New door-to-door driveway sellers

wastafirth 01

• 1 month later...

or you could look at their website for the Aberdeen operation, here http://wilsonsandsonscontractorsltd.co.uk/about.html

The knocked my door and got a nicely tarmaced driveway out of it late last year.

At least they are intererested in doing work unlike a large number of locally based companies who are only interested in building new houses and either don't turn up at all or quote stupid prices.

I look forward to the day the new build market dries up and these b'stards are struggling

The B,stards will never be strugging ,! Cause they wii have to come an sort the F,ing mess that the fly by night guys leave behind...!!!!!!!

or you could look at their website for the Aberdeen operation, here http://wilsonsandsonscontractorsltd.co.uk/about.html

The knocked my door and got a nicely tarmaced driveway out of it late last year.

At least they are intererested in doing work unlike a large number of locally based companies who are only interested in building new houses and either don't turn up at all or quote stupid prices.

I look forward to the day the new build market dries up and these b'stards are struggling

Can you give me your address so I could have a look because I'm thinking of getting mine done

Oh yes that link proves everthing... ha ha .. well its your money ..!!!!!

Have a drive past the strand loch Tingwall and look to your right at the newest driveway an see how they have got round a tellecom manhole lid , did,nt see that photo on your fancy link...eh

I used to work for WHD plant, out at the Black Gaet, and can tell you two things:

1. I've seen first hand the poor and shoddy work done by bad contractors (Willsons being just one company) and know the quality of the local contractors doing this work, If it's going to take local guy's a while to get your drive done it's for a reason-they're busy because they're GOOD and TRUSTED!

2. I can't speak for other local contractors, but WHD never made that much profit from doing domestic driveways. Tarmac and Asphalt are expensive, running a truck or two is expensive, paying decent wages to local workers is expensive, buying and maintaining plant equipment is expensive, finally paying Tax and VAT is expensive. I know from experience that the one business I worked for would NEVER rip people off.

The simple fact is fly by night's may be cheaper but they have to cut corners to be cheaper-use your imagination and decide where they cut the cost of your driveway.

I had a guy visit our house last summer while I was putting up the polytunnel. Incredibly pushy, and gave a silly low price for tarring our driveway (which I’ve never felt the need to get done anyway). I said I’d think about it, phoned a mate who basically said it’d be impossible to do the job at that price and that the tar would be so thin it would break up by winter, by that time they’d be long gone. When the sales guy came back, it ended in a firm door slam to get rid off him. He would not take no for an answer. I hate to think these folk are targeting pensioners or the vulnerable.

The other point above about local. I’ve been annoyed on several occasions by a few local firms, especially the ones that offer to do quotes and after 4 weeks worth of chasing they still haven't materialised. In my experience these have tended to be the big companies that are yes looking for big jobs. I’ve even laid budgets out on the table between £3k-5k that we’re willing to pay and got nowhere. It would be easier for all concerned if they just said it’s not something they’d currently take on. Maybe it’s the admin staff, I don’t know, but I've not bothered them again.

On the flip side I’ve found there are a number of great small outfits, even 1 man bands, who are yes busy, but will do the work at a fair price and not mess about. So a lot of it is about finding the right person for the scale of job.

My other word of advice is never neglect the paperwork. Always get a contract if you're going into £1000s, and get a detailed quote breaking down labour, material and equipment hire (I always need to ask for this I have found!). Insist of being informed right away if the price is going to increase, and know the reasons why it might increase upfront.
Edited by tooney1

Saw a job that Wilson and son did in sooth end o Shetland they had small sit on digger which they used to scrape mud and crap  and flatten it out a bit then dumped some hot tar on top it looks crap the join onto the public road is crap as well  BIGjohn is right some one will be back to fix it soon, but in the mean time any House on the market today for sale with a drive done by these guys you can knock a few thousand of right away

Edited by Motormouse