'L' plates on the Isles?

klanky

Does anyone have a definite answer to this question:

If you're driving a car on a provisional licence on Unst, for example, is it legal to carry a passenger that does not hold a full car drivers licence?

A source for the info would be good as well, I'm struggling to get a reliable statement on this!

Edited by klanky

Thanks for the response and link, MJ.

It tallies with what I thought - there's no clear direction regarding passengers who are not qualified to supervise. 

Assumption is a dangerous thing, but I'm assuming that the lack of written prohibition regarding non license holding passengers on exempted isles makes it Ok to carry them.......

Edit: Scrub that. I've just seen section 8 - 

( The holder of a passenger-carrying vehicle driver’s provisional licence shall not drive a vehicle which he is authorised to drive by that licence while carrying any passenger in the vehicle other than—

(the person specified in paragraph (2)(a), or

(a person who holds a passenger-carrying vehicle driver’s licence and either is giving or receiving instruction in the driving of passenger-carrying vehicles, or has given or received or is to give or receive, such instruction.

So the answer is 'No'. No passengers unless accompanied by a full licence holder.

Edited by klanky

Thanks for the response and link, MJ.

It tallies with what I thought - there's no clear direction regarding passengers who are not qualified to supervise. 

Assumption is a dangerous thing, but I'm assuming that the lack of written prohibition regarding non license holding passengers on exempted isles makes it Ok to carry them.......

Edit: Scrub that. I've just seen section 8 - 

( The holder of a passenger-carrying vehicle driver’s provisional licence shall not drive a vehicle which he is authorised to drive by that licence while carrying any passenger in the vehicle other than—

(the person specified in paragraph (2)(a), or

(a person who holds a passenger-carrying vehicle driver’s licence and either is giving or receiving instruction in the driving of passenger-carrying vehicles, or has given or received or is to give or receive, such instruction.

So the answer is 'No'. No passengers unless accompanied by a full licence holder.

Just an addition to that... 

Section 13 (sub A). Lays out what is meant by the term 'Exempted Island'. That is all it does. Nowhere does the regulation actual 'use' the term 'Exempted Island' therefor I would assume that nowhere is exempt from the national regulations on driving. 

Page 4 of the Department of Transport information pamphlet on motorcycles suggests that motorcycles are exempt from the regulation but I couldn't say why.  http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20090807113316/dft.gov.uk/think_media/241027/241127/newtinf330mopedsandmcycles.pdf