EU

Redrobbie99

^^^ Nice bit of historical revisionism there.

It was Maggie Thatcher and her Tory cohorts who waged war on the miners not the European community.

It was the announcement she made to close 20 pits in 1984 that started the miner strikes in the 80's.

Her famous quote from that year goes like this...

“Galtieri and the Argentinians were the enemy without. Arthur Scargill and the miners are the enemy within.”

Doesn't sound like she lost much sleep worrying about the miners or their families to me.

It wasn't the EEC that crashed sterling it was currency speculators like George Soros taking advantage of the incompetent Tory decision to take us into the Exchange Rate Mechanism at 2.95 Deutsche Marks to the £.

I also thought out of all the EU member states the Greeks would be most keen to leave but polls show a large majority of them not only want to remain in the EU, they also want to keep the Euro as their currency as well.

The EU is far from perfect but they're hardly the cause of all our ills.

The EU has to work towards the mutual benefit of all its members because if it didn't nobody would want to be a part of it.

That may well be why there's significant support for the UK getting out then - "mutual" benefit seems to have become more and more us benefitting the rest in exchange for less and less benefit to us as the years have passed.

Norway, Greenland and Faroe want no part of it all, and those nations seem to be propsering much better than us too. The only ones who do want a slice of the cake are sundry former Soviet Eastern European nations who are still building themselves up, which makes them wanting in very undertandable, they're very likely to get more out than they put in, for a while anyway. Apart from Germany and France, the rest of those in seem to have a decidely indifferent attitude towards it all. Its hardly what you might call a dynamic, bouyant and prospering trading bloc (United States of Europe?) , is it.

Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg has told the BBC she would like her country to be part of the EU because it lacks influence over important decision making.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35710494

I don't know what she's complaining about, even if they have "left part of their democracy to Europe", at least they have some left. Unlike us who meekly handed over ALL of our "democracy" to Brussels (Berlin & Paris?) in '73.

^^^ Nice bit of historical revisionism there.

It was Maggie Thatcher and her Tory cohorts who waged war on the miners not the European community.

It was the announcement she made to close 20 pits in 1984 that started the miner strikes in the 80's.

Her famous quote from that year goes like this...

“Galtieri and the Argentinians were the enemy without. Arthur Scargill and the miners are the enemy within.”

Doesn't sound like she lost much sleep worrying about the miners or their families to me.

It wasn't the EEC that crashed sterling it was currency speculators like George Soros taking advantage of the incompetent Tory decision to take us into the Exchange Rate Mechanism at 2.95 Deutsche Marks to the £.

I also thought out of all the EU member states the Greeks would be most keen to leave but polls show a large majority of them not only want to remain in the EU, they also want to keep the Euro as their currency as well.

The EU is far from perfect but they're hardly the cause of all our ills.

Can you manage a simple yes/no to "Did the EU give community grants when asked by the PM?" 

Is it not the case that the EU stated it would come to the financial aid of another EU member when in financial difficulties (or words to that effect) yet did any European currency broker honour that?  No, because they weren't answerable to the EU which made yet another bit of EU waffle yet more meaningless; well, waffle.

Since when have polls been accurate?

The EU is not democratic.  I want out.

There on the news last night,District Heating wants to extract heat from sea water but daft regulations from Brussels dictates that they cannot use the hot water from the Power Station .

This the very nonsense that emanates from Brussels and is applied to almost if not everything nowadays.  

We should put the folk who make those decisions on the spot explain and justify why we cannot use this source of wate heat to our advantage. 

It's a bit like telling car manufacturers they cannot use the heat from our car engines to warm our vehicles :ponders:

It is this nonsence that makes me want to say NO in June, and yes I do know the Power Station is due to move anyway.

I read that all 4 candidates for the forthcoming Scottish elections are pro staying in the EU .As this is the major issue of our time right now am i the only one how thinks there is a lack of democracy here ..  http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/12321-all-four-candidates-want-uk-to-stay-in-eu

Edited by Redrobbie99

I read that all 4 candidates for the forthcoming Scottish elections are pro staying in the EU .As this is the major issue of our time right now am i the only one how thinks there is a lack of democracy here ..  http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/12321-all-four-candidates-want-uk-to-stay-in-eu

Britain has never been a democracy and as long as there is a House of Lords and a royal family it never will be.

Britain has never been a democracy and as long as there is a House of Lords and a royal family it never will be.

Quite right George..  We are "subjects" not "citizens".. 

Now it looks like we have been lumbered with four "unlectable" (for me anyway) candidates.

If only there was a local politician with the "balls" to confront the "establishment"

Quite possibly just you.

IMO the opinions of the candidates regarding the referendum is largely irrelevant, as they get one vote each on it, same as the rest of us. It's a one-off referendum, and as such shouldn't be a focus when it comes to deciding on an elected representative that will have a much larger say on all political matters affecting Scotland for the next few years than they do with regards to the referendum.

If you choose just this one issue to focus on when deciding on a candidate, you stand a very good chance of choosing a candidate that you disagree with on issues that they have much more say in. So maybe it is a good thing they all agree - it means people might pay attention to the the issues that the elected representative will actually have a say in.

Voting on the basis of the EU referendum is very short sighted.

If you choose just this one issue to focus on when deciding on a candidate, you stand a very good chance of choosing a candidate that you disagree with on issues that they have much more say in. So maybe it is a good thing they all agree - it means people might pay attention to the the issues that the elected representative will actually have a say in.

Voting on the basis of the EU referendum is very short sighted.

Maybe but, you have to ask just how much commitment any of those candidates would have to an "out" vote..