Affordable Housing

Equality Street

Mistake to post it twice

Trouble with forums, it is all light and fluffy stuff, when asked to look into some deeper thinking and questioning. Many just can not do it or be ass--.

I just responded to some who think they know all about Islam.

Just found out Councils and Private Landlords now have a legal responsibility's to make sure Tenants are good responsible people to the neighbours.

Affordable housing needs eco homes that are cheap to run and keep warm with modern technology.

By the way the Big houses in Skerries are not affordable for family,s if no jobs on the Island, plus the School is now mothballed, thanks in the main to SIC. 

Shame on you Dr Wills and all the other sheep.

I've only watched up to 20 mins at the moment - but slowly wading through it.

He's making a massive deal out of existing knowledge that states that the Christian church and Islam are based on paganism. Most religions have links back to pre-existing ones, that's how converts are made, by persuading them that the 'new' religion is a souped-up version of their old religion. Better things await that can ever be offered by your three-breasted female with a donkey head - or whatever.

Unfortunately, like most people keen to push their own version of religion at the expense of others, he's going overboard looking for links ("seek and ye shall find" springs to mind) and assassinating (assassin - good Arab word..... :thmbsup ) the opposition at every opportunity. 

Anyway, back to your original point that the Prophets' first with was  a Catholic nun. Unless there's more info later in the video I'll take that statement as it stands now:

Utter pish.

Mohammeds first wife - Khadija - was a wealthy widow of the Quairashi who ran her own successful trading business. Mohammed was placed with her by his uncle to learn about the world of business and she gave him the position of agent on one of her camel trains heading North to Mecca, his role was to supervise the sale of Syrian goods in Mecca itself.

He was very good at it and they worked together closely, she then offered him marriage. Mohammed was about 25 and Khadija is reported to be a fair bit older - possibly 40.

Hardly a Catholic nun. Also, there are (as far as I can see) no references to Khadija being part of a Christian or Jewish tribe at all. In fact her father, Khuwailid, was the great-great grandson of Qusai - of keeper at the then pagan temple of Mecca. Pagan idol worshippers as opposed to Catholic or Jewish, that is quite specific. So, if anything, Khadija would be pagan.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/13251-hjaltland-s-latest-14-home-scheme-is-complete

This is all well and good for "da toon" but along with the huge development at Staney Hill (among others) am I the only one wondering why none of the rest of Shetland seems to be getting new social housing?

Services and development are being concentrated in Lerwick, leading to inflated demand, leading to a justification to carry on in the same fashion. 

Where will it all end, everyone living within a few miles of Lerwick, Scalloway and Brae and the rest of Shetland left to dwindle to tiny hamlets or ghost towns?

^ I don't understand the logic either. In addition to above, land is more expensive in Lerwick (those 38 occupants could have been more elsewhere for the same cost), and the proposed Staney Hill development must be budgeting a huge amount for breaking up the hill before it even begins etc. It's a short sighted expansion plan when there's plenty of space to work with.

I've heard that Chief Exec Mark Boden said to SNP member for Highlands and Islands Mike Mckenzie that Shetland's future can only be secured by focusing resources in Central Shetland.

That is scandalous! Where did you hear that? 

I dread to think what gets said about the rural areas of Shetland in the corridors of power in da toon. One of the reasons I support Wir Shetland is to end the discrimination against our rural areas. If only people would listen to our aims instead of getting distracted by the online bickering that goes on. 

One of the reasons I support Wir Shetland is to end the discrimination against our rural areas. If only people would listen to our aims instead of getting distracted by the online bickering that goes on. 

Maybe if Wir Shetland members didn't bicker so much people would be more inclined to listen to their aims.

Just a thought.

Edited by zebedee

^^^ Perhaps you are right Zebedee but we cannot gag our members, they are free to express their opinions the same as anyone else. 

If people could see past the arguing that occurs on the Shetland Times web page they would see a very different organisation and perhaps not believe the mis-truths often leveled at us by our opponents. 

Bickering is the order of the day on virtually all online venues, a side effect of the modern day attitude held by many that "I'm 100% right, and if you don't agree with me 100% I'll make it my mission to "prove" you're 100% wrong". Hence the fine arts of discussion, debate, compromise and respecting other folk's right to hold whatever opinion they choose, regardless what your personal take on it is, have been all but lost.

