ShetlandDictionary.com

Gary

Shetlopedia.com have launched a sister site ShetlandDictionary.com to continue their succesful Shetland Dictionary Project. Created and managed by the Shetlopedia.com team, ShetlandDictionary.com was created to record the Shetland language and make it available to everyone.

ShetlandDictionary.com is an online dictionary which anyone can edit. As with Shetlopedia.com, the website is built using Mediawiki. This allows users to go onto the website and add their own words, images and recordings. We have created a Shetland to English version of the dictionary and we're currently working on an English to Shetland version as well. Both versions are available now through ShetlandDictionary.com. We're also making recordings of the words and sentences being spoken so visitors to the website can listen as well. (any volunteers to record a few words?)

Yesterday, Radio Shetland announced that the Shetland Folk Society are planning a similar website to be launched towards the end of this year. We want to make it clear now that neither the Shetlopedia.com team, or the Shetland Folk Society have copied the idea from the other group. We were unaware of their intentions and it seems unlikely that they were aware of ours.

We do think that it is a wasted effort having two competing sites, and that both groups have a lot of enthusiasm and experience to offer this sort of project. So we will contact the Shetland Folk Society and discuss how we can work together.

The Shetland Folk Society website is still not live, so ShetlandDictionary.com will continue as planned, collecting and promoting Shetland words. At last count we had over six hundred words in the dictionary, and it continues to grow quickly. We hope that words from both sites can be merged into one site in the future. The Internet gives Shetland a unique opportunity to preserve and share its language, something that no other media can compete with. We should use this opportunity when we still can.

If you are interested, take a look at the website http://www.shetlanddictionary.com, and if you know of any words that we've missed, please add them in, or post them as a reply to this message and we'll add them.

We are continuing to improve both websites. ShetlandDictionary.com will soon display a new page for each word in the dictionary, with images, recordings of words and sentences, and where possible details of where the word comes from (Scots, Norn, etc). Shetlopedia.com now has over 450 pages of content and over 200 photos so we're categorising and indexing pages to make it easier to find articles of interest.

If you have any questions then please contact me through either of the websites, or private message me through my Shetlink account.

Regards

Gary

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Why? I'm saying nothing until I know the reason for wanting to identify the guilty.

So you're the one responsible for paaps, pillie, pintle, pish, pished, turdten, Simmerin Toms, tifter, Tiftin Simmond and dröltin tree?

Has anyone ever heard of Simmerin Toms, Tiftin Simmond and dröltin tree? Are they for real? If so, where can I buy them??? Late Valentine's pressy. :P

Why? I'm saying nothing until I know the reason for wanting to identify the guilty.

So you're the one responsible for paaps, pillie, pintle, pish, pished, turdten, Simmerin Toms, tifter, Tiftin Simmond and dröltin tree?

Has anyone ever heard of Simmerin Toms, Tiftin Simmond and dröltin tree? Are they for real? If so, where can I buy them??? Late Valentine's pressy. :P

Ahhh....nope, not guilty, somebody beat me to it, more's the pity. They were already there when I found the site. I have my suspicions who it was, but I'm saying nothing....

They're for real, definitely, just been obsolete for a long time. You never know though, maybe there's a niche market there that could rival Ann Summers just waiting to be tapped in to.... :wink:

• 7 months later...
We're also making recordings of the words and sentences being spoken so visitors to the website can listen as well. (any volunteers to record a few words?)

No volunteers yet?

Could some dialect speaker plz record some shetland sentences and post it with shetland subtitles on YouTube, like this irish guy has done?