Underage drinking

wotsit

In the end if someone young, under 18, dies from drinking it is their own responsibility as they should know the law by that age, their parents who brought them up and if on a birthday bus, then the owners and driver of said bus for tolerating drinking behaviour on route to wherever and then there will be untold consequences. The bus owners tolerate it and should be dealt with if illegal.

Davie P.

If you are going to quote me, please do so with accuracy.

I actually wrote;

"I wouldn't care to much...."

Reads a little different to the way you are trying to present it.

Rest of your post...  1st priority in nature is to protect your own....

I'm not trying to "present" anything and I have quoted you exactly.

I asked "So you wouldn't care if young kids were drinking irresponsibly?" You quoted my question and replied, "That's what I said isn't it?", but now you're saying that's not what you said! Regardless, whether you don't care or don't care much is probably irrelevant anyway. I think you've made your position very clear.

Let's leave it there as this nit-picking must be quite boring for other folks the read!

Edited by Davie P

......but as a community, I think we all have a duty to look out for each other, particularly the young 'eens.

Which is the mantra that allows every curtain twitching, interfering busy-body a licence to justifiy pretty much any old hellery, stirring and trouble making they get up to.

Its an admirable objective, but until and unless its better policed and less abused it will continue to do as much harm as good, and is best discouraged unless in exceptional and dire circumstances.

I know where you're coming from re: busybodies, but I think the official channels for reporting concerns are well policed and there are established procedures in place. Having undertaken training in child protection I was quite horrified by the statistics relating to child neglect and abuse as a result of alcohol misuse by parents and children themselves. It was certainly more common than I had expected, even in a community where alcohol is so prevalent (and I like a good dram myself)

The confidential nature of the positive work social services do with families means it is rarely public knowledge.

This is a good resource for more info https://www.safershetland.com/child-protection

In the end if someone young, under 18, dies from drinking it is their own responsibility as they should know the law by that age, their parents who brought them up and if on a birthday bus, then the owners and driver of said bus for tolerating drinking behaviour on route to wherever and then there will be untold consequences. The bus owners tolerate it and should be dealt with if illegal.

In defence of the bus owners and operators I must speak.  First the owners who, unless they are on the bus personally, cannot do more than instruct their drivers not to allow underage drinking or indeed excessive drinking.  Then the drivers.  Bit of a clue in the name.......driver!.  They look out of the windscreen when the bus is moving so they do not crash.  Seems a good idea.  Certainly it would be impossible to see if a passenger was discretely swigging from someone else's bottle.  Perhaps the person who books the bus should be the one responsible for the behaviour of passengers and maybe they should consider employing some sort of security guard for the safety of their guests depending on what sort of party it was.

......but as a community, I think we all have a duty to look out for each other, particularly the young 'eens.

Which is the mantra that allows every curtain twitching, interfering busy-body a licence to justifiy pretty much any old hellery, stirring and trouble making they get up to.

Its an admirable objective, but until and unless its better policed and less abused it will continue to do as much harm as good, and is best discouraged unless in exceptional and dire circumstances.

I know where you're coming from re: busybodies, but I think the official channels for reporting concerns are well policed and there are established procedures in place. Having undertaken training in child protection I was quite horrified by the statistics relating to child neglect and abuse as a result of alcohol misuse by parents and children themselves. It was certainly more common than I had expected, even in a community where alcohol is so prevalent (and I like a good dram myself)

The confidential nature of the positive work social services do with families means it is rarely public knowledge.

This is a good resource for more info https://www.safershetland.com/child-protection

You missed off the joke/sarcasm icon.

If you think my post was worthy of an amusing icon then I suggest you familiarise yourself with the materials I linked to and/or enroll yourself on one of the short Child Protection training courses offered by local agencies to get some insight into the extent of the problem and the measures that are in place.

For the record, Child Protection usually refers to those 16 and under.

Edited by Davie P

If you think my post was worthy of an amusing icon then I suggest you familiarise yourself with the materials I linked to and/or enroll yourself on one of the short Child Protection training courses offered by local agencies to get some insight into the extent of the problem and the measures that are in place.

For the record, Child Protection usually refers to those 16 and under.

Your post was very worthy, Davie. It only refer to SaferShetland.com though. That gives no great understanding of the laws regarding consumption of alcohol and the link with the younger ones around us. The laws regarding this, which cover the U.K can be found at  Alcohol and young people, which I brought up earlier. In my opinion, the legal position regarding the consumption of alcohol by the young amongst us should be taken note of, before any argument can be brought up.

Your post was very worthy, Davie. It only refer to SaferShetland.com though. That gives no great understanding of the laws regarding consumption of alcohol and the link with the younger ones around us. 

There's actually a great deal of information on those subjects George.

The link you've provided is a very good summary, cheers.

It was far better in my young days,no messing about then or a clip alang the lug and boot up da *rse and if that did not work first time you got the same again,from whoever not always your parents..

Now you cannot raise your voice to anyone far less  any other part of your body or you will end up in prison.

Discipline is the answer, it served me well.! Certainly kept me out of trouble and I was still able to enjoy myself.

Edited by Urabug

^^ Discipline is definitely an issue. You have to be extremely careful "reprimanding" anyone these days to be sure you know exactly what you're doing and that you're in the right.

I have marshalled at events where ID was taken before anyone was allowed off busses, so steps do get taken, but it is the issue of what to do with a young person in the event. Sending them home isn't always that easy as mentioned before. To generalise, it has happened more than once that their parents didn't know where they were. I suspect ease of communication (always in touch but not where they say they are) may be a factor.

However, lets bear a little history in mind. I remember when "Birthday Busses" started, and soon became what we did every weekend. What they did was replace up to 10 cars full of young people driving around at the weekend, and all the risks associated. Do we want to go back to that?

Yes,Spinner72 "Birthday Buses"/Party Buses" are the answer and if being properly supervised by one or two sober responsible adults,then I cannot see why it is being a problem.

The bus operators,drivers ,pubs,restaurants ect must all gain from the additional trade. 

Just takes a few spoilsports to ruin it for everyone. Nothing new about that is there.!

Guest tiodylb17

I have been on a few buses and although they were a good laugh, I am more of a fan of the traditional pub crawl through Lerwick.

Edited by tiodylb17