EU

Redrobbie99

But.

We never asked for direct military assistance from the US, so the only thing good 'ole Uncle Sam was guilty of was a bit of political fence-sitting.

Believe me, as someone who has the South Atlantic medal with rosette I'd be among the most vociferous when it came to giving the Yanks a kicking if I thought there was justifiable reason.  :thmbsup

Give the Yanks a break here..

They sold aircraft/ships etc to Argentina and, they sold us the kit to take them out..

Seems, to me, that they were pretty even handed throughout.. :rofl:

The French, on the other hand, just sold stuff to Argentina.  America's original "special relationship" doing what it does best ie, anything that opposes British Interests.

Not that simple, Colin

The Argentine navy had two type 42 destroyers that were built and supplied by us, the same warship type that I served on down there. The 1000lb bomb that hit our ship and nearly did for me and more than a few of my oppos was British made and supplied.

The Belgrano was an old US cruiser, I'm pretty sure the ARA San Luis sub was German, the 25th Of May carrier was British built and bought off the Dutch navy, their main soldiers rifle was the FN SLR (Belgian IIRC) etc...etc..etc............

Edited by Scorrie

check uk petition 200165

Only 34 signatures from Orkney and Shetland.

If you check the Petition Map that covers the petition for Leave the EU immediately, you'll see that Shetland and Orkney have a slightly higher figure than average, north of the border. How many people are aware of the petition that is taking place is the question, though.

Guest Mr.Brown

Just had a look (at the petition site). If 35 signatures is as a percentage higher than other Scottish constituencies, I guess it could be because the majority of Scotland didn't vote for leaving the EU. But anyone who wants to get support for a petition on any subject has the onus of drumming up the publicity on themselves I suppose.

35 signatories across Shetland and Orkney works out at about 0.08% of the constituency voting to leave now. Ok, the poll runs for another three months so one or two more might vote leave but that won't help. When we finally shake hands with Europe and say goodbye, I would bet that Westminster hands the EU a couple of sweeteners. One of those may well be related to fishing areas. That could mean that Shetland doesn't get its fishing industry resurrected as a lot of people are hoping now.

It may well be beneficial if the person that started this, Jack Taylor, was to make an effort to put Leave the EU immediately out for the public to see a little more clearly.

Edited by George.

Has May been DUPed,will it be back to the ballot box soon !

Well if we end up with another general election sooner rather than later I hope we can get another referendum on leaving the EU at the same time. 

The obvious stranglehold that the EU had on us and is imposing on us is now becoming clearer everyday so I can only assume that those of us who are, and many more who are now beginning to be aware of this situation would vote accordingly, few surely can want to remain under the dictatorship of Brussels.

If I wanted to be ruled from Europe then I should live on the other side of the English channel but I live in the UK so I am under British rule. 

Yes possibly another vote would be helpful now that we the public are beginning to unravel all the complexities associated with getting out of the EU.and those of remaining.