What's the solution though? If one side takes the route of using any means at their disposal to "prove" the other side "100% wrong", you have two choices, either counter them with your side of the story, in which case bickering ensues and nobody wins, or don't rise to their bait, which just ends in them sniping from the sidelines wherever they see a chance to, spreading b/s which risks being believed by someone reading it. Neither appeal nor have a high chance of a "good" outcome, but I'm struggling to see any other viable options on the table.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/13251-hjaltland-s-latest-14-home-scheme-is-complete

This is all well and good for "da toon" but along with the huge development at Staney Hill (among others) am I the only one wondering why none of the rest of Shetland seems to be getting new social housing?

Services and development are being concentrated in Lerwick, leading to inflated demand, leading to a justification to carry on in the same fashion.

Where will it all end, everyone living within a few miles of Lerwick, Scalloway and Brae and the rest of Shetland left to dwindle to tiny hamlets or ghost towns?

Whatever way you look at it, folk want to live in and around Lerwick. It’s a trend that’s been going on for years and it's not a uniquely Shetland problem. In my opinion, a lot of it comes down to social changes and lifestyle choice.

Young folk are much more mobile noo. There are social/career/educational opportunities open to them that didn't exist in the past. They don’t exist in rural areas now and probably never will.

Going back a generation or two, relatively few folk left school with formal qualifications and provided they could get work locally, stayed, married and settled down where they grew up. That’s increasingly rare nooadays.

Whatever way you look at it, folk want to live in and around Lerwick. It’s a trend that’s been going on for years and it's not a uniquely Shetland problem. In my opinion, a lot of it comes down to social changes and lifestyle choice.

Young folk are much more mobile noo. There are social/career/educational opportunities open to them that didn't exist in the past. They don’t exist in rural areas now and probably never will.

Going back a generation or two, relatively few folk left school with formal qualifications and provided they could get work locally, stayed, married and settled down where they grew up. That’s increasingly rare nooadays.

You may be right that there is an overarching trend. However I can tell you from personal experience that a many people (especially younger people) who would have liked to remain in Whalsay/Yell/Unst etc would have if not for having to commute on the ferry. Back when I worked at SVT monday to friday I started renting a flat in Lerwick simply because of the cost, hassle and time required to commute on the ferry to Whalsay every day. 

These opportunities you speak of would be as accessible to people from the Isles as anywhere else in Shetland if there were fixed links. Do you think we should just surrender to centralisation and let our communities die? 

Having grown up in da isles, I obviously don't want them to die. I just think social trends have a much more powerful influence on why folk leave than anything the council has or hasn't done.

I’ll go back to my point about lifestyle choice. It isn’t just about making Lerwick easier to get to from Yell, Unst or Whalsay. In my experience, a lot of folk want to move there just as some want to go to Aberdeen/Edinburgh/London/wherever. In getting caught up in the whole 'anti toon' sentiment that’s been breeding over the last few years, I think there's a bit of denial about that. Folk would rather blame the council instead.

Although I’m sceptical they’ll happen in my lifetime, I support the idea of fixed links. I just question they’ll be the ‘cure all’ that some folk are making out. They wouldn’t entice me back, nor would a new council house. While I accept that’s not the case for everybody, I don’t think I’m alone by a long way.

Edited by shetlander

• 11 months later...

I see in the day's paper the housing waiting list has suddenly dropped to "a historic low" despite still sitting circa 650. Isn't it amazing what a little bit of spin and a side order of bull sharn can do - At circa 850 it was all hands to panic stations over it, yet a circa 20% drop and its apparently, 'Meh - whatever...." country. I bet thats wecome news to those circa 650 still on it, and that when it reached circa 650 on its way up, it was described in polar opposite terms then.

Edited by Ghostrider

The problems with houses on the isles is the cost of the ferry, when I went up to Yell for the show, the ferry cost £24. So say you lived in yell and had a job in or around town, you will be paying £24 plus around £10 in fuel (depending what sort of car you have) So that's roughly a £34 spend per day to leave Yell. Will probably be double that if you live on Unst.