Self-sustaining Shetland

BGDDisco

The £72 million is as stated the excess tax revenues raised in Shetland compared to all monies received from external sources. The figures come from a report commissioned by the SIC and are not disputed by either westminster or holyrood so we can take it as genuine. So in answer to the question £72 million + tax from earnings in Shetlands EEZ ie the rigs + oil revenue from the production + corporation tax from all companies operating in Shetland waters + increased revenues from the fishing industry would go a hell of a long way, certainly a lot further than the repeated cuts from holyrood.

as for external services like health we could carry on buying this from NHS grampian and other health trusts in Scotland as we do now with the money we receive back from central government and accounted for in the figure given earlier. Or we could shop around as long as the treatment remains free to the patient then why not look to provide the best we can with our money.

Do we know what Shetland costs the public purse 

Please explain what reason you have to think that Shetland costs the public purse anything? Obviously, you've missed the fact that Shetland pays more into the pot than it gets out. Shetland gaining autonomy would be a money-saving exercise in itself, as is true for Scotland. That's possibly why they want out as well. The UK is a horrendously expensive place to run and at the moment we have to pay our way in keeping the WasteMonster, and the EU mandarins, in the style that they like to keep themselves in, and at present we have no argument on that. We need to get out.

Edited by George.

I have not missed the point at all--How much public money does Shetland require annually?

Would doubt if Shetland puts in more than it takes out .

Lets remember many of the "bigger firms" are operated by establishments  out with Shetland Tesco for one. 

Where does that profits go,but of course it is the taxable side we are concerned about ---we could hammer them and chase them away  :rofl:

I have not missed the point at all--How much public money does Shetland require annually?

Would doubt if Shetland puts in more than it takes out .

That's only half the point, if even that much. Its not just how Shetland balances its books right now, its not even how Shetland could balance its books if Shetland was receiving the full benefits of all its resources, both natural and otherwise, its also about how much more profitable Shetland could make itself if it were exclusively in charge of its own destiny.

You need to think outside the box to see the potential that exists, its about making the most of what we have and opening up new income streams. God forbid that Shetland has no aspirations beyond just muddling long as we are should we secure local self determination, for if thats the case, we my as well quit and capitulate to the will of the Scottie now and make Skene our undisputed leader..

That's only half the point, if even that much. Its not just how Shetland balances its books right now, its not even how Shetland could balance its books if Shetland was receiving the full benefits of all its resources, both natural and otherwise, its also about how much more profitable Shetland could make itself if it were exclusively in charge of its own destiny.

You need to think outside the box to see the potential that exists, its about making the most of what we have and opening up new income streams. God forbid that Shetland has no aspirations beyond just muddling long as we are should we secure local self determination, for if thats the case, we my as well quit and capitulate to the will of the Scottie now and make Skene our undisputed leader..

I like many others well remember how our oil money was squandered,by I am sure by very well meaning trusted elected councilors. 

Nothing but opposition and discontentment seems to follow almost every decision that the Charitable Trust ever makes.

I'm afraid my faith in any council or organisation running all of Shetland Affairs is very low and I have little faith because they can never agree amonst themselves,far less keep us the public happy.

Self Sustainability for Shetland would in my opinion be a total catastrophe and I pray it never happens.

Yes, I remember all the SIC's oil money shenanigans, and I remember the days of the ZCC before them, who had no money to mess with but seemed to be equally inept. I'm not disputing that the SIC have made a pig's ear of more than they've gotten right, in fact I'd have no hesitation of telling thm that to their faces any time. However, I think its being harshly unfair to conclude that what we have ended up with sitting as SIC Councillors is the best Shetland can muster by way of politicians.

Its been said before, pay peanuts, get monkeys. The SIC only has a little power, hence it tends to attract mostly the wannabes, those who have grossly inflated self worth, and those looking for a free "status" trip more than anything else. Up the stakes, and I would suggest precious few of those who have been a Councillor previously, or those of the same ilk, will get a chance to get anywhere near a Shetland Government. Rather, those with the nouse, talent and drive to work smart and get things done, will realise that they need to get in there and make Shetland as a stand alone work, or their own enterprise(s) will go down the tubes with the isles.

I don't really follow how the SCT is proof of anything though. They've never been democratically elected or answerable to anyone but themselves, it was bad enough when it was run as a little side "club" by the SIC, but since it adopted the incestous "chosen few" appointment system, its gone down the tubes properly. I don't recall much criticism as long as the SCT was financing everything they took on to finance, its only lately that they've attracted flak through their indiscriminate cuts across the board regrdless of "need" or "charity", their support of high risk speculative investment proposals instead of the medium/low risk reasonably reliable investments that have served them adequtely in the past, and them rapidly become an even smaller "old boy's club" than they'd been previously.

Being in politics is a bit like falling overboard from a ship,if you are a good swimmer and the tide and weather are favouriable and you have the correct clothing,with luck one might survive. 

As soon as someone is elected be it local council or otherwise,once they enter the debateing chambers what ever was promised on the doorstep or manifesto will be history,one being greatly influenced by those around and the political situation as it affects things at that time.

The political scene changes from day to day as we all know and what was probably a good idea yesterday might not be so appealing today.

For instance who could have foretold the seriouse drop in oil prices,fine for those of us just buying fuel,but a very different story for those depending on it for a living.

Steel industry is another example.

Yeah ! how would "a sustainable Shetland " a small island group cope with situations of this magitude :ponders:

^ You develop multiple income streams, the old adage about eggs and baskets and all that. Any enterprise, be it a one man band or a huge world nation that relies on only one income stream to survive, however good it may be, stands a damn good chance of suddenly finding themselves up that creek paddleless.

Branching out on our own is obviously a gamble, and is very far from risk free, but when the alternative is to stick with Holyrood and let them bleed us dry to the point of bankruptcy, I'd say it was a gamble worth taking while we still have resources available to give it a fighting chance, as if we wait until Holyrood is done with us we won't have a pot left to piss in.

^ You develop multiple income streams, the old adage about eggs and baskets and all that. Any enterprise, be it a one man band or a huge world nation that relies on only one income stream to survive, however good it may be, stands a damn good chance of suddenly finding themselves up that creek paddleless.

Branching out on our own is obviously a gamble, and is very far from risk free, but when the alternative is to stick with Holyrood and let them bleed us dry to the point of bankruptcy, I'd say it was a gamble worth taking while we still have resources available to give it a fighting chance, as if we wait until Holyrood is done with us we won't have a pot left to piss in.

With the economic situation as it is at the moment ---You must be jokeing but regarding the pot I could always go out in the garden to the rear of the shed as long as nobody sees me so will not worry to much about that potty bit :rofl:

Bye the bye will Nicola be arriveing by Northlink,or chanceing Flybe,or has she got a private jet  :roll: Fog  for Monday!

Edited by Urabug

With the economic situation as it is at the moment ---You must be jokeing....

Not at all. When times are harder you push your "recession proof" income opportunities. If there's one thing you can rely on when times are harder, folk are all keener to get more for their buck, so give it to them and cream off on a "pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap" philosophy. Think "booze cruise", offshore banking, flag of convenience etc type services. Works well enough elsewhere, why not here too?

Bye the bye will Nicola be arriveing by Northlink,or chanceing Flybe,or has she got a private jet  :roll: Fog  for Monday!

Bleh! There must be a election coming up soon, they're letting them out of captivity to roam free range again. Its a sure sign. Lock up your babies, there'll be mandatory photos with any they find next. Put her on the boat, I don't want to risk accidentally bumping in to her down here if she chances Flybe.

Edited by Ghostrider