Self-sustaining Shetland

BGDDisco

@ Capeesh - My apologies.

However, the scheme is for businesses where the premises have a combined rateable value of up to £35,000 - how many businesses do you reckon that affects then in Shetland? Right now, you've got a situation whereby council tax is frozen affecting the income of local authorities. How many properties in the street are exempt? And there's no money in the pot to regenerate the area so you've got Living Lerwick wanting businesses to make voluntary payments to them in order to get cash.

Whether you like it or not, someone somewhere along the line pays for these types of scheme in one form or another.

No apologies necessary, but thanks anyway.

Regarding the amount of Shetland businesses it affects, I just googled the stats, it shows that there are 752 non domestic properties in receipt of rate relief.

The SIC were providing rate relief for small rural businesses long before the snp "came up" with it.

The Mossbsnk houses was a mistake as what the SIC should have done was build temporary accommodation to address the temporary need for Sullom construction accommodation.

Date protection as an excuse for not encouraging home working or rural hubs is just that, an excuse. Data protection is no better protected in one big building in a town or city centre.

The houses in Mossbank were certainly no mistake,they were intended to house the Sullom Voe construction workers and then the staff required at the terminal after the completion of construction.

This is more or less what happened,but thanks to the good wages and conditions that most if not all of those employed on site enjoyed,many were in a position to get good mortgages and consequently proceeded to built there own houses.

This was good for the community as a whole in Shetland,created extra work ect,but lead to the de-population of many of the houses at Mossbank  and with little or no jobs available in the area it was impossible to find tenants to occupy them. 

The mistake was the SIC thought it would be better to have separate developments in Voe, Mossbank and Brae. What should have happened, as is happening anyway, is that Brae should have been developed as the centre of population.

Big companys as we all know have had there security compromised with many folks bank details released for example

I would think Gita of Sanjay being paid peanuts for sitting in some call centre in Mumbai with full access to bank customer's info is a far greater "security risk" than Osla or Magnie sitting at their fire in Gulberwick or Waas composin a report on litter bins, or writing up the agenda for some committee meeting.

Besides, apart from whatever financial info anybody has been fool enough to let SIC Finance get their hands on, what among the rest of the waffle the SIC generates has a quick and easy cash in value to a hacker. Arguing with folk over planning permission or bitchin at somebody over dog sh*te isn't the first you think of when seeking data that can sell for enough to be worth the bother.

Guess it is easier to keep an eye on someone in an office environment than watch them at  some remote address !

Please define "Remote."

1mm to infinity. :ponders:

Remember George if you have £1in your pocket then you can be sure that someone else wants it,so you try to look after it.Well it is the same with these computers there is always someone "hacking" away trying to get through the security and get there hands,or in this case there eyes on what ever information they can for there own benifit or to sell to someone else.

Big companys as we all know have had there security compromised with many folks bank details released for example

Offices probably have a better system of security deployed among there servers than one might have at home.

Millions of folk are working from home useing computers,I guess it is no different to say driving,most of the time no problems then someday "crash" someone runs into you or you into them. The consequencies of course can be serious.

But this is 2016 and we have to embrace this modern tecnology and overcome it's many problems.

Urabug, skillful as ever, you have included,

"1mm to infinity.  :ponders:

Remember George if you have £1in your pocket then you can be sure that someone else wants it,so you try to look after it.Well it is the same with these computers there is always someone "hacking" away trying to get through the security and get there hands,or in this case there eyes on what ever information they can for there own benifit or to sell to someone else.

Offices probably have a better system of security deployed among there servers than one might have at home.

Millions of folk are working from home useing computers,I guess it is no different to say driving,most of the time no problems then someday "crash" someone runs into you or you into them. The consequencies of course can be serious.

But this is 2016 and we have to embrace this modern tecnology and overcome it's many problems.", within what I put forward as a quote of what you said. That is a downright error.

An apology would not be too much to expect for what implies that I've come out with the rubbish you've written.

Edited by George.

I would wonder what the UN CAN say given that the right to "self determination" is enshrined in it's charter.

Just read a very interesting Wikipedia entry on Norfolk Island.  It's Wikipedia so, cannot really guarantee it's absolute accuracy but, seems to me that there might be a little "dirty dealing" and a bit of a "land grab" going on.

Also, given that 68% (quoted) of the population were against the move, looks like there might be to much power/authority in the hands of to few people..

• 2 weeks later...

So the dust has settled from the election now. Our preferred candidate won and our Chairman has resigned. We are now focused on the rescue of the charitable trust, sorting out a conference/EGM to elect a new leader and the EU referendum.

I wonder if any of the posters on here who were previously on the fence about joining WS and were put off as a result of our outgoing Chairman's media contributions are now more willing to join? 

Joining now would allow anyone the chance to elect a new Committee and help form new policy in the near future. 

^^^ To be clear I am not criticising our previous Chairman. He did a great job of getting us where we are now. Just mindful that a few contributors on here were unhappy with his (and others) statements. 

Now that there is going to be a vote for a new leadership those reasons for not joining seem less valid? 

Wow! are You expecting Wir Shetland to tell us what to eat and drink next ?

We are already doing our part in this household as we usually buy local milk,but of course taste and price will influence many others. 

Would be a shame to lose the dairy,am I correct the only one left in Shetland.

Well it it unlikely that anyone will be able to dictate to our local supermarkets what they can import,so the future of the dairy and all the farmers and crofters who supply this dairy,really relys on us all to buy local milk and support them.

Guess it is as simple as that.

Ma'be the charitable trust could help subsidise the dairy :twisted:

Yes,MuckleJonnie just as i thought,down to the last one and unfotunatly  I can remember when we had several dairies and milk was delivered to your home in bottles and plastic bags. I must be getting old.