New AHS roundabout

Davie P

New AHS roundabout  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you personally have trouble negotiating the new AHS roundabout

• Yes
    • No

Feel sorry for anyone living opposite this roundabout,imagine having to cross with a child in buggy,another bairn in hand and a few bags of messages just to get into your home. It's going to be a struggle surrounded with many dangers. :ponders:

As has already been stated,an accident waiting to happen

If you look at the photo above, you will be able to see the large central islands with dropped kerbs - creating safe areas half way across. Something that certainly didn't exist beforehand.

An improvement, I'd say.

Edited by Scorrie

Scorrie--how can it be an improvement,a driver could stop next to the pavement ouside there own door,drop of passengers and any goods then park the vehicle across the road before,but now will have park up first across the road and then unload vehicle .

A good driver always trys to drop of passengers in a way that avoids anyone having to cross the road.

Will it be possible to stop on the roundabout and let folk on and off ?

If the road had been extended all the way from Westerloch arround the loch it might have been possible to enter/exit North Lochside with adequate lane provision of course,without the need of a roundabout.

Vehicles going south would then have gone out via Westerloch,causeing less congestion on North Lochside. :ponders:    

Edited by Urabug

Scorrie--how can it be an improvement,a driver could stop next to the pavement ouside there own door,drop of passengers and any goods then park the vehicle across the road before,but now will have park up first across the road and then unload vehicle .

A good driver always trys to drop of passengers in a way that avoids anyone having to cross the road.

Will it be possible to stop on the roundabout and let folk on and off ?

Ok, I see where you're coming from, Urabug. That's a fair comment - I thought you were speaking generally and not specifically about the houses affected by the roundabout.

But how much further down is the layby now? Is it still a do-able distance? I'm racking my brains and can't picture how far away the dropoff/layby now is.

Scorrie-- Its a matter of convenience really if we are ablebodied and not burdened most of us do not mind walking a little bit, but I for one always like to get as near my gate as I can and I'm ablebodied ! 

Anyone not so able will find this not so easy now,should they be unfortunate to live in any of the houses "on the roundabout"

Hmmm...

Would Kavi care to detail their qualifications, training and experience and knowledge of the project requirements and constraints, and therefore competence, to justify making such observations?

No.

The bottom line is, it's a "pig in a poke" and although traffic can navigate it, it's just a squiggely, cluttered, "on it's side" contraption.

When the new AHS is open it'll be a congested hole with buses, cars and everything else trying to come and go.

The raised centre obstructs a lot of your vision in relation to what's happening on the other side and is also a terrible waste of space.  The Tesco one is far better because it's flat and you can see all that's happening.

It's here now and it's not the end of the world, but it's just a shame common sense didn't prevail with it being a roundabout that was bigger/more open and helped the flow off traffic and wasn't like an obstacle course.

Edited by Kavi Ugl

If the road had been extended all the way from Westerloch arround the loch it might have been possible to enter/exit North Lochside with adequate lane provision of course,without the need of a roundabout.

Vehicles going south would then have gone out via Westerloch,causeing less congestion on North Lochside. :ponders:    

Its the only sane and logical solution, and it can only be presumed the reason it hasn't happened is either stupidity, or political. It'll no doubt come in a few years though, it wouldn't be the first time the SIC have created something all whistles and bells, only to rip it up and start again in no time.

I'm not getting this argument some are putting forward that it *must* be good as it meets "design standards". Being within a design standard just means something can theoretically perform to arbitarily set tolerable limits the function for which it is intended, which is a wholly different thing than it doing that job well. Think Trabant or 2CV vs. Ferrari or Roller.

I was behind Garrick's articulated cement truck on Lochside this morning which had no problem heading north around the roundabout whilst another truck headed from the north into the site. 

It seems to me that most of the complaints I've heard are theoretical rather than actual, hence the wording of the poll question. But as a wise man (probably) said "never let the facts get in the way of a right good pleepse" ;-)

There is plenty room to negotiate the roundabout and visibilty is really good. The roundabout will certainly be needed for traffic coming from the new AHS onto Lochside. Getting out of the t-junction at Clickimin Centre on to Lochside is a nightmare at busy times so imagine what it would be like at the new AHS junction if it was a t-junction instead of a roundabout. I'm more worried that 3 folk answered 'yes' on this poll

I

I'm not getting this argument some are putting forward that it *must* be good as it meets "design standards". Being within a design standard just means something can theoretically perform to arbitarily set tolerable limits the function for which it is intended, which is a wholly different thing than it doing that job well. Think Trabant or 2CV vs. Ferrari or Roller.

Did you forget "Titanic"..  :razz:

Seriously though, went through there today on the Town Service bus and, no problems..  Just have to wait and see how it works out..

.....if it went any nearer the practice/rugby pitches the council would of had a huge bill for disposing material from the old dump.

I'm struggling a bit with this. The old dumps, extending to a number of acres have already been almost entirely overbuilt with numerous different things, without the cost of dealing with the dump remnants being "prohibitive" to any of them. Whats so different about this piece which can't be much bigger than your average garden thats sending the cost so high?

I'm not disputing that the dump came this far NE, but it must have been a very long time ago. When the dump was last active 35+ years ago, the main area in use was much further SW, in the vicinity of where the running track is now, and everything between Bruce Crescent and the pitches was already grassed over, and had been for quite some time give the accumulation of old growth in the area.

Personally I think the real complaints will only start once the AHS is in use and there's regular usage in/out in that direction, as to my eye coming from the north and turning in is what'll irritate most people most when they use it.

@GR - traffic lights cost a fortune to install and maintain so I wouldn't bank on them being a cheaper option. Even if the council had opted for an 'ordinary' junction, there would inevitably have been costs involved in regrading, diverting services, drainage, kerbs etc.

As for putting a road around the rest of the loch - how much would that have cost? Not only that but it would be safe to assume that a lot of the outbound traffic using it would be wanting to turn right/head south at the Westerloch/South Road junction. Good luck to anybody - and bus drivers in particular - trying to do that at a busy time of the day without the help of a roundabout or lights. And cue once again the pleepsin' about costs/disruption/the wrong design if it had to be altered or it being 'an accident waiting to happen' if it wasn't.

On the whole, there was a general consensus that the council made the right decision to opt for Clickimin over the Knab for the new school. It seems that all we've heard fae sine has been that everything is wrong with it - the loss of the campsite, the helicopter pad, the impact on centre users, the design of the building and now the roundabout.

Reading Ian Halcrows comments on the ST news article should really put this whole issue to bed. But then what would he know?

Edited by shetlander

Ghostie, regarding traffic lights vs roundabout:

Roundabouts are always a preferable option as they keep the traffic flowing. Even with lights that are sensor/intelligence based, there will always be a longer delay whilst the light sequences changes to allow, say, one or two cars through the system that have been sat waiting for the main flow to be halted. With roundabouts folk will just slot into the gaps.

I'd say that the roundabout is the more expensive option, but the benefits will become apparent at skool chucking out time on a busy Friday evening on what is already quite a busy through road.

And given SIC's inability to maintain traffic light systems........ :ponders: