Gritters

ll

I realise there's not a magic money tree but would doing the main roads an hour earlier really cost that much more?

There's also a cost (both human and monetary) from road traffic accidents caused by icy conditions.

Would Sullom Voe Terminal and the Shetland Gas Plant be willing to help financially to look after the safety of their workers travelling to/from their sites?

Would a change in starting/finishing times in the winter help?

If it saved one life it would be worth it in my book but I understand the council has to make difficult decisions when allocating their budget.

There is logic to both sides of this argument. As far as I am aware no one is having a go at the gritter men as they do a fine job in difficult conditions. Perhaps many people do need to learn how to drive to the conditions.

It is a valid question however to ask if the gritters could start earlier in order to have the roads ready for the first period of heavy traffic. If it simply comes down to cost then it is another example of how Shetlands services are unfairly suffering. 

Yep, two sides to this coin. It certainly doesn't help when employers throw their toys out the pram and pressure employees to make dangerous journeys. My work are more than accommodating I may add... but others certainly aren't. Lady Roachmill was told to walk over a mile to "get the bus" after several attempts to get her car up an untreated icy hill at the crack of dawn. All this in 0 degree head-on snow.

Likely never to to keep everyone happy unless we get a 24/7 gritting service to every house in Shetland.

Think Shetland has a lot better standard of service though than most parts of Scottish mainland.

Gritting is just a tool to fight against poor road conditions and cannot mitigate lack of experience, inability to fit appropriate winter tyres and simply going too fast on slippery roads.

I'm not sure that anybody is asking for that are they??

I think drivers need to take a bit of responsibility too.  Far too many people are under equipped on wintry roads.  A shovel in the boot and a decent pair of boots on your feet and you can throw grit down to help you out of a situation.  A bit of common sense goes a long way.  If we lived in Iceland etc you would soon have to learn to be equipped!

That is if there is grit.

There is a very bad bend and junction right beside my house. The grit bin vanished years ago.

I used to grit the area and the bus stop across the road with grit I bought myself but to be honest I haven't bothered this year.

would it no mak more sense to lay down grit earlier in the morning and to stop gritting on the main roads through the height of the day, many a day the boys are out gritting when there is lots of traffic moving about, so the cars etc is probably keeping the snow and frost of the roads, its early morning and late at night i think it should be layed down, a couple hours earlier on the main roads could see them on the B roads sooner too, and starting from tea time till later at night would help too

Sometimes as the snow melts it dilutes the salt content and water running across the road in an area that is shaded from the sun can still freeze and be a hazard.

That is why the gritters need to be out during the day sometimes.

Even a passing shower can cause problems over a very small area during the day .

Never assume just because a road has been treated that it will be frost free,black ice can still be there.