Underage drinking

wotsit

I come up with a fantastic idea recently & i titled it "kid coaching" Mums n Dads Aunts n Uncles etc.. switch off the tv for 1 or 2hrs in the evenings, get on the streets & spend time with the kids coaching them, communicating, advising & nurturing them in a social sense, freeing time for the authorities to tackle serious crimes.

OK maybe not right but come on how many of us did this ,maybe not out in public,  but at times of celebration ect. [newyear being one such time,} there are not many folk who can honestly say that not a sip of booze passsed their lips before the legal age.Silly yes....right of passage maybe.By the way this happens all over not just Shetland.

Is the level of under age drinking any different than its always been, or is it just the same but being done more in plain sight. Early teens (myself included) acquiring drink and having more of it than probably was entirely wise was relatively commonplace 40 years go, and inevitably from time to time somebody or other would make a tits of themselves by going far too far.

Teens will drink, I think that needs to be accepted, as come hell or high water they'll get some from somewhere. We did anyway. Doing so while supervised by adult(s) would certainly be the preferable way to do it for the good of everyone, but if that's not happening then maybe better its done in full public view where if somebody passes out face first in someone else's puddle of pish, somebody will be around to haul them out of it and call for help s and if required, unlike us who headed for a bolt hole somewhere we wouldn't be noticed or found in a hurry. We all survived what we got up to, but that had mostly to do with luck, not responsible planning.

Edited by Ghostrider

There is a difference having a good time and having a drink.

There is a difference having a" sip at home " and clearly getting plastered out in public with some little over 14 yrs.

Yes it does happen all over doesn't make it right, and doesn't make it right turn a blind eye and let your kids out when most know full well the kids are going out and getting drunk.

If police can pull up adults why are they not dealing with the underage drinkers.

Bottom line, it is illegal for kids to be drinking or drunk in public, whilst your never going to stop kids drinking the police should be dealing with them and notifying the parents when in public what is point of cctv and the police.

You will never stop speeding in a car but the police do not turn a blind eye to it if they see someone.

What is going to happen at Up Helly Aa?

Children under 16 are their parents responsibility.

The Police is a different matter as they do not represent the people of Shetland. They are acting under the authority of the Scottish Government in Edinburgh therefore they should apply the law evenly in all parts of Scotland.

I can hardly believe there was anyone over 18 at the Market Cross, but anyone who attended and sees any lawbreaking  has a civil duty to inform the Police there and then. I believe the Police were in attendance.

There is probably more control at Up Helly Aa then any other day of the year ....  to those children participating in the festival.

Its not about keeping children locked up - we cannot keep making excuses for this behaviour,

and some people justifying this behaviour being acceptable.

More parents need to be more responsible about what there children are getting up to when they are out.

Over a year for example,

The beanfeast S5 /6  clearly getting plastered, underage , there needs to be responsible organisers at such after parties do they really need an afterparty just excuse to get drunk.

New Years Eve - let all get drunk again

Up Helly Aa -  Mummy and daddy get drunk turn blind eye and make it acceptable to follow mummy and daddy footsteps, yay set them up for life, start them young.

Every other Up Helly Aa on Shetland for these youngsters.

Then there is birthday parties - where parents then?

I heard of preserving the young but pickling them is going a little too far.

If a day of the week ends in a Y its an excuse to get drunk that is what the youngsters are learning.

The police I presume do not want the paperwork for pulling youngsters in and processing them, but maybe they should.

It is getting beyond a joke, it is more than just few small groups having a crafty drink its becoming acceptable behaviour to drink underage in public.

Wotsit,  why not take to the streets a year from now ,give care and a warm blanket/cup of tea/support whatever is needed to those drunk 14~17{and anyone else in need of LOVE} and help them get home safely.I will gladly work permitting come with you as im sure others would.I think on the mainland people who do just that are called Street Pastors ,feel free to correct me if im wrong.

These youngsters should not be out getting plastered, it is parents responsilbility to be checking up on their own youngsters when they know they are going for a night out , these are not children of deprived areas.

It is not a once year thing here, many of these children come from supposedly well brought up families, so love and blanket does not apply, mum and dad tuck them into bed when they eventually arrive home or get home.

Some parents don't seem care what state they come home in so long as they had a good time.

Maybe a few parents should made to pick underage drinkers up from police station few times.

Edited by wotsit