Family Fun in Shetland

Hi All,

I'd like to go up to Shetland again, some time next year.  I'd like to take my eldest son (20) & also the youngest (11).

I love Shetland & certainly feel a connection to the place; ideally, I'd like to visit in February & in the Summer, but sadly, I'm short of the required funds to do both.

I can't make up my mind as to the best time to visit; since my Mum's family is from Shetland, it'd be nice to see an Up Helly Aa procession, but most are outside the school holidays.  I appreciate, of course, that the Up Helly Aas aren't intended to be for the 'benefit' of visitors from outside Shetland, but it would be nice to see a torch-lit march.

There is a window of opportunity to see either the South Mainland Up Helly Aa or the Delting Up Helly Aa - both of these take place at Half-term in February.  But the problem of visiting at that time, is that the weather might prevent us from doing anything else . . . . . . . I'd like to take the boys on a fishing trip and on a boat trip to Noss & I'm not sure if either of these would be feasible in February (?).

I'm finding it hard to get any information of interesting/fun events that might be happening later in the year - does anyone know of any fun events  - preferably participative, that might take place in later in the year ?  

So, do we go up in February and hope to watch see part of the South Mainland or Delting UHA (and try to make the most of weather) or do we wait for school holidays in May or the Summer, when we have more chance of the boat trip(s) and a chance to see puffins etc ?

My 11 year old has been to Shetland previously,but he was very young at the time, so remembers nothing about it; I'd really like him to have a very memorable time there - as I did when I first visited (also aged 11).  I stayed at my Grandparent's croft on East Burra and I thought that Shetland was absolutely marvellous - still do, actually.

I would come up in May or Summer and show your kids the puffins, boats, fish, etc.

Up Helly Aa is incredible but everything around and about is shut.  Really SHUT!  The day after is a public holiday so, again, everything is shut while some nurse a sore head.  There are no, to the best of my knowledge, touristy things open that time of year.

Delting Up Helly Aa is great fun and if that is during your half term, I would go for it   You won't be able to go on boat trips at that time of year - apart from the RoRo ferries to other islands!   As Frances says July and August would be best for touristy stuff - visit to Noss, boat trip around it, day trip to Mousa, fishing in sea or loch provided you have a licence, beautiful beaches (Sumburgh/Spiggie/St Ninian's Isle, Tresta in Fetlar, Westsandwick on Yell and many more).

If you can't find a fire festival to fit in with school holidays, you could always try visiting in summer and going along to one of the carnivals. Unstfest is a very popular event in Unst with all sorts of activities for those of all ages (so something to do for both your 11- and 20-year-old). There's also a carnival procession that, whilst not torchlit due to the summer daylight, is attended by several Jarl squads in full regalia. 

That takes place  16th-24th July next year. At roughly the same time (a little earlier perhaps) there is the Scalloway Gala, which is another weekend of various activities and a carnival procession. They've occasionally carried torches at the procession for that but again it is in fairly broad daylight due to the time of year. 

Other carnivals take place throughout the isles in summer, so whilst you'd not be getting the authentic UHA experience, it's maybe a better holiday on balance, as coming in January/February limits options for other activities (especially anything outdoors). 

If you can't find a fire festival to fit in with school holidays, you could always try visiting in summer and going along to one of the carnivals. Unstfest is a very popular event in Unst with all sorts of activities for those of all ages (so something to do for both your 11- and 20-year-old). There's also a carnival procession that, whilst not torchlit due to the summer daylight, is attended by several Jarl squads in full regalia. 

That takes place  16th-24th July next year. At roughly the same time (a little earlier perhaps) there is the Scalloway Gala, which is another weekend of various activities and a carnival procession. They've occasionally carried torches at the procession for that but again it is in fairly broad daylight due to the time of year. 

Other carnivals take place throughout the isles in summer, so whilst you'd not be getting the authentic UHA experience, it's maybe a better holiday on balance, as coming in January/February limits options for other activities (especially anything outdoors). 

Many thanks indeed, for all the suggestions !

On balance, I think that a Summer visit would be best, especially if we can take in a visit to Unstfest - which would tie-in well with school holidays.  I've actually got relations on Unst  - though I've never met them.  

I can't wait to get up to Shetland again, if the weather is decent, there's no finer place.

If it's summer I would recommend taking your kids canoeing/sea kayaking I remember really enjoying it when I did it as a teenager.

I went from the Bridge end outdoor centre as part of a group. The sea around there was flat calm and the scenery amazing, no training was required that was a good few years ago though.

Sea Kayak Shetland advertise trips on their website the Shetland Canoe club and the Bridge End Outdoor centre also have websites.

Gonna have another look at that Sea Kayak Shetland website myself, the photos there have made me think about going for it myself.

Edited by Capeesh

• 1 month later...

I've booked my holiday in Shetland - which happens to be at the same time as UnstFest  - Yay !

One thing though, we'll be staying on the Mainland . . . . . . I'd appreciate it, if anyone could tell me what time in the day, the last ferries go from Unst and Yell.  If we were to catch the last ferry of the day to Yell, would that give us time to catch the last ferry of the day from Yell to the Mainland ?  And would we need to book - I didn't the last time I went up to Unst.

Can't wait for this holiday - especially if the weather turns out to be half decent.

Am I correct in thinking, that during UnstFest, there's a half marathon or 10k event ?

If so, can anyone tell me anything about the course - a single loop, or laps ?

If I aim to do the event when I get to Shetland, it would (hopefully) provide me with an incentive to get outside and do some training . . . . . . . rather than staying indoors, drinking beer and eating doughnuts  :mrgreen:

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I'm off up to Shetland with my family in early July - can't wait !

Can anyone recommend anywhere in Shetland, where I might be able to take my son to do a spot of fishing from the shore ?

Our fishing equipment is pretty rudimentary - it's more an exercise in keeping my son occupied for an hour or two.  We shall be staying on West Burra, so suggestions of any fishing points not far away from there would be much appreciated.

Thank you !