Self-sustaining Shetland

BGDDisco

^^^Paying to be a colony isn't appealing to me at all.

How much will they charge?

Will they just keep taking what they take now?

If so, whats the point?

This is starting to sound like a worse deal than we have now.

All the taxation but no representation.

Is that not the main reason the British Empire collapsed?

I'm sure I read something about a shipload of tea in Boston.

^^^Let me see if I'm getting this then so I can understand, I certainly don't want to mislead or be misled.

a)The UK treasury currently collects 100% of the tax revenues from the waters surrounding Shetland.

b)We want to have our own EEZ so it follows that the UK will lose 100% of the revenues from the waters surrounding Shetland.

c)We want to be a British colony and are willing to pay some kind of colony tax.

d)If the UK doesn't agree Shetland will unilaterally declare independence.

Is this right? yes or no

My understanding is as follows;

a) Yes

b)Shetland could demand 100% of the revenues from our EEZ but in practicality a deal would be struck with the UK Government and revenue would be divided. 

c) We would not be a "colony". We would have full fiscal autonomy and British citizenship. Look up British Overseas Territories and British Crown Dependencies for examples. The UK would provide defence and foreign services (embassies etc) but the revenue deal would cover the cost of such services - possibly fisheries policing also but that would have to be negotiated. 

d) If the UK doesn't agree Shetland COULD unilaterally declare independence, that would of course be up to the Shetland people to express such a desire democratically. 

Edited by whalsa

"d)If the UK doesn't agree Shetland will unilaterally declare independence."

It is my understanding that the UN Charter (of which the UK is a signatory) guarantees peoples(?) the right to self determination.

If this is indeed true then, the people of Shetland could decide whatever they want and, the UK Government would have to (eventually) swallow it..

Would we have to dress up and perform for our imperial masters from London when they visit?

Would we have to kiss the toes of an appointed Lord Governor?

Would this be so different to what some folk do voluntarily already anyway. Just look at the kerfuffle and airing out of "Sunday best" that goes on whenever any Royalty of senior politician turns up.

As for "Lord Governor", we have one, in all but name. He stays in Burra when he's not presiding over the rapid demise of the (un)Charitable (dis)Trust, and from the way the pot is getting divvied up, it would seem a "chosen few" must be kissing his feet, or at least kissing some part of him, from the favours that are going their way at the cost of those least able to help themselves.

Still not seen any figures yet

Figures for what Brian? If you had attended our launch then you would have seen some crude figures, used to illustrate the viability of our arguments. More concrete figures will become available long before any referendum is held. 

its Hard to plan for these things living in Fair Isle so if you can point to some info that would be good

Edited by brian.smith

a) Yes

b)Shetland could demand 100% of the revenues from our EEZ but in practicality a deal would be struck with the UK Government and revenue would be divided. 

Not full control of our EEZ then, just whatever the UK is willing to give up (which I suspect will be a big fat 0)

I was led to believe we would have 100% control of our EEZ, maybe I just got the wrong end of the stick.

Best of luck with the campaign though and thanks for the reply.

Still not seen any figures yet

Figures for what Brian? If you had attended our launch then you would have seen some crude figures, used to illustrate the viability of our arguments. More concrete figures will become available long before any referendum is held. 

its Hard to plan for these things living in Fair Isle so if you can point to some info that would be good

Brian, have a look at Wir Shetland and there's also a WS Facebook page that's worth checking up on. Have a read of them and see what you think.

a) Yes

Not full control of our EEZ then, just whatever the UK is willing to give up (which I suspect will be a big fat 0)

I was led to believe we would have 100% control of our EEZ, maybe I just got the wrong end of the stick.

Best of luck with the campaign though and thanks for the reply.

We would have full control of our EEZ, and it would have nothing to do with what the UK was willing to give up.

We would pay a mutually argeed (annual?) levy to the UK in return for them providing us with defence, diplomatic etc or whatever was agreed upon, services. By default that cash would have to come from somewhere within our EEZ, but its source would be our choice, and the amount along with what we received in return for it would be negotiated by us and agreed by us before it started. Unlike now, when we get what we're given, and they take whatever they see fit for it.

If we can't agree a deal with the UK, we go it alone, either providing those services for ourselves, or negotiating their supply from an alternate source.

If a place like Pitcairn where the productive land mass and population is comparable with Foula or the Fair Isle, whose income streams are only very restricted tourist and fruit export trade, and selling stamps/postmarks, currency, domain suffixes etc, can mutually agree a workable for both parties BOT with the UK that gives them a 230 mile EEZ, its very difficult to see why it couldn't happen here also.

Edited by Ghostrider