Diversity of, or lack of, shopping in Shetland

dodd

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't quite imagine how £4000 could be spent on clothes, especially "the basic stuff". The last jumper I bought cost £1.25 from Cancer Research, and it had a curious stain printed on it for free! If I have to spend more than £15 on a pair of jeans I usually spend a couple of hours in tears afterwards. Then I spend the next three days hating myself for supporting slave labour. Then I wear them.

Four Thousand English Pounds!!??

£4K at TK Maxx would surely buy the whole shop wouldn't it?

I think you will find that I said TK MAXX, RIVER ISLAND, NEXT, M&S, ZARRA, AND DEBENHAMS....

You could likely buy the whole stock o' TK Maxx for about a Grand. Did the other three K go on the entire stock o' the other five shops? Shurley!

Honestly Darkstar. £4K is a shocking sum of money to go on clothes. That must nearly be what I've spent in my entire lifetime on clothes... and I dunna just go around with my boiler suit and Yellow rubber boots on all the time! Well, not that often!

The day that I have £4K to spend on clothes is the day I'll have more money than I keen what to do with! I wid probably buy 400,000 penny sweeties actually... but then whit wid I do we my £4000 penny sweeties allowance? Probably invest it.

Dey'll joost blow aff da line du keens! Burra/Scalloway will hay da best dressed trows in Shetland I tell thee!

well... to be honest that wasnt in one go that was over a number of weeks about ... ooooh 12 or something.. just stocking up and it is stuff that doesnt really go out of fashion.. bootcut and skinny jeans and baggy boyfriend jeans wont go out of fashion... neither will wooly jumpers... and blouses, shirts, and dresses... nor will t-shirts... so its more of the basic stuff than basic instinct! lol.. :wink:

And that wasnt just me... that was both of us... :twisted:

So it's about £2000 a piece of you. That doesn't sound too much at all.

Be prepared for a shock when you come up here though. There are very few who make any effort at all to smarten themselves up. It's a totally different attitude up here to down on the mainland.

I've never seen so many trussy folk as there are up here. It's generally the blokes who are a total mess though. Most of the lasses make a bit of an effort.

Their replies to your post really highlights the general attitude up here.

Down-to-earth you mean?

£2,000 is nearly £40 a week, every week, for an entire year. Except it seems that we are only talking about 12 weeks... :shock:

If £166 per week is considered 'normal' to spend on clothes then I am happy to dress as a trown.

Down-to-earth you mean?

Thank you Fjool, that's exactly the type of attitude I think prevails up here regarding people who make an effort to smarten themselves up.

Smartly dressed....equals.....can't be down-to-earth.

How shallow !!

If 'smartly dressed' requires £166 per week, then yes... it is not down-to-earth.

I know lots of people who dress very nicely for far less than that.

Some people prefer to spend that kind of money on booze every week.

And we would both agree that such people have a problem.

To be frank, I don't really consider any weekly figure to be down-to-earth. Buying clothes on a weekly basis is just odd.

If I total up everything I bought this year (including underwear and shoes), I think my weekly average is about £10. The average is high this year because I got married and so bought a suit, shoes.

I know that I have neither style nor taste, but it's just not that important to me. I am not prepared to pay hundreds of pounds to a trendy boutique who help me pretend that I have some.

Thank you Fjool, that's exactly the type of attitude I think prevails up here regarding people who make an effort to smarten themselves up.

How shallow !!

Oh yes, much more shallow than judging people by how much money they spend on designer clothes :)