100 sheep shot

fionajohn

I find it unbeliefable that this has been going on for well over a year.

Surely the Police would  have been informed as soon as this atrocity became apparent and would have been able to track the culprits by now .

Bet if this was a few Otters there would be a bit more action.

And Malcolm I asked the same question about hearing the shots. Apparently some guns are so quiet that you no longer hear a bang,but just a muffled thud.  

OK, I'll bite.

Why would he/she/they be considered unstable?  Shooting a load of defenseless sheep might be considered a little "weird" and "stupid" but, I know a man who claims that he shot more than 200 rabbits in an afternoon.  Does that make the rabbit shooter "unstable"?

also

Who is to say that the shooting didn't stop because the perpetrator(s) didn't run out of ammunition or sheep?

Speculation is pointless.  Better wait for the "truth" to emerge and, as the police are involved, that is unlikely to happen until it (if ever) reaches court.

Seriously?  I mean seriously?  To quote Vicky Pollard "I soooo can't believe you just said that!" and I really wish you hadn't.  

Shooting sheep is wrong.  Very wrong.  If you think this is acceptable, then I can only wonder. 

The whole situation saddens and disappoints me (at mostly your opinion).

I find it unbeliefable that this has been going on for well over a year.

Surely the Police would  have been informed as soon as this atrocity became apparent and would have been able to track the culprits by now .

Bet if this was a few Otters there would be a bit more action.

And Malcolm I asked the same question about hearing the shots. Apparently some guns are so quiet that you no longer hear a bang,but just a muffled thud.  

According to the SN report, the Police were informed at the beginning, but seem to have taken little interest, and quite frankly they seem to be paying it little more than lip service even yet.

If some/all of this has taken place in a hill the chances of much being heard is slim. Noise rises, and there's always more wind on higher ground distorting and dissipating it, you'd need to have been relatively close by and/or higher up to have heard much.

What confounds me is why the folk involved (SN are stating a total of 6 owners involving, around 120 sheep dead plus two cattle injured spread over 14 months) have apprently been so casual about it for so long and with such a high body count. Each to their own by all means, but virtually everybody I know who owns livestock would have gone ballistic and done something about it themselves long, long ago.

Yes! Ghostrider, all rather strange that this has taken so long to raise it's ugly head when one considers that firearms are involved.

Most if not all folk I know in the farming buisness would certainly make a lot of noise if they found any of there animals  being molested with far less being shot.

Guess that now it has hit the national headlines the Brae area will be crawilng with cops and rightly so.

Interview with Allan Ridland on Shetland News site today says:

"When he first contacted police back in spring last year following the first shooting incident he was told that this was a case of vandalism."

I would say that vandalism is spray-painting a rude word on someone's garage door, or breaking a couple of windows.

Surely, ​slaughtering farmers' livestock on their own agricultural land is just a wee bit more serious than 'vandalism'? Especially when it is next to a popular outdoor centre where young bairns are running about outside.

Because the police had not managed to put a stop to it sooner, the farmers have had no choice but to go public,

so the perpetrators will likely not now be caught, lying low now they know that more folk will be keeping a watch out.

I shudder to think what the psychopaths will move onto next to get their kicks...

http://www.countryfile.com/countryside/truth-about-rabbit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2794875/suddenly-s-britain-s-trendiest-food-read-never-want-eat-rabbit-again.html

I can understand those saying that rabbits are a pest whereas sheep aren't, but there are also those who would deem killing any animal to be a sin, be it going in the food chain or not.

I view Colin's comment as playing devil's advocate.

So many people read my words and, sadly, so few actually understand them...  Pity really..

Before anyone wants to spit any more bile in my general direction..  Go back a READ my post.

Brochbuilder summed your comments up pretty well and yes I read them again

Then go and read them once more and, this time, take a note of the question marks (they look like this "?").

Far to many people around here jump to conclusions and assume opinions without any basis of fact.  Personally, I prefer not to echo the "general opinion" but, would rather ask questions and take a position based on the answers.

Funny thing is, I haven't had any answers.  Lots of people saying how awful the whole business must be (and it is) but, as usual, just this weeks hot air..

As suffereofetc....... pointed out.  Some of us consider it wrong to kill ANY animal without good cause and, what might be "vermin" to some people are "cute little furry things" to others. Shooting a couple of hundred rabbits and leaving them lying around is, imho, no different to doing the same with sheep.. Now, if that is "imbecilic", carry on and join the feeding frenzy..  Just be careful not to upset any genuine(?) imbeciles..   One of them might be armed... :razz:

Oh, and by they way, rabbits are also farmed for their meat and fur..  How does that square up with supporters of the "woolly gods" ?

Interesting to see comments about rabbits.

The rabbit population was reasonably controlled way back when folk caught them to eat,and sell there carcasses and skins. This helped to provide a little extra in them days when things were not so plentiful.

Snares were a common site and also these horrible traps which are now thankfully banned (snares are probably banned to?)

But someone decided correctly or incorrectly to introduce Myxomatosis and this completely put folk off eating rabbits consequently the rabbit population increased as they gradually built up resistance to this horrible disease.

Many methods have been used to capture rabbits ,gas ,ferrets,nets ect but I'm sure they would still be served up on many plates,provideing a good meal had Myxomatosis not been introduced to these islands  

The ban on the fur trade also seriously added to the increase of the rabbit population.

Edited by Urabug