centralisation

There does seem to be some of you who will find a way to blame the tory/lib.dem coalition for everything. The fact remains Police Scotland is the SNP's baby,

The Scotsman reported an SNP cover up over the police scotland fiasco way back in May '14.

Since then we have the guardian describing the SNP as "orwellian"

Police Scotland themselves condemning the SNP's proposals for a state guardian plan for our children.

And the Telegraph also attacking the same plan.

And for those of you who will now be up in arms for daring to mention what you constantly describe as the "Torygraph", let us remember the expenses scandal. That was the Telegraph exposing the expenses fiddles of politicians of all colours, includind many tories. If they can criticise their own, surely they can have a go at the SNP.

Brochbuilder:

Sadly, it's a common disease that afflicts a fair portion of the SNP's supporters ranks. Anyone who questions or disagrees with SNP edicts/fatwahs/proclamations is automatically labelled either 'Tory', 'LibDem' or 'Unionist'. The word 'Tory' is bandied about like a worn-out playground insult. Questioning the SNP always results in childish accusations of assumed allegiance, an affliction that is fairly unique in British/Scots politics..

Couple this with the mantra of "It wasnae us" in response to any challenge regarding funding or policy and you have a blanket statement that can be parroted ad nauseum by the more easily led members of their party.

Orwells sheep spring to mind. Pity, really, as all they do is open up the SNP to more flak instead of allowing the SNP to get on with the job in hand.

BTW: George, this isn't aimed directly at you - it's a general observation on the antics of some SNP supporters.

Edited by Scorrie

And who advises Civil Servants--when we see the concert most of us are unaware what has gone on behind the stage in preparation for the public show,the same applys in the political world. There is a lot going on behind the scenes that most of us know nothing about.

With more cuts announced yesterday every political party will have to accept a reduction in funding affecting each and everyone of us in one way or another. Probably even more centralisation.

The point is the Chancellor right or wrong.

The country has to live within it means be it good or bad .

I know how much I have,the trouble is I do not know how much the chancellor has to play with,so i will  just have to sit back and trust him 

There can only be one master on the bridge--is he heading for the rocks,time will tell .

The SNP would certainly touch the bottom if they were allowed to steer there preferred course.

Edited by Urabug

The point is the Chancellor right or wrong.

The country has to live within it means be it good or bad .

I know how much I have,the trouble is I do not know how much the chancellor has to play with,so i will  just have to sit back and trust him 

"Just sit back and trust him" certainly isn't a philosophy I'll be prescribing to any time soon. How strange that you seem so skeptical of the intentions and abilities of SNP MPs but so completely trusting of those in Government and so accepting of their narrative. 

The economy is not a household budget, and "living within our means" is not the act of simple accountancy that looking after one's personal finances would be. 

Well,hjasga I'm not an accountant,but so far I have been able to manage my own affairs reasonably well.

No matter what party is in power, the Chancellor usually will have qualifications in financial matters far beyond my understanding of things . 

When Labour was in power for what ever reasons they as good as bankrupted us,but when the Tories with the help of the Lib Dems got in things improved. 

Now I'm no Torie supporter but I know which side is scoreing the goals at the moment and nobody wants to back a loser. 

Its the old saying you cannot burn the candle both ends.

We would all like to see everyone living in grandeur but that is just not possible.

If nobody had anything the economy would come to a stand still, so it's better to have something no matter how little to spend .

What sense would it be to give everyone what they wanted,bankrupting the country then we would all have nothing.   

The financial boffins who have to try and fund all the various departments sensibly and keep them running are provideing a good service to us all and need to be complimented not criticised ,but of course we see what seems to most of use stupid expenditure in many ares of government which is never properly explained so is correctly critised.

Guess if the government were a buisness the liquidators would be in power. How much dole/pensions would the receivers pay?

Just think GREECE,just keep the grindstone turning and  hope for the best.

The Tory government in Westminster is slashing Scotlands budget, as did the last LibDem/Tory government, this is just a stone cold fact.

If you don't believe me just google "Scotland budget cuts" or read about "austerity in the UK" or "UK spending cuts" every national newspaper and TV news outlet in the country have been talking about little else since the financial crash.

The Tory government in Westminster is slashing Scotlands budget, as did the last LibDem/Tory government, this is just a stone cold fact.

If you don't believe me just google "Scotland budget cuts" or read about "austerity in the UK" or "UK spending cuts" every national newspaper and TV news outlet in the country have been talking about little else since the financial crash.

And why do you think that Scotland shouldn't have to tighten its belt like the rest if the UK

And why do you think that Scotland shouldn't have to tighten its belt like the rest if the UK
I don't, which is why I mentioned in an earlier post that although I disagree with the amalgamation of Scotlands regional police forces, I can see the necessity if the only other option is to cut spending on health or education.

