Manners Maketh the Man (and Woman)

BigMouth

Fast approaching 50 as I am I come from an age when we were taught to be polite to others. Does anything like this happen these days in classes at school?

I always stand back, hold the door open, and let people come through the shop doorway before I go through, especially if they are of the female persuasion. It's just manners as far as I am concerned. I expect a thank you, but notice in Shetland that I rarely get one, especially from any woman up to their mid-twenties. They always get a rather pointed "you're welcome" out of me if they don't say thank you.

It seems strange that Shetlanders on the whole have so many positive aspects. They can be warm, welcoming, kind and generous, but some seem to have missed the lessons in manners. Is this peculiar to Shetland or is it a wider problem?

Agree with your post - it's one of my pet hates also. I would, however, say that it seems to be the same all over the UK. Strangely, I've found that the elderly, rather than the youngsters, can be the worst offenders.

Having said that, I would be nice if certain shetlanders working in the service/hospitality industries would attempt a smile now and then.