Oil rigs

Redrobbie99

yup, a rotting oil rig hulk is just the same as a rotting hulk of a ship wreck, it rusts away and acts as a reef for the fish. i say blow them up.

Good idea, but the problem is that you can't just let rip in situ. 

The modules would have to be taken to a decommissioning site, stripped out, all contaminants and everything else removed to take them back to metal - then taken back out and sunk.

Which is what the original plan was anyway, with extra work thrown in to take it back out to sea for sinking.  :mrgreen:

it could save cash stripping the rig at sea of all non bio degradable stuff and get a supply boat to pull on one of the piles and away she goes. a peeree home for the fishes. or just blow the thing up to break down the main component to aid its decay , less of an obstruction for fishing boats.

Could be a method in the madness, nothing is impossible these dayS, especiALY SAVING MONEY BETTER SPENT. 

I still say blow the ****** thing up, scuttle them just like a ship.

I doubt there will be that many big rigs getting dismantled, a fair few unmanned platforms in the southern north sea at the end of their life though.

But whatever the number you can be assured it would be a lot less if they had maintained them better. those that are getting decommissioned are not for a lack of oil but for the dangerous state they're in.

Edited by Da Burra Shop

I canna help imagining norscot filled with windmills, wind turbines being shipped all over the world, built in shetland.

Built with the money saved instead of decommissioning the brutes.

Whenever ive been along to shetland composites , i know that there is the expertise and the labour force, why not.

Its a pity because it would heme-rage cash flow in to the local shetland economy, not any single person get rich but every one would do well out of it.

As well as that it wouldnt have to happen all at once, they could have spunn it out to last.

The difference is a carrier bag full of nitro glycerin as apposed to many thousand gallons of marine fuel burnt, man hours, red tape for the pen pushers, not to mention norscot  looking like a dump and the pummeling the roads would get.

We already know that the value of scrap here in shetland is crap because of the shipping costs, so why do it.

^^^Far more likely to see wind turbines built in China at a fraction of the cost.

Thanks to geography Shetland is closer to the North Sea than China so any decommissioning work will hopefully benefit the Shetland economy.

I'm sure the oil companies would love to wriggle out of decommissioning costs after they've sucked £Billions in profits out of the North Sea, I hope it's done properly.

I thought shetland was competing with other places for decommissioning the rigs,and failing. as for china, i winda buy a bike pump with made in china on it. you get what you pay for, simple economics just accept a pay off  and invest  in renewable s  hens the lesser need for fossil fuels  , that should keep the SNP happy,me happy, the oil guys happy, the anti fracking crew not to mention the S.I.C and the fishes.

Dont let the indians get the chance to under cut the chinese in a under cutting bidding war when the shetlanders can make a go of things and probably out do every body else for quality and excellence.