Underage drinking

wotsit

So we have underage drinking on "party buses" but what has this to do with da council ?

Surely if this is really going on then it is a police matter and up to the bus operators and their drivers to sort out ,not to forget the adults that are also on the buses.

Why do the Council have to stick their noses into everything.

I do not agree with underage drinking but I'm also not a "kill joy" and this if it is a problem it should be controlled by responsible operators/drivers and not by unnecessary additional regulations which already exist.

So we have underage drinking on "party buses" but what has this to do with da council ?

Surely if this is really going on then it is a police matter and up to the bus operators and their drivers to sort out ,not to forget the adults that are also on the buses.

Why do the Council have to stick their noses into everything.

I do not agree with underage drinking but I'm also not a "kill joy" and this if it is a problem it should be controlled by responsible operators/drivers and not by unnecessary additional regulations which already exist.

I have been on at least 4 or 5 "party" buses in the last year or so and I can honestly say I have not witnessed any underage drinking. 

Perhaps excessive amounts of drink is consumed but you could say the same of many "all day" social events. Often I have seen many people coming back in to Whalsay on the half past 8 or 10 ferry then just going home rather than drinking more. What is the difference between going out at 1pm and home at 9pm rather than, say, out at 6pm and home at 2am? 

There is certainly excessive amounts of drinking at events such as UHA... should these also be curtailed to cut down on Shetlands drinking culture? 

Better to be out with mates having a laugh than sitting in someone’s house drinking. At least they are out in the open and any nonsense isn’t swept under the carpet.

Yes,Wheelsup tend to agree and usually everyone in a crowd tends to look after each other, but still it is not permissible to allow underage drinking wherever  it occurs.

One think for sure we do not need our councilors interference,this is something the police already has powers to sort out .

Let common sense prevail a warning shot has been fired and all bus operators,drivers,adults take a warning.No further action required..

We have all been young :thmbsup   

Don't care one way or another what age a person is when they take a drink or two and, I don't care to much whether they do it responsibly(?) or not but, there have always been (and always will be) busybodies who want to poke their noses into other peoples lives.

So you wouldn't care if young kids were drinking irresponsibly?

I agree that there's already legislation in place to deal with booze buses should the need arise, but as a community, I think we all have a duty to look out for each other, particularly the young 'eens.

Better to be out with mates having a laugh than sitting in someone’s house drinking. At least they are out in the open and any nonsense isn’t swept under the carpet.

Yes,Wheelsup tend to agree and usually everyone in a crowd tends to look after each other, but still it is not permissible to allow underage drinking wherever  it occurs.

One think for sure we do not need our councilors interference,this is something the police already has powers to sort out .

Let common sense prevail a warning shot has been fired and all bus operators,drivers,adults take a warning.No further action required..

We have all been young :thmbsup   

Urabug, you state that it is not permissable to allow underage drinking wherever it occurs. That is very true regarding children under the age of five. Alcohol and young people.

Don't care one way or another what age a person is when they take a drink or two and, I don't care to much whether they do it responsibly(?) or not but, there have always been (and always will be) busybodies who want to poke their noses into other peoples lives.

So you wouldn't care if young kids were drinking irresponsibly?

I agree that there's already legislation in place to deal with booze buses should the need arise, but as a community, I think we all have a duty to look out for each other, particularly the young 'eens.

"So you wouldn't care if young kids were drinking irresponsibly?"

That's what I said isn't it?

Truth is that, at some point in their lives, they are going to take a drink or two.  The age at which they start is up to them and, if their parents object, let the parents deal with it. 

Lawmakers(?), on the other hand, have decided that the official age at which it becomes permissable is 18.  It's pretty arbitrary whether or not someone is "mature" enough to be allowed(?) a drink at 18.

What I don't get is the "right" some people have adopted to dictate a set of rules(?) that are so completely out of step with what is required by the majority.  All they have managed to achieve is to drive "underage" drinking undergound via "house parties" etc.

Far better for it to be visible.  I raised two boys this way and never hid drinks from them. They had their moments(?) but, by and large, it was very succesful.  Remove the mystique and treat them with respect.  It pays dividends.

I'm quite intrigued by your attitude on this. Does it extend to allowing children access to other drugs with similarly addictive properties and that have equally well documented negative physical, social and mental consequences?

And is there a line you draw re: age? Toddlers? Primary school age? Teenagers? And if so, why?

Edited by Davie P

If it's none of my business then, it's none of my business.

I have no wish to make up (and dictate) rules(?) for other people to live by and, if some wish to take themselves out of the gene pool by any method they choose then, let them. 

As you pointed out, the effects of various substances have been well documented BUT  the subject of this thread is "Underage Drinking" and my comments refer to that alone.

As for "drawing a line".  Not my responsibility to raise someone else's kids.

How would you feel if I said "YOU cannot let them do that because I don't like it / don't approve of it / it's bad(?) for them"?  After all, alcohol (in one form or another) has been consumed for thousands of years.  Did our remote ancestors adopt such a puritanical approach?

You were unequivocal in your agreement that "you wouldn't care if young kids were drinking irresponsibly?"

Now you're saying if they "wish to take themselves out of the gene pool by any method they choose then, let them."

I find it worrying that a (presumably) responsible adult has no concern for the safety of children other than their own. To make sure I understand your point of view, would you intervene in any way if you knew a child that was not your own was in danger of being harmed?

re: your question to me, "How would you feel if I said "YOU cannot let them do that because I don't like it / don't approve of it / it's bad(?) for them"?

If you backed up your assertion with the vast body of evidence that documents the harm that alcohol has on children then I would thank you.

Edited by Davie P

Of course drinking is only part of the problem and probably the easiest to detect,but if drugs are involved they will very likely be less conspicuous than a liquid beverage, so less likely to be detected.

Drink presents its problems but we all know that drugs create a different problem entirely.

Guess it might be the latter that is the biggest problem for the "party buses" they can ban carry oots but difficult to see what is in folks bags and pockets  :ponders:

......but as a community, I think we all have a duty to look out for each other, particularly the young 'eens.

Which is the mantra that allows every curtain twitching, interfering busy-body a licence to justifiy pretty much any old hellery, stirring and trouble making they get up to.

Its an admirable objective, but until and unless its better policed and less abused it will continue to do as much harm as good, and is best discouraged unless in exceptional and dire circumstances.