Self-sustaining Shetland

BGDDisco

As far as pensions go going wir ain wye wid be the best thing for future pension security. Those that have paid in to UK system would be entitled to that but all future pension contributions would be to a Shetland pension scheme which unlike the UK would be fully funded. As it is our pensions rely on enough folk paying tax for an ever increasing pensionable population. It is close to crashing as it is, when it was conceived you retired at 65 and died at 66 and when this balance remained it was affordable, now folks are living 20 to 30+ years as pensioners and a sustained economic downturn will mean pensions are unaffordable. If you have savings in the bank or a private pension getting it out of the reach of westminster/EU is highly desirable before either decide to dip into our savings and issue us bonds instead.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/12243-plans-for-new-whalsay-fish-factory-in-doubt

This is the type of project which an autonomous Shetland would be free to encourage. The SIC/SCT would rather back Viking Energy than something like this. Sickening. The centralisation of services and closure of rural schools will destroy Shetland if allowed to continue. 

^^^ Why didn't Tavish Scott have this epiphany when his party was in power In Holyrood, he was a front bench minister was he not?

He could've asked his pal Alistair Carmichael to bring it up at Westminster when he was Secretary of State for Scotland, what better opportunity?

Does Tavish want to withdraw from the EU and the UK now?

I hope this is in his party manifesto, I don't want to be misled by the Lib Dems again.

^^^ People's positions change all the time, perhaps he is simply listening to his constituents who he claims are after more autonomy?

Wherever your political beliefs lie I think taking this opportunity to examine Shetlands future should not be ignored. 

^^^ If Tavish wants to withdraw from the EU and end Westminster rule this is a massive shift in policy and completely at odds with what he's campaigned for in the past.

Do the LibDems know about this seismic shift in policy?

Is this another "no tuition fees" moment when they say one thing to get elected and totally forget about it when in government.

Edited by Capeesh

He is talking about devolution of powers to Shetland and for us to have the ability to determine our own future within the UK or Scotland. He is not saying we should withdraw from the EU, Holyrood or Westminster, simply agreeing that if the people want the choice we should have it. 

^^^ I agree with you regarding the failure of the Lib Dems during the coalition government. However I do believe that Tavish tries his best for Shetland and I don't think he would be taking this stance so forcefully if there was no desire for it amongst his constituency. 

I believe Shetlanders will only tolerate so much injustice before radical change starts to seem appealing. Endless cycles of cuts and school closures, plundering of our natural resources, poor governance from the SIC, Holyrood, Westminster and Brussels, rising fuel poverty, poor broadband/mobile phone provision, ever increasing centralisation both within Shetland and within Scotland and plenty of other issues which need addressing are leading people to question if there is a better way. 

People are rightfully distrustful of the motives of politicians in far off capitals, few of them care about our small island group or understand our interests. We need to be able to govern ourselves. 

^^^ Tavish is using any method possible to retain his seat in the run up to an election.

If he really cared about devolving powers to the island communities why didn't he do it when he and his party had the power to do it?

It's so easy for the LibDems to promise utopia when they know they won't win anywhere near enough seats to form a government, in essence they've turned into a protest party.

Having to actually find the money to defend our communities from the harshest Tory cuts in living memory is something they won't need to worry about.

The LibDems themselves participated in those devastating cuts when they worked hand in glove with the Tories in the last government and now they have the brass neck to complain about the effects of their actions.

You said a few posts ago ...

"Our MSP is on board with the aims of wir Shetland it appears."

He argued for the pooling and sharing of resources in the UK in the Scottish referendum as part of the "better together" campaign.

Wir Shetland wants Shetland to have control our EEZ

He campaigns for continuing membership of the EU, unless things have changed drastically I assume he'll want Shetland to remain in the EU.

Wir Shetland wants out of the EU.

The only objection I can see he has regarding Holyrood/Westminster is the fact that other parties were democratically elected as majority governments, he didn't seem to mind them when they were in charge.

Wir Shetland wants self government.

• 4 weeks later...