Public asked to suggest name for new hostel

mogling

THE PUBLIC are being given the chance to have their say on what the new Anderson High School halls of residence should be called.

A hostel consisting of 100 bedrooms forms part of the £55.75 million new school complex that is being constructed at Lerwick’s lower Staney Hill. It will replace the Janet Courtney Hostel adjacent to the existing school.

Asking the public to name a building can have its pitfalls, as the Natural Environmental Research Council discovered when internet wags voted in their droves to name its new ship ‘Boaty McBoatface’.

But children’s services director Helen Budge assured councillors that, once a list has been compiled, the final decision will be theirs.

The mood in Lerwick Town Hall during Monday’s education and families committee meeting would tend to suggest that anyone wanting to see the halls of residence christened ‘Hostel McHostelface’ is going to be disappointed.   {Aww. Spoilsports! :(

Councillor Gary Cleaver had questioned whether “in the public climate of naming entities we might be storing up a bit of trouble for ourselves”.

But Budge responded: “The decision will come back to this table. I’ll come with a list and it’ll be for you to make that decision.”

SIC leader Gary Robinson said it was “not a popularity contest, so it doesn’t matter how many times they put in Boaty McBoatface, we’re not calling it that”.

Cleaver said it was already being referred to as the Anderson High School halls of residence – “hasn’t it already got a name?” – and questioned whether “deferred patronage by naming buildings after dead people is really a good precedent to follow”.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/12524-public-asked-to-suggest-name-for-new-hostel

i'm sure Shetlinkers could come up with some good ideas for names?

how about The Wills Memorial Halls?

Maybe they could go down the road of business sponsored names like they have in some of the English football grounds to help with the running costs, e.g. Emirates Stadium, Reebok Stadium etc.

I like the sound of The FlyBe Halls of Residence.:D

Edited by Capeesh

Maybe they could go down the road of business sponsored names like they have in some of the English football grounds to help with the running costs, e.g. Emirates Stadium, Reebok Stadium etc.

I like the sound of The FlyBe Halls of Residence.:D

After sleeping on this, I've had second thoughts about "The FlyBe Halls of Residence" ...I don't think it'll take off.