EV Charging Shetland

Ichorus

The are currently 3 in operation within Lerwick.

1 at White House (council head quarters)

1 at Grantfield council offices

1 at Clickimin Leisure Centre 

with a further 6 being installed over the next couple of months.

1 at Ulsta Ferry terminal and one at Gilbertson Park which are both going to be Rapid chargers (30 minute charge)

1 at Fort road Car park

1 at Bixter Bus Exchange

1 at Boddam Shop

1 at Brae Health Center

These 4 will be Mini Charge points.

• 1 month later...

all put in this year. but unless your not touring about. i would say dont. distances are pretty big. would be cheaper to hire up here.   

Hi, my cars range is typically 90-100miles. Which is enough for the length of Shetland. Once the Rapid charger is in town that will be a great hub for a quick 30min charge (from empty) with others charging between 1hr and 3hrs. We also have a 3pin plug if we stay the night anywhere far away from a charger and out of range.

Hopefully by the time we come up though we will have one with 250+ mile range. 

The are currently 3 in operation within Lerwick.

1 at White House (council head quarters)

1 at Grantfield council offices

1 at Clickimin Leisure Centre 

with a further 6 being installed over the next couple of months.

1 at Ulsta Ferry terminal and one at Gilbertson Park which are both going to be Rapid chargers (30 minute charge)

1 at Fort road Car park

1 at Bixter Bus Exchange

1 at Boddam Shop

1 at Brae Health Center

These 4 will be Mini Charge points.

Thank you. Some of the charge maps I am using aren't showing all of these so this is really handy.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I can see using a normal three pin connection will take over 12 hours to fully charge, so Ok if you sleep nearby.

Yeah from 0% to 100% it has taken me as little as 10 hours on my 3pin. When you first plug it in it says 18hrs :)

Should rarely be at 0% though.

• 1 year later...

So a year and a half later I am finally popping up in my EV, just wondering if Boddam has it's charger installed?
I can't find it on the charing apps or network websites.

I should be fine as the car has 200mile range and I am staying somewhere with a charger.
I'll definitely be using the Rapid Charger at Gilbertson Park though.

Are there many EVs in Shetland? I know of an i3 owner.

• 3 months later...

Have seen 2 Tesla Model S' in Lerwick, and a couple of Nissan Leafs. EVs are the way forward, especially now that the VED has changed. Every brand new ICE car since April costs at least £140pa unless it's a pure EV, which is zero rated. Even PHEVs have a VED cost. 

These electric and hybrid cars are a complete joke, the carbon footprint to extract the low energy materials and battery is far more lethal to the environment than it will ever save.

Huge industrial mines with guzzling diesel plant and coal furnaces are how they get the materials.

The best way to save the environment is to maintain and keep your petrol or diesel car for as long as possible.

Edited by Property2017

These electric and hybrid cars are a complete joke, the carbon footprint to extract the low energy materials and battery is far more lethal to the environment than it will ever save.

Huge industrial mines with guzzling diesel plant and coal furnaces are how they get the materials.

The best way to save the environment is to maintain and keep your petrol or diesel car for as long as possible.

I kind of held similar beliefs but over the past 7 or 8 months I've been looking into the pros and cons and I've certainly had my eyes opened. Battery technology will be changing over the next few years. The current Li-Ion battery has its weaknesses, one of which is environmental cost during mining, but once the material has been extracted the benefits start. 1.Once mined and refined it'll always be above ground and can be reused over and over again. Fossil fuels a once only use. 2.The lifetime of these batteries will far outlast the car they will be used in. There are at least 3 EV taxis in use in NY City that have well in excess of 500k miles on their clocks. Each one has their original batteries, and they still hold over 70% of their original capacity. 3.Once the batteries have been removed from a vehicle at the end of its life, they can be reused in what is called 'second life' as power storage for homes/offices/factories.  If you listen (as I once did) to the likes of Jeremy Clarkson, then petrol will be the only choice forever, which is clearly ridiculous. There is currently research going on into developing clean batteries which will greatly reduce the environmental concerns and they are hopeful of improving charging speed, capacity and lifespan. The only thing I can do is point you in the direction of Robert Llewellyn's (he of Red Dwarf and Scrapheap Challenge fame) Youtube channel, FullyCharged, which is very informative. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzz4CoEgSgWNs9ZAvRMhW2A