Fly May-Be

Frances144

I am by nature a worrier but this evening I will be a hundred times worse.

My daughter is flying home from Edinburgh to Sumburgh in a very nasty South-Westerly gale.

With Loganair/Flybe's appalling record of technical faults, delay resulting in a letter from the pilot's union "Balpa last month wrote to Loganair about the worrying condition of the planes, and there have been many technical problems resulting in delays – one in four flights in recent weeks has been 15 minutes or more late." (Shetland Times)

I don't care if they are late or early (much) but I do care about flight safety and tonight is going to be horrid weather.  I have this nagging fear that it will take something catastrophic to stop Flybe/Loganair from continuing to brush their safety and reliability problems under the carpet, which is very much what I feel they are doing at the moment.  

So my day will be spent worrying.  I will drive very slowly and carefully down to the airport and then pray to all the gods that I see my beautiful daughter walk down that corridor towards me (and perhaps even her baggage).  Home for Christmas.

I have absolutely no faith in Flybe/Loganair at all.  I pray it doesn't take something awful for something to be done and tonight is not a night to be flying around in a unreliable plane.

And yes, I know the pilots dont take off if they think for one minute things are not 100%.

I can certainly understand you worrying but while pilots might still take off if they do not things are 100% no pilot flying for any British airline would fly if they did not believe it was safe to do so.  And for another reason not based on safety but simple costs no pilot would attempt a flight if he did not believe there was at least a reasonably good chance that the airport would be open for landing when they got there.

And that leads to another safety issue.  If weather conditions were too bad or indeed if there was something wrong with the airport equipment the airport authorities would simply close the airport.

As for the Saab aircraft they are noisy and cramped but actually they fly rather well.

"I am by nature a worrier but this evening I will be a hundred times worse."

"I have this nagging fear that it will take something catastrophic to stop Flybe/Loganair from continuing to brush their safety and reliability problems under the carpet, which is very much what I feel they are doing at the moment."

"So my day will be spent worrying.  I will drive very slowly and carefully down to the airport ..."

"And yes, I know the pilots dont take off if they think for one minute things are not 100%."

Counselling can work wonders.  As for driving very slowly, I sincerely hope you drive in accordance with the road conditions and the highway code, and don't hinder other motorists.  Seriously, if worrying is getting in the way of your day-to-day activities then seek help.

frances just ignore. i was on the last plane back on tuesday and it was pretty bad. first time ive flown in 24 years. very different than the larger  jets. landing was bouncy. i feel sorry for the cabin staff is there really need to serve a drink on a 45/50 minute trip. frances you drive how you want to. its the drivers responsibility to drive at a safe speed for themselves. if some one wants to pass they can. i suspect we know who know Shetlands weather conditions better. and over your fear it normal when you see weeks of reports on safety faults to be concerned over your loved ones. on a positive note airstaff were wonderful. 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The problems of Flybe are now nothing compared to the the fiasco of Ryanair.

The travel plans of many locals will be further compounded with all this uncertainty .

More stress for anyone planning or who has already planned a winter break.

Ryanair should now be named dyanair.  Difficult to see how they can survive this one.