cut to pay for it? Health? Education?

I find it a bit hypocritical hearing the Lib Dems and Tories complain about efficiencies made to Scotland's police force when they were responsible for the massive cuts that made the efficiencies necessary.

Another question regarding policing in Scotland, why is Police Scotland the only force in the United Kingdom deemed liable for VAT? It costs police Scotland £24 million annually, maybe that could pay for a bit of decentralisation.

Except within the Met, you can still speak to the control room of your local police station on a direct number.  Even if you dial and get central control, you can still get put through to the duty inspector at your local police station.

brochbuilder--- I do not think politics has much to do with this. Thousands are being spent on upgrading broadband playing right into the hands of those who want to introduce centralisation which requires this very commodity which we the public are demanding.

Everyone running about with little computers picking up there next appointments and tasks probably being controlled in India or some other far away land, that is the way we are heading.

Could easy see a big "command" centre spring up here in Shetland for any well known company.

It is all about pounds,shilling and pence .

But this is about local public services not private entitities.  By their very nature, politics does, therefore, have a lot to do with it.

Except within the Met, you can still speak to the control room of your local police station on a direct number.  Even if you dial and get central control, you can still get put through to the duty inspector at your local police station.

So the people that live in London continue to enjoy the ability to speak directly to their local police station while the rest of the UK can only phone and talk to a centralised call centre that is nowhere near, and therefore has little understanding of, the callers problem. 

Selectivity enjoyed by the control merchants that supposedly "look after" us? Obviously, they are a lot more important than the likes of the common man.

In comparison to the benefits enjoyed by the people within the Met, where is the chaos suffered by those covered by Police Scotland and would anything ever be done about it if it was actually identified?

Edited by George.

When I say politics do not have much to do with this,what I really mean is our politians will have been advised (brainwashed) by buisness men/women to the potential savings that can be made .

Decisions I believe in many cases have already been made before we even hear of it.

Many of these experts will be looking for something to support there own buisnesses and will present a very strong case for this. Always wanting change to keep them in buisness.

They just have to convince everyone that their idea is good.

If you apply this to the mirage of people involved in the "computer" trade,and the office managers trying to save a bob or two, then it is easy to see why someone could be convinced that centralisation is the answer..

Remember there is nothing new about centralisation ,car breakdown companys like te AA and RAC have useing the system sucessfully for years, You phone them, tell them where you are and within a short time a friendly mechanic arrives. 

Take any council department --do they need someone to sit in an office in Lerwick to tell Mr Joiner or Mr plumber where to go.

The only jobs save today are the frontline staff!

"So the people that live in London continue to enjoy the ability to speak directly to their local police station while the rest of the UK can only phone and talk to a centralised call centre that is nowhere near, and therefore has little understanding of, the callers problem."

Hate to break it to ya, George, but Scotland does not make up 100% of "the rest of the UK".

"So the people that live in London continue to enjoy the ability to speak directly to their local police station while the rest of the UK can only phone and talk to a centralised call centre that is nowhere near, and therefore has little understanding of, the callers problem."

Hate to break it to ya, George, but Scotland does not make up 100% of "the rest of the UK".

You're right, Cranky. Scotland does not make up 100% of "the rest of the UK." I never suggested that it did. I put forward the fact that the people living in London can phone their police station directly, while the rest of the UK has to go through the call centres that are provided for the people of the UK. Police Scotland, to date, covers approximately 10% of the U.K population and we, like all the others, apart from the "Big Knobs" in London, have to join the queue.

I do wonder what justifies the residents of London getting a "personalised service" though.