Car insurance

whitenessie

We had a car accident due to black ice and insured with Admiral. Just a few pointers to note regarding the claim

They said we had not used one of their garages for recovery so we're not covered. This was OK when they realised that their garage was in the North of Scotland BUT if you have an accident it may be safer to contact your insurance before recovery is booked.

The body repairs - again they do not have a garage on Shetland, note if they give the go ahead to use a garage here who said that, date and time, as every call we make they seem to have missed reading this. In their notes.

There is a difference between hire car and courtesy car. This may be obvious to most people BUT if your car can be repaired and you have fully comp your insurance may state you can have a courtesy car.

From their arranged garage and if they don't have one, from their chosen car hire firm ... admiral use Enterprise .. That is not in the small print but they insist we cannot have one at the moment. I've suggested them putting an enterprise car on the boat in that case! So they are 'considering' local firms, but worth checking with your insurance.

If the car is a write off you cannot have a courtesy car ..

If you took out the extra hire car insurance you can have a hire car if the car is written off or stolen.

THAT IS AN EXTRA.

Hope this helpful, oh and a courtesy car only comes into operation once the work commences. So Christmas or a time with lots of accidents is very inconvenient!

• 8 months later...

Thank you for bringing this up, seeing as we're looking at moving to Shetland and I seem to be prone to people crashing into me.

My latest crash, where a girl came out of a side road and into the front of my truck, demolishing the front end was a load of faffing about and this was with Admiral too. They wanted to use an approved, local garage near me in Manchester and their nearest one was in Birmingham somehow.

It has made us think about this sort of thing should we move up to Shetland. 

How are the garages  etc for repairs or maintenance up there ?

I'm insured with Admiral. I had a prang on ice at the beginning of the year. I had excellent service with Admiral and Lerwick Autobody Repairs who made a splendid job of the car. 

The only problem I see with getting a car serviced or having mechanical repairs done is that not all marques have a dealer here. 

it can take a time to be done. wifes car was parked at tesco and a bus knocked off her front bumper it took a month to fix. if dependent on insurance for a backup car you could be stranded it takes at least 24 hours to get a hire car. aa/rac is daft to we all know its jims that pick the cars up. never been sorted on the road yet. but they insist on their script. so it does no harm to be aware they will faff about for about an hour before jims is contacted.  

I'm insured with Admiral. I had a prang on ice at the beginning of the year. I had excellent service with Admiral and Lerwick Autobody Repairs who made a splendid job of the car. 

The only problem I see with getting a car serviced or having mechanical repairs done is that not all marques have a dealer here. 

That was another worry that the Mrs had was with serving/warranty work etc. I think my Hilux would be ok for most places to sort out. 

it can take a time to be done. wifes car was parked at tesco and a bus knocked off her front bumper it took a month to fix. if dependent on insurance for a backup car you could be stranded it takes at least 24 hours to get a hire car. aa/rac is daft to we all know its jims that pick the cars up. never been sorted on the road yet. but they insist on their script. so it does no harm to be aware they will faff about for about an hour before jims is contacted.  

Sorry for another question. What is the situation with AA/RAC? I'm guessing it is poor/not much help.

Cheers for the replies and sorry if this is getting off topic.