Gaelic teaching

north

So this is the latest agenda of the Scottish Government? The SIC is closing schools and slashing it's budget in order to stay afloat and now they are going to have to make tuition in Gaelic available?

My child would like to be taught French, Mathematics, Chemistry or PE in Gaelic please? Interestingly, they would have to be taught Gaelic in English, because they don't know how to speak it.

What a load of utter ballcocks!

Bring back music lessons - the international language.

• 4 weeks later...

Gaelic has as much relevance in the modern world as Klingon. Hold on, there's probably more Klingon speakers in the World.

Hey, who care about the cost - it's just Government money that appears magically from space, or somewhere.

Eh, no. There are only a few fistfuls of American nerds who speak Klingon.

Its nice to see Scotts Gaelic being promoted, hope they do a better job of teaching it than in Ireland.

My children, mercifully,  have completed their education as far as Shetland is concerned, and very good it was too.

But I must object in the strongest possible terms to our children being force fed Gaelic in our schools. We have a Scottish government who are hellbent on this kind of nonsense.

Not only do we have no history here of Scottish clans, tartan, kilts, highland games full of caber tossers, those ridiculous tam'o'shanters, or the most damnable of musical instruments bagpipes, we have no cultural connection whatsoever with the gaelic language.

It belongs in the north west of Scotland and the western isles, and that's where it should stay. We have more people in Shetland speaking Chinese than Gaelic. Let's teach Hungarian, or Polish maybe, we have more of those speakers here, we belong to the European union.

If the powers that be are so obsessed with this ancient language, give the Western Isles the cash to promote it there.

Please God save us from the policies of this nationalist government, and keep them out of these isles. 

My children, mercifully,  have completed their education as far as Shetland is concerned, and very good it was too...

Please God save us from the policies of this nationalist government...

I agree education in Shetland is great, our teachers do a wonderful job, incidentally is it not the Scottish curriculum that's taught in our schools?

Apart from no tuition fees, not a bad policy imho, aren't you glad our children don't have to pay £9k a year for our world leading university education like they do in England? I know I am.

Or free prescriptions, I for one am glad we don't tax illness here.

Free care for the elderly is a good one too, personally I'm glad they're still committed to this.

Then the fact they effectively scrapped the bedroom tax in Scotland, a particularly stupid Tory/LibDem policy.

The rate relief scheme they run for small businesses, I have family who've benefited from this.

Leaving these policies and a few others aside, I agree, our children would be better off learning languages other than Gaelic, saying that I was taught French in school and never used it once.

So you're advocating teaching an obscure minority language to an Island population that has virtually no historical or cultural Gaelic links? 

:ponders:

I don't see the harm in making it available anyway, if nobody teaches obscure minority languages they are all going to die out

^ Offering it is fine *if* there's any demand for it, as long as the powers that be in Edinburry don't insist every secondary school has a language teacher on staff qualified it teach it "just in case" anyone wants it, and/or something else more valuable, or relevant to a greater number of pupils isn't being squeezed to let their Gaelic in.

Given the near dearth of relevance or prevalence of anything to do with Gaelic locally, the whole idea rather reeks of yet more pointless paperwork, box ticking and wasted Admin time which in the current climate of ever deeper education cuts, is unjustifiable.

^ Offering it is fine *if* there's any demand for it, as long as the powers that be in Edinburry don't insist every secondary school has a language teacher on staff qualified it teach it "just in case" anyone wants it, and/or something else more valuable, or relevant to a greater number of pupils isn't being squeezed to let their Gaelic in.

Given the near dearth of relevance or prevalence of anything to do with Gaelic locally, the whole idea rather reeks of yet more pointless paperwork, box ticking and wasted Admin time which in the current climate of ever deeper education cuts, is unjustifiable.

It would be nice if the decline could be reversed though, hate seeing time and money wasted on bureaucracy meself

So you're advocating teaching an obscure minority language to an Island population that has virtually no historical or cultural Gaelic links? 

:ponders:

I don't see the harm in making it available anyway, if nobody teaches obscure minority languages they are all going to die out

I'll agree that offering it is fine, no problems there. But any attempt to issue a Garlic fatwah proclaiming all in Shetland must learn - or that resources should be diverted to bolster an unwanted/demandless minority subject must be resisted.

Edited by Scorrie