Will sleep on someone's floor, need a place to rent urgent.

Scaler

The problem is you're not saying much and it makes people wary. Nobody knows who you are, where you come from, where you live, where you work and why you have nowhere to sleep. Those are questions that should be answered, I looked at your Shetlink profile and there's nothing except you joined Shetlink less than 48 hours ago. It's hardly surprising there are no takers. If you fill in all the gaps you may get a better response.   

Don't give up hope....

Only the week before last there were loads of locals willing to share their homes with disadvantaged(?) people from the Middle East (and elsewhere). 

Maybe one or two of the kind hearted, generous and, altruistic people (who shouted so loudly on here) might make you a similar offer..

After all, charity does begin at home..

I'd have offered but sadly live nowhere near town so can't be much help. I'm sure a few who spoke in the same manner when it came to refugees would also be willing to help if they could. 

But of course it's easier to feel good about yourself if you pretend they were all insincere...

Ho hum...

Good of you to excuse(?) yourself whilst offering apologies on behalf of others and then, in closing, you couldn't resist taking a dig at me..  Pretty lame really...

As for your assertion that others "would also be willing to help if they could".  Well, you must be pretty well connected to have that information but, if they can't help "one of our own" right now, how on earth do they expect to help refugees(?) when the time comes?

Oh, and by the way, I wasn't "pretending" anything.  I was illustrating (in my own cynical way) that it is very easy to make promises(?) in the heat of the moment.  It's "coming up with the goods" that's the difficult bit..

Peter.I I'll message you about my situation and everything - I guess the reason I'm keeping it so shush is because its not a nice situation to be in and what people would be thinking of me and so on. But if somebody messaged me asking, I would explain everything

Don't give up hope....

Only the week before last there were loads of locals willing to share their homes with disadvantaged(?) people from the Middle East (and elsewhere). 

Maybe one or two of the kind hearted, generous and, altruistic people (who shouted so loudly on here) might make you a similar offer..

I'd have offered but sadly live nowhere near town so can't be much help. I'm sure a few who spoke in the same manner when it came to refugees would also be willing to help if they could. 

But of course it's easier to feel good about yourself if you pretend they were all insincere...

Ho hum...

Good of you to excuse(?) yourself whilst offering apologies on behalf of others and then, in closing, you couldn't resist taking a dig at me..  Pretty lame really...

As for your assertion that others "would also be willing to help if they could".  Well, you must be pretty well connected to have that information but, if they can't help "one of our own" right now, how on earth do they expect to help refugees(?) when the time comes?

Oh, and by the way, I wasn't "pretending" anything.  I was illustrating (in my own cynical way) that it is very easy to make promises(?) in the heat of the moment.  It's "coming up with the goods" that's the difficult bit..

I have no time for people who say one thing and do another either Colin, hence my long standing invitation to you to reconcile the apparent contradiction between Pastor Niemollers poem which you quote, and your own quite palpable intolerance towards disenfranchised people.

By all means be critical, but criticise with dignity. Poorly informed and juvenile rambling does damage not only to your own credibility, but also to the good and necessary work which is being done by very many sincere and devoted people who are trying to mitigate as best they can the effects of a truly appalling war in the Middle East.

The council have a legal obligation to house the homeless have they not?

Well yes........and no.  There is a legal obligation to help some homeless people but I fear young males are kind of low priority.  And of course there is the get out clause of "intentionally homeless".  As in if the original poster had a home somewhere else and gave it up to move to Shetland to get work (even if there was no work where he came from) he could well be excluded from any help.

I was in a similar situation when I was the same age as "Scaler".

Not much (if any) support for young homeless men.

I did eventually get a council house, but had to apply in joint name with a good mate in a similar situation, got joint tenancy and got along fine - it was kind of like being in digs when I was at college and not a problem at all.

A short while later my mate moved in with his girlfriend (now wife) and all I had to do was request sole tenancy by letter, which was granted without a problem.

A convoluted method, but it works as long as you don't mind sharing a house for a while. 

Don't give up hope....

Ho hum...

I offered a dig at you because the accusatory tone of your initial post warranted such a response. You clearly implied that people's offers in the case of refugees were insincere, which I find very ill-spirited given the lack of evidence you hold for such a claim. There are clear differences to be acknowledged in this case - while refugees fleeing wartorn countries are likely to take whatever accommodation they can get, Scaler is required to be more choosy given his need to get to work in town. My home in Unst isn't much use to him in that case, is it? The same goes for my country-based friends who have made similar offers for refugees but sadly could not help in this case. I don't need to be particularly "well connected" to speak for "a few", as I explicitly did. 

Again, your closing comments just read as plain rudeness rather than cynicism, to me. You're painting as black and white something that is anything but, and you're doing so as an excuse to call people dishonest. 

Edited by hjasga