Whether you wanted to remain in the EU or Leave it things have been set into motion which cannot be stopped.

The one thing that has happened that was always going to happen was another call for an independence referendum.

We as Shetlanders regardless of our political opinion have a duty to use this current situation to help our economy,people&position.

The Scottish parliament are threatening to leave the uk to remain in the EU....i've only heard people complain at the reduction in support for the isles since the Snp became stronger around Scotland in both Westminster and Holyrood so i don't see lots of support for them from the majority of shetlanders and i suppose the vote count between Mr Skene and Mr Scott showed that.

The positions we have to look at is that Scotland is looking to go on its own and uses the line that because they own alot of oil (alot of which is situated in and off of Shetland) that Scotland could do very well for itself out of the uk the other is that the Westminster Government want to calm everything down to bring stability to the markets while there is economic uncertainty.

We have the biggest trump card and Shetland actually is in such a strong position! yet i haven't heard anything from the council or from anyone in positions of authority here.

As an island we can tell the Scottish parliament that we won't support there bid to remain and we will take independence from scotland and take the oil with us unless they offer us a higher long term budget increase for the isles.

The other option could be that we go to the Westminster parliament and tell them that we will pull the plug by joining the UK as Scotland leaves and we will bring the oil with us if there's no will from Shetlanders to stay part of Scotland.

Only other option is that we go it alone cut a deal for a portion of the oil/gas or take it all to support ourselves.

This is just my idea i understand other people have better ones and others are more aware of the possibilities however all this post is is a hope that others will start to discuss this so that we can do something for our islands to win more for the people of Shetland while all other parts of the UK are discussing their possibilities lets do the same!!!

Hope to hear your opinions and your ideas.

I think our only hope is to see candidates from Wir Shetland standing for the Shetland elections next year.  

I'm stunned at the fawning I'm seeing from our SIC convenor/councillors and MSP towards the EU.

Now Tavish is sitting at the same table as Nicola Sturgeon and defending the EU.  The same EU that has destroyed the Shetland fishing fleet and allows 120 metre super trawlers to fish within 2 miles of wir coast during the mackrel fishery.

And allows flag of convenience rust buckets to fish unregulated around Shetland 24/7.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/12951-tavish-backs-nicola-s-approach-to-eu-exit

I've never seen Shetland in such dark days politically........

Edited by Kavi Ugl

If we were to go it alone or rejoin England after a Scottish exit if they got one, all Scotland needs to do to punish Shetland would be to say "there is no room in Aberdeen harbour for the Northlink boat or any port in Scotland unless

you give us that oil - it's long way by boat to England"

Don't think for one moment that Nicola wouldn't try this, she is only looking out for one person herself and the history books.

To this Joannie I would say remember the source. Not being a fisherman and being too young to remember what was going on at the time I cannot dispel the article entirely. 

I can say however that fishing practices (and I imagine attitudes) have changed since then. Not a single fisherman I know wants to fish the sea dry and leave nothing for their children or grandchildren. Everyone knows a sensible management system would have to be implemented. 

A self governing Shetland would be able to choose what this system would look like, perhaps looking to our nordic neighbours for examples of good practice? 

Shetland's fishing grounds are, and will always be, it's most valuable resource. The scope for this totally renewable resource to benefit everyone here is huge but this will only happen if we have the power to manage it ourselves. 

yeah da overfishing had absolutely nothing to do with the dozens (and I do mean dozens, 13 different nationalities I counted in one day) all fishing within 20 miles from wir shores as soon as we entered the eec, not waiting till 2003 as claimed.

How did you manage to count all those boats and identify their nationalities back in 1973?

To this Joannie I would say remember the source. Not being a fisherman and being too young to remember what was going on at the time I cannot dispel the article entirely. 

When I worked at the SIC one of my jobs was administering loans to Shetland fishing boats. Through the 1980's and 1990's the landings got better and the boats got bigger. The high point was when the last incarnations of the Sunbeam and Andromeda arrived. They had to get rid of them in the early 2000's. Many other boats were decommissioned in the same period.

The Shetland fishing has had a comeback in recent years with new boats entering the fleet, partly due to recovering fish stocks.

When I worked at the SIC one of my jobs was administering loans to Shetland fishing boats. Through the 1980's and 1990's the landings got better and the boats got bigger. The high point was when the last incarnations of the Sunbeam and Andromeda arrived. They had to get rid of them in the early 2000's. Many other boats were decommissioned in the same period.

The Shetland fishing has had a comeback in recent years with new boats entering the fleet, partly due to recovering fish stocks.

Perhaps it has enjoyed a recovery of sorts but I have heard it is still extremely difficult for a new crew to get into the industry, mainly due to the price of quota. 

There is still scope for expansion and development, a fraction of fish caught in Shetland waters is landed here for example. 

Control over management of this precious resource will help ensure it can support Shetland for the future, the opportunity should not be ignored because of a public perception that the industry is "doing all right". 

yeah da overfishing had absolutely nothing to do with the dozens (and I do mean dozens, 13 different nationalities I counted in one day) all fishing within 20 miles from wir shores as soon as we entered the eec, not waiting till 2003 as claimed.

How did you manage to count all those boats and identify their nationalities back in 1973?

It was 1986 binoculars and flag recognition, there was also this fabulous thing called a VHF