EU

Redrobbie99

^ Surely their personal opinion on the subject is irrelevant. In the event of an "out" vote they'll just have to like it, put up with it, and go along with it the same as every other "in" voter.

If they choose to let their personal opinion over-ride the wishes of the people and attempt to delay and thwart moving forward on an "out" vote, they'll have shown their true colours and will hopefully pay the price for not doing the job they were appointed to do, when the next election comes around.

I find it all a bit worrying to say the least, that their seems to be a perception these days that you vote in a representative whose personal opinions you best agree with. To my way of thinking you vote in the person most capable of representing the best interests (as you see them) of the area they represent, and are a member of a party (if they are a party member) that you can feel comfortable aligning yourself with the stated goals of. The personal opinion of any public representative should not factor in to how they perform their role, they are there to represent their constituents and their party (if the have one), not further their own personal agenda, and if they put personal agenda first, they have no place as a representative of anyone or anything.

"If they choose to let their personal opinion over-ride the wishes of the people and attempt to delay and thwart moving forward on an "out" vote, they'll have shown their true colours and will hopefully pay the price for not doing the job they were appointed to do, when the next election comes around."

Bit late then..  What we need is "recall" to bring them to heel in a reasonable time..

"they are there to represent their constituents and their party (if the have one),"

Just like Tavish did (NOT) over "fishing gate" when he voted along the party line ??

Realistically, it doesn't matter to much what a politician thinks, the party "machine" has already set an agenda and, expects his support otherwise, he doesn't get the nomination.

It would take a pretty powerful person to buck that one..

^ Hence my deep dislike of the party system. You don't get your wishes represented on an issue by issue basis, you get lumbered with the whim of the party elite at the given moment.

Party politics maybe "gets things done" when the same people as independents would bicker until the cows come home, but what "gets done" using the party system is "democracy" in its very loosest possible definition.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well we voted to stay.! God knows why but that's democracy. But were leaving . One poll I saw said that if the if we were not already members of the EU and there was a vote to join 80% of voters would vote no. That seems to me to be the SNP,s problem now.

Personally I  voted for an independent Scotland but if it meant rejoining that undemocratic monstrosity again I and I imagine many others would change sides.

If there is another indy referendum though I cannot wait to see Tavish and all the other euro loving anti scotish independence campainers if they want to rejoin the EU  having to campaign on the same side.

That could be amusing.  

Well, I voted to leave and, I was surprised that shetland as a whole, voted to stay..  Complete opposite of the last EU referendum.

What I cannot understand is why so many voted to stay...  Short memories perhaps?

Being in the EU has done Shetland no favours at all..  Just look at the 'rump' of the fishing fleet and, where are all the fish factories.  Time was when Shetland had a thriving fishing sector with dozens of boats/factories scattered throughout the islands..  The whole lot was systematically sold out by Westminster and gobbled up by various EU "quota hunters" to the point that we are no longer able to support any but the smallest of shore based ventures.

OK, the crofting side might have seen some benefits but, I wager that they would have been next on the list.

Everything (just about) to do with the EU has been about exploitation in favour of major business interests.

Talk about turkeys voting for christmas....

The SNP are now (almost certainly) going to start asking for another referendum and, god help us if they win it..  How many are ready to adopt the euro when Scotland has to re-apply for membership as it is (afaik) conditional ??

Tavish, unless he re-invents himself, has now "shot his bolt" as it wold be very difficult for hime to fight his corner on the grounds  that he wants exactly the same thing as the SNP.

I'm afraid that our only hope is for Wir Shetland to give itself a sensible name, become a party (of sorts) and start campaigning for a referendum on some kind of crown dependency status.

^ Do the people know their democratic will?

Across two referendums we now have a democratic will situation whereby we don't want to be part of an independent Scotland, who do want to be an EU member, but want to remain part of the UK who doesn't want to be an EU member, but we want to be in the EU.

Maybe its just my stupidity, but confused.com

Whats become clear to me from listening to Westminster polititians today is that if Scotland had kept England in the EU against their will the English  would have accepted the result.  Maybe Nicola should do the same.!  Ignoring the democratic will of the people and having referendums until you get the answer you want has been one of the many reasons why the EU are so mistrusted.