Should People Eat Horses And Ponies?

Guest Anonymous

Should Horses Go For Human Consumption?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should Horses Go For Human Consumption?

• Yes I love to eat Horse Meat
    • I Find Eating Horse Meat Disgusting
    • I prefer cats and rats
    • I prefer to eat SIC Councillors

Guest Anonymous

This is an article which I find disgusting.

America, the home of the wild horse appears to be failing to look after the very animal which made the wild west famous. This message was posted on Willie Nelsons' Club Luck site recently.

Quote>>>>>

Folks, America has a dirty little secret and it's not that little.

Horses have always been an American symbol of freedom. Their loyal, relentless work is what made

this country. They are the living legends of American history. So why is it that we are allowing nearly 100,000 horses to be slaughtered annually in America for human consumption in slaughter houses that are foreign owned? It must be because we didn't know.

Even worse, the treatment of horses going to slaughter is most often inhumane. They suffer injuries in overcrowded trailers, abuse by handlers, and they are often conscious during acts of mutilation and slaughter. It's like stepping on the American Flag.

The passage of the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act (H.R. 503 and S. 1915) would put in place a permanent and immediate ban on both the slaughter of horses in the U.S. and the exportation of live horses for slaughter abroad.

Now that you know, make your voice be heard. Join Jennifer Pryor, The Barbi Twins, Bo Derek, and my family on Capitol Hill Sept. 5th, 2006 to support the bill that will be introduced and voted on that day.

Call or write your representatives today, and tell your friends and neighbors to do the same.

Please go to http://www.saplonline.org/horses.htm.

It's time for the cowboys to stand up for the horses.

Sincerely,

Willie Nelson

>>>>>>>>>>>>> End Quote|||||

Well what do you think???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People don't want to eat horses because they are cute and (sometimes) intelligent.

Most folk have no problem eating cows because they are ugly. moo and their excrement tends to be worse to step in.

At the end of the day meat is meat. It all comes from some form of animal. Had cows been cuter then they might have had a better chance at life.

Heard the one about the cannibal who dumped is girlfriend? :lol:

Yeah, its a tricky one, pigs are probably as clever as dogs, yet i intend having a slice of one tomorrow morning, and would happily "slice*" any human that harmed the other. Funny how it works culturally.

*not literally of course

The french like a bit of horse flesh, then again we may all have used horse derivative glue at some point.

I've eaten veal, thats not nice either. Fois gras (excuse the spelling) anybody?

I do like horses and ponies though, it's a tough one.

I don't really know where exactly I stand on this one. All things being equal, we already eat a number of other species, so why the difference in acceptability between eating horse flesh and beef or mutton?

That said, we have no need to be slaughtering horses for food, the other species we already sacrifice for the purpose more than supplies demand, so to do so is only to satisfy a human greed. Then again, vegetarians and vegans use that same argument to justify their stance the no animal or other living creature should be killed for food at all, as modern agriculture could supply everyones nutritional requirements from vegetation.

At the end of the day, bans almost never work where the issue is of appreciable size, as this is, if someone is determined to eat horse flesh or whatever, they will regardless of any legislation. Perhaps, it would be more successful in the longer term, not only in this issue, but also in many others where an immediate blanket ban is being proposed/has been imposed, to instead positively discourage the practice while at the same time tightening regulations on how it occurs, a ban simply sends things underground, where, the incidences may be fewer, but almost certainly the practices which offend people when something is overt, become considerably more distasteful. As the saying goes, old habits die hard, and IMHO people need to be weaned off things, a door closed in their face invariably elicits an explosive knee jerk reaction from many.

Then again, vegetarians and vegans use that same argument to justify their stance the no animal or other living creature should be killed for food at all, as modern agriculture could supply everyones nutritional requirements from vegetation.

Who says that the vegetation doesn't have feelings? :wink:

I doot it is da wye to go for the Shetland pony industry it certainly would push up da value o da beasts. If there is a market for it dan it could be the making o the industry, it would also help the slaughter house keep busy, im surprised dat SLMG hav'nt been chasing this market b4.

When i was in Japan a few years back, I had Horse on a few occasions amoungst lots of other new things i had never even thought of eating..

Origanally I didnt know until I was told.. I just assume it was veal.

as a meat it is probably some of the most tender and tatiest meat i have ever tasted. saying that i have not gone out of my way to try and get some for my freezer since.

As for the ethics of eating horse meat, I persoanlly am not fusssed if it was offered to me I wouldnt decline.

this whole thing just leads ontp eating other animals like cats and dogs (which i think is wrong) but their animals still, like cows and pigs, which we eat loads of so theirs no difference in eating horse or ponie really!

didnt think there was one called pig by him. whats it about?? guessing some boy ate a lot then turned into a pig?

Aims[/i]

didnt think there was one called pig by him. whats it about?? guessing some boy ate a lot then turned into a pig?

Aims[/i]

No, it's worse than that. It'a a tale about a slaughter house with the usual Roald Dahl unexpected twist in the tail that has converted some to vegetarianism.

Personally, I've chosen not to eat meat for the past 28 years. I don't think it's necessary. But I don't see any difference between eating cute and ugly animals.

well, i agree with you, but i think it depends if people have that animal as a loved pet. lots of people love to have horses as loved pets! so i dont think they would get it! guess i wouldnt mind eating it, as long as it taaste good! lol and if i didnt have one as a pet!

Aims