EU

Redrobbie99

I too was very surprised to see every single local authority in Scotland including Shetland vote by quite a large margin to remain in the EU.

Whoever you agree or disagree with, one things for sure, we're living in interesting times.

Thankfully we live in a democracy where these momentous decisions can be made in a civilised manner.

Edited by Capeesh

What would happen if Nicola has her way in a referendum, she leaves the uk and Europe doesn't let her join the party.

As they are not expanding Europe in the near future.

Where is Scotland then?

One would hope the Nats would have something in writing that EU membership was an attainable goal before proceeding to do something silly, but I'm not holding my breath, this is the political machine we're talking about after all.

Edited by Ghostrider

Lets not forget the large majority of voters in Scotland (including Shetland) who also voted to remain in the EU, if it was only Nicola I don't think she'd have a very strong case.

Bear in mind an independent Scotland would only be 10% of the population and a "new" country with an untried and untested stand alone political machine, that's a whole other prospect for Europe to consider than the population mass, with a political machine predating Guy Fawkes getting his head put on a spike, that they just lost.

I seriously doubt, given the state they're in, that the EU would consider offering an independent Scotland anything more than some sort of "provisional" or "associate" membership (probably on far more favourable terms to Europe than Scotland) for an extended period of time. Holyrood haven't exactly endeared themselves to Brussels or shown themselves to be efficient and competent with the recent and still ongoing CAP F*** Up, and I seriously doubt there's much enthusiasm in Brussels to take on yet another turkey to nursemaid, given how many they already have.

Edited by Ghostrider

Border checkpoints between Scotland and England, and every chance of Scotland having to use the euro, as sterling would be a foreign currency. Scottish fish traded away again probably in a worse deal than before, and low oil prices to make things worse, all for the nationalist dream of independence at all costs. I'm sure Brussels is impressed with the Scottish government's handling of the farm payments and multi million pound computer system, so maybe they'll look kindly on renewed membership? 

Still we all feel safer now, we got rid of the airguns!

By a very large margin the Shetland people voted against an independent Scotland in 2014 . There we have the conundrum . Which is it to be ?

Absolutely and not just Shetland, the rest of Scotland wasn't too keen on independence either.

I haven't a clue how this'll pan out.

Edited by Capeesh

And there's the chance that a lot of pro Indy Scots may reconsider their position if it becomes apparent that Scotland may have difficulties trading with UK if they decide to go Indy and join Europe.

They will have to negotiate trade deals with the UK as part of the EU - and they may not get what they want if Brussels decide to start pulling their chain......

We live in interesting times.

Nicola would be much better off letting the dust settle , see  what exit deal GREAT BRITAIN gets.

Then see how that works for a few years, and if it doesn't work for her then go for the indy vote, she would command a lot more respect than just going for a knee jerk indy vote.

You never know Scotland might be better off but she won't know unless she tries it.

Then again I don't think she is interested whether it could work or not, she just wants independence at any cost, so she can go down in history as the person who freed Scotland from the English.

Edited by wotsit

We don't know what state the EU might be in in 3 or 4 yrs. With the second largest net contributor pulling out, there might be a lot less cash to hand out. Especially if another country starts to pull out. Could well end up with the Euro being worthless. Better to all work together to strengthen Britains position before we start more political machinations and divisions.

I think the masses in England have been suckered by Boris,Farage and Gove.