Drumjamm Clinics (thread prev. named 'Thomas Lang')

Gandhi

Stanton Moore Clinic - Garrison Theatre - 29th September - 1pm show

We're delighted to be welcoming the funkiest drummer you'll hear for many a year. Stanton plays with the New Orleans band "Galactic" and is best known in the UK for his stoming performance at drummerlive 2006 in London.

This will be the first date of his UK tour, and his first proper clinic tour this side of the pond. The show is taking place at 1pm so that we can get him on the plane and off to his next date.

You can see some more on www.stantonmoore.com, or visit shetland drums where they have both his DVD's and book.

Tickets should go on sale at the beginning of June, more details then.

Let me know what you think, we're now onto the next clinic which will take place early 2008, who would you like to see?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been approached as a possible date for a forthcoming Chad Smith + Steve White clinic date. This has come about mainly due to our connections with Steve, and the fact that the promoter has done work with us before and thinks Shetland should be one of the 6 dates.

It's a tough call, we'd be delighted to do the clinic as we're massive fans of both drummers, and think that it would be popular. But how popular? We'd need to sell around 700 tickets to break even (which is all we ever set out to do) We'd also need a couple of corporate sponsors, and call in lots of favours with the technical side of things.

We have to make a decision by the 5th of July, and even then we may not get it. Chad is right up for it, and is on a bit of time of from his 4 piece the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Steve has told him about the drumming scene in Shetland, and sold it to him.

We're really looking for Shetlands thoughts on this, and not just from drummers

They're saying Thursday 15th November, with the ticket price depending on the interest and the final costs. Having spoken to the promoter, the prices will vary between £12.50 and £20.00, depending on the venue and location.

I'd like to keep tickets down to £10 for under 18's, or even cheaper if we can. It's those guys that have made all the previous clinics such a success, and to be honest, the main reason we put them on.

That sounds great, if the two of them were here i'd happily pay upto £40 to see them. It's gonna be a once in a lifetime event and in Shetland.

So So cool. I'm gonna be there definatley.

Wow, can't get over the double header of those two!!

I'll keep you all posted.

The main stumbling block is going to be the expenses, we just got news that there will be eight of them coming.

When you take into account flights, accomodation, food, drink etc, it's starting to add up. Plus we got the price for the clickimin, and I can now see why there are so little shows there. Having spoken to the promoter, all the other venues are less than half the price.

You can see our dilema, but as I said before, the logistics of getting the crew to and from Shetland may take the decision out of our hands. Should hear news by the end of the week.

Well Sags,

I wish you all the best. To get the Chadmeister in Shetland would be something. Why not just go the whole hog and book the chilli peppers? lol

As for venues, its mad that the clickimin cant be more flexible for events such as this, that can have a positive impact on Shetland as a whole. Having someone of the drumming stature of white and smith would be great for the music of Shetlands profile as a whole.

The other idea would be to hire the garrisson theatre? do 2 nights, sell out both.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

The Chad Smith/Steve White clinic wont be happening. In the end the promoter has decided to only do 6 shows, with Chad unavailable to do the final two dates, which would have been Shetland and Dublin.

It would have been a great event for Shetland to have hosted, and I believe the people of Shetland would have turned out in high numbers to have seen the show.

Back to business, we've got Stanton Moore on the 29th September, and that'll be a cracker!

• 1 month later...

Tickets now on sale for the Stanton Moore Clinic - Garrison Theatre - 29th September @1pm. If you buy your ticket before the 15th September you get a pound off, as we're trying to encourage people to get their tickets early. The last event sold out, so dont leave it too late. All tickets are available at Shetland Drums behind JR Whites.

I wanted to put some clips of Stanton on here, but my computer is playing up. visit www.drummerworld.com for really good footage, as well as you tube which has quite a few clips.

If any other forum users have working computers, could they post the most viewed clip on you tube. Peerie Bryan whar is du?

Sounds great about Stanton. I'll come by the shop today for my tickets, how much just now for adult tickets and how mich for concessions. Thinkin to take the whole family as he's such a good drummer and a style that hasn't been seen much in Shetland.

Brill

[mod]Removed unnecessary quoting[/mod]

The cheaper tickets are available until Saturday 15th September, and are priced £8 adults and £6 child/concession. After that point they will go up by a pound on all tickets.

On checking other prices for the tour, we seem to be the cheapest, so that can only be good for the drumming community in Shetland.

I notice that the chad smith/steve white tour is running into some difficulty with Chads availability. Maybe it was just as well we missed out there.

On another topic, is anyone going to the Scottish Drum day on Sunday 30th September, or drummerlive on 20th and 21st October? The line ups are incredible, and I see Mr Lang is playing the main stage as well as the Mike Dolbear suite, doing a masterclass. Should be great, all the other years have!

Other drummers confirmed for drummerlive are Steve White and his band the Players, Lenny Kravitz's Cindy Blackman, and Nico McBrain of Iron Maiden. Vic Firth is also making an appearance.