Pubs in Shetland - children welcome ?

lastpubrunner

Hi All,

I'm up in Shetland in July - can't wait !

I was just wondering, can anyone tell me which pubs might or might not allow me to go in with my 12 year old son ? (afternoon or evening).

As the holder of a Personal Licence and having had a family-owned pub in Shropshire for 27 years, I realise that not all pubs make children welcome . . . as we used to do. My personal view (based on experience) is that there would be little harm to his well-being, if he were (for example) to hear live music and experience the convivial atmosphere of the Lounge Bar . . . . . . . of course, the Landlord/Landlady and/or other customers might not see it that way, and might consider it to be the equivalent of selling his soul to the devil.

Can anyone recommend anywhere where we could go in the evenings ?

Guest tiodylb17

There is a cinema and music venue called Mareel that I think allows children in thier bar area.

I would imagine most of the pubs would not allow a child in unless it was somewhere they could eat like a hotel bar, bistro etc

Edited by tiodylb17

I remember going into the pub in voe at the age of 13, by myself and buying a pint of larger. They actually served it to me too!! I drank it, though I thought it tasted like crap. I think the barman was trying to teach me a lesson and I was too stubborn not to look foolish by not drinking it.

Granted this was like 25 years ago.

Edited by Northern lights

In Scotland you can go into a pub once you are 14, if you meet the following conditions.

a) you are accompanied by a responsible adult.

b )do not attempt to buy or consume alcohol

c) the landlord does not object.

I'm aware of the legal constraints, but I was just wondering how 'fluid' the interpretation might be.  

In our pub, I remember when one couple (regulars) brought in their daughter at one day old.  She visited the pub with her parents, at least once a month for nearly twenty years.  We (ahem) turned a blind eye to the law and the Police never, ever bothered us, 'cos we kept a very orderly house - e.g., we were very strict about no swearing - and especially in front of children.

We noticed that all those children who came in at a very young age, turned out to be very nice, well-rounded and mature adults; when they were legally old enough to drink, it wasn't much of a big deal - they couldn't understand what the fuss was about and didn't feel the need to get blind drunk.  

I guess that I was just hoping, that some landlords might not object to a very well-behaved child, though of course, I'm not familiar with how judicious the Police are up there.

It seems rather ironic that I've asked this question . . . . . . . I see that the new landlady of a pub very close to where I live in Shropshire, is actually from Shetland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PzpuKKaN5c

http://www.shropshirestar.com/entertainment/2016/03/09/pairs-community-plan-for-oswestry-pub/

http://baileyhead.co.uk/2016/03/03/oswestry-mayor-to-open-community-pub-run-by-real-ale-champions/

The landlady's name is Grace Goodlad - does anyone know her ?

I wonder what part of Shetland she is from - my Grandmother was quite friendly with some Goodlads on Burra Isle.  Apparently, Grace went to University in Canterbury and has since stayed in England; I'll certainly be paying her pub a visit soon !

Edited by lastpubrunner