There is also an alternative to austerity, but I can't see that happening anytime soon in the UK.

Just an aside,

No matter what party is in power, the Chancellor usually will have qualifications in financial matters far beyond my understanding of things . 

George Osborne studied Modern History at Oxford University. Don't think that there will have been any relevant financial matters covered there - but he got the job, regardless.

https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers/chancellor-of-the-exchequer

Edited by George.

Well, notwithstanding that the jungle drums are talking stoness....

From what I'm hearing Shetland has been without landlines off isle for some hours and without mobile coverage, on Vodafone at least.

Now, any other time this situation wouldn't usually be more than an annoyance, but..... I'm led to believe all Shetland Coastguard staff a the Knab shipped out yesterday to remotely run the station from Aberdeen etc, while the Knab has a major refurb.

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure, but doesn't the above situation mean that with both BT's communication link to the Mainland down, and the main Shetland station offline and out of communiction radio range with the local voulnteer teams to call them out to station themselves in strategic positions around the isle to provide emergency coverage, that Shetland waters are totally without any coastguard cover of any kind. Mercy hits a kinda boannie day....

Yes, exceptional circumstances for sure, but just an example of how centralisation, even with a back up "Plan B" can fail, when something local would have taken it all in their stride.

Well,hjasga I'm not an accountant,but so far I have been able to manage my own affairs reasonably well.

When Labour was in power for what ever reasons they as good as bankrupted us,but when the Tories with the help of the Lib Dems got in things improved. 

Now I'm no Torie supporter but I know which side is scoreing the goals at the moment and nobody wants to back a loser. 

Its the old saying you cannot burn the candle both ends.

We would all like to see everyone living in grandeur but that is just not possible.

If nobody had anything the economy would come to a stand still, so it's better to have something no matter how little to spend .

What sense would it be to give everyone what they wanted,bankrupting the country then we would all have nothing.   

The financial boffins who have to try and fund all the various departments sensibly and keep them running are provideing a good service to us all and need to be complimented not criticised ,but of course we see what seems to most of use stupid expenditure in many ares of government which is never properly explained so is correctly critised.

Guess if the government were a buisness the liquidators would be in power. How much dole/pensions would the receivers pay?

Just think GREECE,just keep the grindstone turning and  hope for the best.

The chancellor has zero qualifications in economics or "financial matters". Obviously he is just a figurehead supported by knowledgeable civil servants and advisors but any suggestion that we just trust their better judgement is laughable. I'm not sure the relevance of the rest of your post. 

Well,hjasga we go through life having to trust many people, doctors ,nurses, pilots, captains ect ect and seldom if ever do we question there ability.

For me so far so good had a few scary moments in the air and on the land and under the surgeons knife.but I'm still here in one piece.

Now the Chancellor,sure as hell knows better than I do what is in the "kittty" so I have no option but to trust him. 

Democracy elected him,deemed he was fit for the job so there we are. 

Some folk think they could do a better job--well some drivers are better than others,good doctors ,bad doctors. Every profession has folk of different abilities .

Well,hjasga we go through life having to trust many people, doctors ,nurses, pilots, captains ect ect and seldom if ever do we question there ability.

Speak for yourself. I wouldn't question their knowledge or ability without good reason, but if there was evidence of any failure or misgiving I would not pass it off with, "well, they know best".

Now the Chancellor,sure as hell knows better than I do what is in the "kittty" so I have no option but to trust him.

We can glean enough about "what is in the kitty" to scrutinise this government's success in managing it. It is after all public money for which at least high level info is readily available.

Democracy elected him,deemed he was fit for the job so there we are.

Great, where is it you think that is being disputed?

Some folk think they could do a better job--well some drivers are better than others,good doctors ,bad doctors. Every profession has folk of different abilities .

And given the ability to choose I doubt many would willingly go to a "bad doctor". The standards for public officials and politicians are rather different to elsewhere and it should be no shock that we wish to have the most competent individuals available running the country.

Not that this point has any real relevance to what is being stated, which is that is facile to suggest the chancellor - by way of election and supposed better knowledge - should not be subject to intense scrutiny once in post.

Edited by hjasga

This post was all about centralision and the public safety of such.

The government finiancial cutbacks ,if we believe anyone,are necessary.  

Some folk would like to continue the spend, spend, spend attitude. Things simply cannot remain as they are, the funds are not there.to allow this.unless we all want to pay more tax.

I believe some centralisation will save money and might even in some areas improve service,but i would not like it to go in anyway similiar to BT with people with language differences answering calls.

What ever happens public safety must not be compromised.