Self-sustaining Shetland

BGDDisco

so your reply is we should be ruled by westminster. and yet the english councils are and have been cut by 20%. liverpool has lost 58% of funding in real terms. so before people complain loudly just remember it could be much much worse. 

Are you saying that we should just "shut up and take our medicine"?

From where I am standing, Shetland is more than a nett contributor to the UK economy.  Why, therefore, should we take "less" from the pot to which we contribute so handsomely?

As for Liverpool, et al..  I don't really care about them.  If they aren't "producing", go figure it out..

At first I was appalled by this statement about Liverpool, but then I thought... Would they give a fig about us in Shetland? Most likely not. So... stuff them. 

Edit:

Anyway, the budget cuts, no matter where they originate, must surely work to the advantage of the Wir Shetland campaign.

Edited by BGDDisco

so your reply is we should be ruled by westminster. and yet the english councils are and have been cut by 20%. liverpool has lost 58% of funding in real terms. so before people complain loudly just remember it could be much much worse. 

Not sure who you're aiming this at, but as you don't seem to have noticed, we are ruled by Westminster.

Any reduction in funds made available to councils nationwide is wholly down to the failure of the puppets and muppets lower down the totem to harass Westminster and create enough merry hell to make Westminster too scared not to hand down a decent cheque.

It doesn't help any Scottish council get a decent deal that since the inception of the Scottish Parliament theres one more layer of monkeys to negotiate through before they get to deal with the organ grinder. A layer of monkeys which themselves consume a sum of cash by their very existence, that even if half of it were instead distributed among the Scottish LA's, would make a significant difference.

The Scottish government had the opportunity to increase the Scottish rate of income tax today to help mitigate the cuts but they failed to do so.

Well, they woundn't, would they. Not as long as blaming Westminster for cuts is winning them their main political capital. Truth be told, its not more tax that folk should be paying to offset any shortfall from Westminster, its the Scottish Government that should be continually lobbying and harrassing Westminster to ensure a good deal. You don't hear of much if any of that going on, they seem to just sit back, accept whatever Westminster decides to give them, then moan about how little they can do with it, and Westminster, regardless of who is top dog down there, isn't going to just hand out more and more money, it needs to be worked for, if not fought for.

Don't ask, doesn't get.

I've tried to keep out of the political arguments but this really shocked me

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2016/02/10/councillors-condemn-worst-settlement-as-budget-agreed

I'm ready to drop Scotland like a stone, we'd be miles better off without them.

I see political arguments are now OK as long as it's the Scottish government getting attacked.

I find it very telling indeed.

Reading some of the letters and comments in the Shetland Times and here, it seems that sticking the boot into the SNP whether it's justified or not is a much higher priority than any kind of autonomy for Shetland.

I've tried to keep out of the political arguments but this really shocked me

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2016/02/10/councillors-condemn-worst-settlement-as-budget-agreed

I'm ready to drop Scotland like a stone, we'd be miles better off without them.

I see political arguments are now OK as long as it's the Scottish government getting attacked.

I find it very telling indeed.

Reading some of the letters and comments in the Shetland Times and here, it seems that sticking the boot into the SNP whether it's justified or not is a much higher priority than any kind of autonomy for Shetland.

Capeesh I think you will find no-one is saying Westminster Good, Holyrood Bad as some would seem to imply. The fact of the matter is the Scottish Government are the ones that have been involved in most of the recent bad decisions that are negatively impacting Shetland. 

Tory austerity can be blamed for some of these ills but certainly not all. It is the Scottish Government who have imposed a 5.1% cut on SIC funding (more than any other area), bungled CAP payments for crofters, consistently underfunded Shetlands Education budget and centralised our police service (and plan on further removing call centres from the location of the emergency).

Not only this but if you cast an eye to the West Coast of Scotland you see the contempt with which they are treating the fishermen there. Introducing Marine Protected Areas risking the viability of many coastal communities and for what? To appease the Greens some say. Would anyone like to see similar plans enforced up here? Would the Scottish Government listen to the wishes of fishermen were they to achieve the fabled goal of independence whilst renegotiating entry into the EU or would they follow in the footsteps of Westminster in the 70s and sacrifice the industry for the perceived greater good of the nation?

Neither Westminster nor Holyrood serve our interests in an acceptable manner. If we want to preserve our way of life for future generations we must achieve meaningful autonomy so that our core interests are not ignored.  

^^^I thought you wanted us to remain under British sovereignty as a British Overseas Territory.

If the Tory government's willing to slash funding to councils they control in England and risk Scottish independence by slashing the Scottish budget, I can't see them giving up control of the revenues they collect from the waters surrounding Shetland.

This is a serious question, put my mind at rest, if this isn't some kind of anti SNP thing as I suspect, how on earth are we going to gain control of our EEZ (as I've heard asserted) by having it under the sovereignty of the UK?

My earlier post (#203) had various links to the facts about being a BOT, it seems to me that if we become one we would still suffer Tory austerity, only it would be worse because instead of having representation in Holyrood and Westminster we would have an appointed Lord Governor in charge, looking after UK interests.

Edited by Capeesh

It makes no difference a Fiscal case has not been made all we have heard it surplus income levels but nothing about costs and most important no indication and what actual taxed income Shetland would have to provide the services required.

transport

Health

Social care

Police

Courts

Prison

Roads

Infrastructure to mange affairs

Benefits

where does the balance of payments sit positive negative and how have you arrived at these conclusions

I read the wir Shetland facebook and web site stories and frankly a lot of drum banging and no facts now where have I heard that before recently Oh yes SNP and the dam referendum

Edited by brian.smith

^^^I thought you wanted us to remain under British sovereignty as a British Overseas Territory.

If the Tory government's willing to slash funding to councils they control in England and risk Scottish independence by slashing the Scottish budget, I can't see them giving up control of the revenues they collect from the waters surrounding Shetland.

This is a serious question, put my mind at rest, if this isn't some kind of anti SNP thing as I suspect, how on earth are we going to gain control of our EEZ (as I've heard asserted) by having it under the sovereignty of the UK?

My earlier post (#203) had various links to the facts about being a BOT, it seems to me that if we become one we would still suffer Tory austerity, only it would be worse because instead of having representation in Holyrood and Westminster we would have an appointed Lord Governor in charge, looking after UK interests.

Why would they let the Falklands control their EEZ if they could just claim it as their own.

the last line in this link http://www.offshorepost.com/premier-oil-scraps-drilling-rig-with-immediate-effect/shows the Falklands government controls their EEZ

^^^The UK controls the seabed around the Falkland islands according to the link HERE

This quote from the link sums it up...

The Foreign Office minister, Lord Malloch-Brown, said: "Successful completion of this process will confirm the boundaries of the UK's jurisdiction over its continental shelf, thus ensuring our sovereign rights to manage the shelf for future generations."

The UK document deals concisely with the Argentinian counter-claim, stating: "The UK has no doubt about its sovereignty over the Falkland Islands, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands and the surrounding maritime area."

Edited by Capeesh

^^^ Could not have said it better myself Ghostrider! We are not seeking to be a carbon copy of any other self governing island group. The point is there are many examples which show it can be done and from which we can take inspiration about which aspects work well and which don't. 

Regarding the Fiscal case we do have rough some rough figures but we are constrained by the fact that the SIC financial report only comes out every 6 years. Fortunately the last one was 2010 so we will perhaps have another this year. 

You should bear in mind this campaign is in its infancy and Wir Shetland is not a political party claiming to have all the answers. We are campaigning for self governance. Should we achieve a referendum on whether it should happen or not there will be plenty of time before then to provide voters with the information they need to make an informed decision.