Library relocation

Davie P

So it seems the Lerwick library may be moving back to its old premises. I read that the core structure of the old library is sound after all.

I seem to remember that the building was condemned way back about 2001. That was one of the reasons given for moving into St. Ringans I believe. Surprisingly the old building was refurbished after that for council offices, perhaps sound enough for that purpose.

Now if the building was condemned in 2001, does that mean that the core structure has improved overthe years? If that is the case we might get much longer than the estimated 30 to 50 years out of the building.

Who was responsible for condemning this building way back in 2001, and wasnt he aware that the building would improve with age?

Interesting proposition, but it certainly doesn't make for a positive headline on the same day that education cuts are back on the agenda http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2015/11/23/library-could-make-900000-return-to-former-site

It's being proposed to make a revenue saving though, so your conclusion regarding education cuts isn't all that logical. If there are capital funds available that can be used to make long term revenue savings, that is exactly the sort of thing the Council should be considering.

Colour me cynical, but I'd be more inclined to believe the proposed savings to be had were there a clause that forbid anyone involved with the plan from relocating offices to St. Ringans after the switcheroo.

Besides, I hear the bookies are offering pretty good odds on, after moving back to the old building, a brand new library building proposal coming in 2020.

To reply to Brochbuilder - I think it was probably a 'consultant' who condemned the building. Another waste of our money.  The new/old library will be better suited for the needs of all Shetlanders who use it, who also live outside Lerwick.  the money to be  spent on it should not be confused with monies allocated for education, which is quite another thing.

If this process of condemned structures rising from the dead is for real, we could be quids in! We won't need to do all the restoration work on the Town Hall (bet's that a consultant wrote that plan?).

The great thing about Government is there is NO accountability. It is unlikely you could round up any of the culprits (councillors or employees) involved in the last move, nor penalise o hold them responsible in any way. It's just Government money anyway, and there's always lots more where that came from, just ask anyone (anyone even remember the Norrona, Bressay Bridge, AHS 1,2 and 3, sacked Chief Executive and all the other old stuff)?

And now we can return to the Library, back where it always should have been all along!

Not so many years ago when I required information,it was head for the library now I Google it .

When I'm traveling or on holiday  i see more and more folk with electronic books (Kindle) ect..

Is there an online Library service where one can download a book for a fee that would remain useable for a set period of time,eg pay additional fee or book would erase after a given time?. 

We have to remember that the old library was also the museum ,so do we really in this day and age need a building of this size.

Well they say a rest does you good,it certainly has worked wonders on the old library/museum building ,what a tranformation indeed I expected the bulldozers to move in not this. 

It makes one wonder how much has been needlessly destroyed in the past because someone said it was done when it was not ..

I'm the wrong one to comment on this really as i use the computer for all my "reference library stuff" and therefore sure I'm not alone so wonder just how busy the library really is in this modern day and age of electronic equipment.

Is there an online Library service where one can download a book for a fee that would remain useable for a set period of time,eg pay additional fee or book would erase after a given time?. 

There is an eBook service

https://shetland.libraryebooks.co.uk/site/EB/ebooks/faq_out.asp

You can also get magazines online

http://www.shetland-library.gov.uk/eMagazines.asp

I don't really understand why the library is moving back to the old building. Maybe it's the ghost that is rumoured to haunt the building where the library is just now that's scared them back to the old building? or lack of space or something, but it seems all quite a waste of money to me.

I am not a library user, last time I was there was around 20 years ago when I was a youngish boy in the old library so I can't comment on what the "new" library is like, but don't recall hearing any one complain.

Modern technology most be had a impact on the library as with most other businesses. But there is still a lot of folk who likes reading a real book instated of reading a book on a computer screen, so I would not say the library days are numbered.

A question that I have asked before is, why does the library not put on all the reels of old Shetland Times newspapers online? Charge every user a annual fee, think that would take in some money.  

Thank you for the ebook links Muckle Joannie, it is also very interesting to browse the library website. I had a librarian friend once who impressed upon me the need to check the quality and veracity of my information before expessing views. I have not always stuck to this good advice, but I'm sure I'm not alone.

I did however read the report being referred to

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/coins/submissiondocuments.asp?submissionid=18615

And it does not seem as if the library is gaining space, rather it seems the library is being asked to condense itself into a single building, so that other services can move in. If this means the council reduces buildings overall, maybe that is good news for the budget, but I just hope the library service is not getting second best again.

I have not used Shetland Library in some years, but have used others and found them fantastically helpful.

^ Wasn't the original plan thirteen years ago that the library was to all be in one building - the kirk. It was only when they tried to, after spending god knows what on a refurb/conversion, that it was found to be unworkable. Can we trust that they've managed to measure up any more accurately with their plan this time?

Reducing the number of buildings is fine, but that'll only happen *if* the lot in the Bruce Hostel move out, and *if* they then sell it. Given that what'll happen to the whole current AHS site hasn't been "officially" made public yet, and the Bruce Hostel is integral to that site, there's an awful lot of 'i's' to be dotted and 't's' to be crossed, which won't happen fast, before any of those *if's* are known one way or another. Counting chickens before they're hatched springs to mind.