Self-sustaining Shetland

BGDDisco

@Suffererof1crankymofo I am aware all the figures can't come from the SIC. All I was saying is there is much work to be done and this is just the beginning. 

@Rasmie this campaign is not anti-english or anti-scottish it is pro-Shetland. All we want is control over our own affairs so that we can create a fairer, more efficient, more democratic more prosperous society. You are right about the siphoning of resources. The oil is one thing but the destruction of the fishing industry is in my eyes unforgivable. With self governing status we can ensure that Shetlands interests are never so blatantly ignored again. 

@Capeesh we would not be a British "colony" we would be a self Governing nation within the British realm. You would not call Faroe a colony of Denmark would you? As a matter of fact the situation we are in now is more like a colony from the Imperial Age, our resources are plundered and sent from our shores to benefit people in a distant land, we have laws imposed on us which we did not choose and have little to no control over, we are often forgotten by people in the rest of the country. I could go on. Obviously we do not suffer the savage brutality of colonial regimes of the past but I was simply making a point. Self government would be much less like a colony than the current set up. 

The British empire is no more, why would we want to be a British colony?

The Falklands, Gibraltar, British Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Tristan da Cunha and the rest of them seem to be doing okay being ones. As are numerous others with similar status from other nations.

If being a British colony is so great why did most of them leave?

You forgot about the native population of the British Indian Ocean Territory who were evicted so the USA and UK could build a military base.

Would we have a governor?

Would we be the first non colony to want to be a British Overseas territory?

If being a British colony is so great why did most of them leave?

Perhaps because it best suited their situation(s). Their situation(s) were their's though, not ours, and it would be up to them to answer that. While total independence might be the preferable option in an ideal world, in this one its difficult to see how it would better Shetland's situation, whereas some sort of Overseas Territory, Dependancy or suchlike comes over as potentially viable and beneficial.

You forgot about the native population of the British Indian Ocean Territory who were evicted so the USA and UK could build a military base.

Didn't "forget" them at all, just didn't mention it as it had no relevance to the point at hand. Population "displacements"/eradications/ethnic cleansing has been performed by just about every nation on earth at one time or another, and by many accounts is still ongoing by a good few even as we speak. A quick trip round relatively recent history will soon prove regardless whether the target are/popultion are a remote micro-nation or a sizeable population on a large land mass, if the boss wants them shifted, they'll be shifted, one way, or another.

Would we have a governor?

Would we be the first non colony to want to be a British Overseas territory?

I don't seem why either or both shouldn't be on the table, and then it would be up to the electorate to choose, or dismiss.

Hi Whalsa, registered to comment on this because I understand and agree with your stance in theory, however I'm a bit concerned in practice - about 3,000 people work for the council, would they all lose their jobs if we decided to disregard the Scottish government? What happens to mortgages and bank accounts? 

Hi Whalsa, registered to comment on this because I understand and agree with your stance in theory, however I'm a bit concerned in practice - about 3,000 people work for the council, would they all lose their jobs if we decided to disregard the Scottish government? What happens to mortgages and bank accounts? 

In the event of autonomy there would be a transition phase, it would not happen overnight. While the SIC in its current incarnation would cease to exist there would still be a large public sector for employees to work in as potentially we would have more departments and services to provide on our own. The aim of this campaign is to make everyone better off not cause mass unemployment. Regarding mortgages and bank accounts it would be ensured that these were unaffected.

@Ghostrider I believe there has been some contact between the group and people in Orkney but I will have to check. Incidentally I agree with you, the two island groups would compliment each other well IMO. 

Divide and conquer ...Westmonster ploy that has served them well so far 

fionajohn this is no ploy by Westminster I assure you. This is a grass-roots political movement started by the people of Shetland for the people of Shetland. The only way we will be "conquered" is if we allow things to continue the way they are instead of standing up for ourselves. 

started by the people of Shetland for the people of Shetland ---correction, started by a group of people in Shetland for some of the people of Shetland .

I'm one of many people in Shetland that so far has not agreed to anything so therefore should not be included !

Divide and conquer ...Westmonster ploy that has served them well so far 

fionajohn this is no ploy by Westminster I assure you. This is a grass-roots political movement started by the people of Shetland for the people of Shetland. The only way we will be "conquered" is if we allow things to continue the way they are instead of standing up for ourselves. 

started by the people of Shetland for the people of Shetland ---correction, started by a group of people in Shetland for some of the people of Shetland .

I'm one of many people in Shetland that so far has not agreed to anything so therefore should not be included !

Apologies Urabug I of course was not presuming to speak on behalf of everyone in Shetland! I was merely pointing out that this is entirely home grown and isn't some sinister plot by the Tories or anyone else. The group may have been started by a small number of Shetlanders but believe me when I say the intention is for our campaign to benefit everyone. 

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. I hope a majority of Shetlanders will support the campaign but I certainly don't assume they will. Support has to be earned.