scam phonecall

fionajohn

I've been having nuisance phone calls for at least 15 years now, if not longer.

* Double-glazing

* Conservatories

* Would you like to sponsor X charity?

* Have you had an accident in the last 6 years?

* Time is running out for you to claim back on those bank charges.

* I'm calling in connection with the electricity/gas supplied to your property.

* I'm calling in connection with the telephone account.  Who is your current provider?

Not once have I had anyone say they are from Microsoft.

Do we seriously need warnings about spammers and scammers, given the length of time they've been around?

All calls are screened here as we get numerous calls a day from scammers, would rather get rid of the phone but it's needed to have the internet.

Thanks for the heads up, think everyone should be more careful. 

Well you need the line for the internet but you do not have to connect a phone if you do not want to or alternatively can have an answering device with the ringer turned off.

I've been having nuisance phone calls for at least 15 years now, if not longer.

* Double-glazing

* Conservatories

* Would you like to sponsor X charity?

* Have you had an accident in the last 6 years?

* Time is running out for you to claim back on those bank charges.

* I'm calling in connection with the electricity/gas supplied to your property.

* I'm calling in connection with the telephone account.  Who is your current provider?

Not once have I had anyone say they are from Microsoft.

Do we seriously need warnings about spammers and scammers, given the length of time they've been around?

Yes I think people in Shetland and probably most of the UK do need warning about whatever scams are going around.  And anyway some of the calls you mention are not really scams but tele-sales. 

I used to get lots of these scamming calls and lots from " windows" so I went to the expense of putting in a new BT phone with truecall, which allows me to stop all international calls other than those I have in my phone book.

I also have set it to screen all withheld numbers. So for a while I had no more nuisance calls. But now I'm getting these calls saying that the bank has charged me when they shouldn't or that I have recently been involved in an accident which wasn't my fault etc, and because they do not withhold the number, my phone rings. The calls are usually at teatime and are from numbers beginning with 02 or 03. I barr the individual number, then a few days later a new number calls.

I thought this type of nuisance calls were not allowed. If you google the number it always tells you it's a scam so why can't BT pull the plug on them?

When I lived in Shetland I never got a single spam call, but since moving I get inundated. Mainly to do with boilers and green energy. It started when I joined NPower. I've now bought one of those BT 8500 Call blocker phones and it's great, although it's annoying the purchase price has dropped quite a bit since I bought it in June. You need caller ID for it to work properly and I'll get that when I switch from BT later this month. I've even had spam/sales calls off BT themselves, although they did stop when I impolitely told them to!

I started reporting all the spam calls to Ofcom on their website. However, you have to give them your phone number and soon after I started to get lots of marketing spam phone calls as well. So it seems even Ofcom share your details with all and sundry.

The worse culprits are a single energy company that use 40-50 different numbers and lots of different company names to call you, so they're difficult to block. They are known spammers and have previously been reported as "unsavoury" characters. They have allegedly been in court on a number of occasions (or so it's reported on the internet). They phone nearly every day and often on more than one occasion. They now realise they can't get through to me during the day and so have started calling in the evening and weekends, even Sundays. On one occasion it was a person and not just a recorded message; I tried to tell them to stop calling me and take me off their list, but as soon as I started talking the individual on the other end of the phone was so rude he simply talked over me. They have been calling me regularly for a year now.

I've now set my phone to not even ring so I don't even hear the phone, everyone has to leave a message or get ignored. Auto callers can't leave messages because you have to press a key on the phone. Unfortunately it did mean I missed out on a cancelled hospital appointment though, because by the time I'd returned the call the cancelled appointment had been given to someone else. When my BT contract ends and I switch to another company in a few weeks I'll get caller ID and probably ask for a new phone number, Either way I'll be able to reset to phone to ring again and that'll allow me to answer numbers I want and block numbers I don't, so they can never phone me again. Unfortunately if I keep my present number the 'worse culprits' will just keep calling by setting up new phone numbers that I haven't yet blocked.

All that just because I need a phone line and the internet and people constantly pester me and try to sell me things I don't want.

Edited by Moody Blue

I decided to report a number to ofcom, but as I was completing the form it wanted too much private details, plus it said something about having to share these, so I wiped the form and gave up.

We used to be told that they couldn't do anything about these calls when they are coming from international numbers, but it also seems they do little even when it's UK numbers.

And to rub our noses in it, BT have put up all their phone charges again.

You get spam/scam calls on unregistered mobile numbers that nobody but the owner and phone provider know exists. I may be wrong, but it would seem to me the only way that can happen (or should be anyway) is if the caller simply programs their auto dialler to call every possible code/number combination a provider could have given out, and let it get on with it, finding the live ones by a process of elimination and covering every live number in the process.