Possible origin of the name Malakoff

MuckleJoannie

I was watching "Who do you think you are" last night featuring choirmaster Gareth Malone. He was looking back to find where his love of music came from in his family. One of his forebears was a gentlemen called Dan Lowrey who ran a music hall in Cleveland Square, Liverpool, just up from the docks. According to this book

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=czJmlUfBzNQC&pg=PA359&lpg=PA359&dq=malakoff+music+hall&source=bl&ots=ppr20Z9m-C&sig=vs5QDq8R7thThXLr5-1tZBUQkDU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAGoVChMIgKCsx_rvxwIVymwaCh1UYgFW#v=onepage&q=malakoff%20music%20hall&f=false

The Malakoff Music Hall was brought into existence during the 'fifties, by the late Dan Lowrey. It was situated in Cleveland Square and was a popular resort for youthful and ancient mariners.   In addition to variety performances, plays and pantomimes were also submitted. In one of Mr. Lowrey's advertisements (1864), he amusingly stated that there is “a private  box for captains  and gentlemen.” Outside the Malakoff there is a statue of Mr. Lowrey in one of his favourite Irish characters.

It was probably familiar to may Shetland seaman of the late 19th century.

I was watching "Who do you think you are" last night featuring choirmaster Gareth Malone. He was looking back to find where his love of music came from in his family. One of his forebears was a gentlemen called Dan Lowrey who ran a music hall in Cleveland Square, Liverpool, just up from the docks. According to this book

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=czJmlUfBzNQC&pg=PA359&lpg=PA359&dq=malakoff+music+hall&source=bl&ots=ppr20Z9m-C&sig=vs5QDq8R7thThXLr5-1tZBUQkDU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAGoVChMIgKCsx_rvxwIVymwaCh1UYgFW#v=onepage&q=malakoff%20music%20hall&f=false

The Malakoff Music Hall was brought into existence during the 'fifties, by the late Dan Lowrey. It was situated in Cleveland Square and was a popular resort for youthful and ancient mariners.   In addition to variety performances, plays and pantomimes were also submitted. In one of Mr. Lowrey's advertisements (1864), he amusingly stated that there is “a private  box for captains  and gentlemen.” Outside the Malakoff there is a statue of Mr. Lowrey in one of his favourite Irish characters.

It was probably familiar to may Shetland seaman of the late 19th century.

"Malakoff" quite possibly has different roots. The Battle of Malakoff occurred during the Crimean War and was fought between British and French forces against Russia on the 8th of September, 1855.

Did any Shetland men wind up fighting there?

^ I seem to mind Nessie telling us in a history class at the AHS longer ago than I care to admit, that it was named after the place of the battle, simply because at the time the original business on the site was established it was a very well known word on account of it having been the battle that brought about the end of the Crimean War. I suppose you could compare it to the familiarity folk have had to the word "Normandy" post WWII.

Right or wrong, I haven't a clue, but I'm not about to get in to an argument over it with Nessie, even if she's been gone a while now. ;-)