EU

Redrobbie99

I am of the opinion that the UK government will get the EU to make a new offer and there will then be another in/out/shake it all about referendum so basically we are not out yet!.  But just for fun if we do leave will the final communication from the EU say "goodbye and thanks for all the fish"?.

I still can't figure out what "democracy", "independence" and "sovereignty" mean to the SNP when they want to belong to an organisation (EU) whose actions appear to be diametrically opposed to at least two of those two beliefs. 

They are obviously confused over the meaning of "democracy" as, they have already lost one "Scotland Only" referendum and didn't get the answer that suited them in the other.

Not only that, given Shetland's unique geographical position and general disposition towards Holyrood, unless they very carefully cultivate a decent relationship, they will stand a chance of having nothing to "sell".  Does the EU want/need another "freeloader"?

Might as well belong in the "United States of Britain" as in the "United States of Europe".  At least that way they will remain a "major" stakeholder.

Well, I voted to leave and, I was surprised that shetland as a whole, voted to stay..  Complete opposite of the last EU referendum.

What I cannot understand is why so many voted to stay...  Short memories perhaps?

Being in the EU has done Shetland no favours at all..  Just look at the 'rump' of the fishing fleet and, where are all the fish factories.  Time was when Shetland had a thriving fishing sector with dozens of boats/factories scattered throughout the islands..  The whole lot was systematically sold out by Westminster and gobbled up by various EU "quota hunters" to the point that we are no longer able to support any but the smallest of shore based ventures.

OK, the crofting side might have seen some benefits but, I wager that they would have been next on the list.

Everything (just about) to do with the EU has been about exploitation in favour of major business interests.

Talk about turkeys voting for christmas....

The SNP are now (almost certainly) going to start asking for another referendum and, god help us if they win it..  How many are ready to adopt the euro when Scotland has to re-apply for membership as it is (afaik) conditional ??

Tavish, unless he re-invents himself, has now "shot his bolt" as it wold be very difficult for hime to fight his corner on the grounds  that he wants exactly the same thing as the SNP.

I'm afraid that our only hope is for Wir Shetland to give itself a sensible name, become a party (of sorts) and start campaigning for a referendum on some kind of crown dependency status.

Agree with all of the above Colin... not as against the name "Wir Shetland" as you seem to be though haha. Registering as a political party is very much an option. Over the coming years it is essential that we have representatives who will protect our vital interests amongst all the new changes. We have just escaped the CFP (at the hands of the English of all people), the last thing we need is to be dragged back into it. 

Embarrassed to be a Shetlander this morning.

I dunno what 6907 of us figures comprises the local economy, as they just stabbed the main indigenous industries in the back.

I agree with this also although people do have a right to vote how they want. The reasons behind it are lost on me though. Ignorance? fear of the unknown? fear propagated by the leave campaign? disgust with the Leave campaign? I have no idea. 

What I am horrified by Today is the vitriol coming from the Remain voters (most of them young) against the Leave voters over social media. Completely over the top and disrespectful, especially the comments directed against the older generation. Doom and gloom from prominent Remain figures is also irresponsible, they need to accept the new reality and help rebuild the country and try to heal the divisions this has caused. 

Having regained control of Scotland's fishing grounds are the SNP seriously suggesting handing them back to the EU ?  

The Nats might be wise to check their options with their bean counters a few times over, as I can't see the Dutch, Danes, French and Spanish allowing Scotland in without getting exactly the same fishing rights to Scottish water as they have right now, and they'll probably seek more, and I'm struggling to see how Scotland will afford to pay its EU dues without holding on to every revenue generating asset it can lay its hands on.

They no doubt would be fine when the oil price is high, but as we've always known, and have seen evidenced recently, oil revenue is unpredictable and can only be considered a bonus, not an income stream to be relied on it any way.

Edited by Ghostrider

Having regained control of Scotland's fishing grounds are the SNP seriously suggesting handing them back to the EU ?

Oot o interest how much of the fishing grounds do we actually still own? If Brussels have sold it off it might explain why foreign boats are left to please themselves! Aboot 98% of faroes income comes from fishing and their boats seem to be left to fish away! We'll either have to compensate them or buy a few gun boats!

If Shetland does not vote for Scottish independence and the rest of Scotland does, I do not think Nicola would go along with the idea of a referendum for Shetland, even though that is exactly what she is doing over the EU referendum, "do as I say not as I do" how two faced would that be ?

She did not like the result so she wants to take her bat and ball home.

I don't think Nicola reason for independence has got anything to do with thinking that Scotland would be better off  in Europe as opposed to being part of the UK. Its more a case of she hates the English and wants someone to freeload off     -  Europe.

Surely this was a national vote,only two options and the final result of course is we leave the EU.  

No where did it say as far as I know the results would be regionalised .

The fact that Scotland voted to remain in the EU is immaterial as it was the number of Yes votes against  the No votes(heads or tails).

Cameron was on tv  one evening and when asked if the result would affect his position as Prime Minister,answered that it would not and that he would continue no matter what the result yet the lying begger resigns as soon as the vote goes against  him.

Sturgeon is exactly the same .I trust none of them they say one thing and mean another.

The decision has been made nationally and the slate should be wiped clean and we start from scratch

We will all have plenty to complain about before this divorce is settled but there will be plenty of happy lawyers!

Edited by Urabug