Steve Irwin

Tomblands

Quote from the BBC news website
No funeral arrangements have been announced yet, but Queensland State Premier Peter Beattie said Mr Irwin would be given a state funeral if his family approved.

Ok so he was popular but a State Funeral?.

Whats the popularity cut-off age for state funerals in your opinion?

I would say he was equally as known as Michael Hutcheson, a fellow aussie who had a state funeral (I'm sure he did, correct me if i'm wrong).

I assume you mean Michael Hutchence, the INXS lead singer?

I can't say if Hutchence had a state funeral, given the circumstances around his death I would doubt it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw a clip on the tv news last night that for me summed up what was wrong with the guy. Holding a bit of food at arms length in front of a croc to persuade it to leap upwards might be ok but to be holding a baby in his other arm while doing it is not.

Why?

:? Ummmm....cos it's recklessly endangering the baby maybe.

I'm not getting involved in the general discussion of wether Steve was a maniac or not, but the baby incident was mental.

He knew what he was doing, he was an expert, and he proved it so as the baby was unharmed.

I beg to differ.

He got away with a ridiculously risky stunt.

That's what Steve spent his career doing: getting away with crazy risks. Your suggestion that he knew no harm would come to the baby, because he was "an expert", is shown to be utter folly by the manner of his death.

Risking his own life for his career is fine by me. Risking the life of a child (and I don't care how experienced he was, that's exactly what he was doing) is totally unacceptable.

Honors

In 2001 Irwin was awarded the Centenary Medal for his "service to global conservation and to Australian tourism".[12] In 2004 he was recognised as Tourism Export of the Year.[13] Also in 2004, he was nominated for Australian of the Year, which was won by Steve Waugh. Doubts were cast over his nomination when the "baby Bob" incident occurred in January that year.

He founded the Steve Irwin Conservation Foundation, which was later renamed Wildlife Warriors Worldwide, and became an independent charity. He was described after his death by the CEO of RSPCA Queensland as a "modern-day Noah", and British naturalist David Bellamy lauded his skills as a natural historian and media performer.[16] Irwin discovered a new species of turtle that now bears his name, Elseya irwini — Irwin's Turtle — a species of turtle found on the coast of Queensland. [17]

He also helped to found a number of other projects, such as the International Crocodile Rescue, as well as the Lyn Irwin Memorial Fund, in memory of his mother, with proceeds going to the Iron Bark Station Wildlife Rehabilitation Center.

From his wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin

I wasn't going to reply but why not.

He was an expert with crocodiles, not sting rays. How many times do you think he has been harmed by a crocodile? I don't know the answer myself, but I would guess it to be pretty close to zero. I would take this into account (not just the size of the crocodiles teeth) when judging the baby incident, I don't think it was as dangerous as is being made out. Stupid, yes, but I don't think the baby was at huge risk.

Anyway give the guy a break, he's dead!

Guest perrie-lipper
I wasn't going to reply but why not.

He was an expert with crocodiles, not sting rays. How many times do you think he has been harmed by a crocodile? I don't know the answer myself, but I would guess it to be pretty close to zero. I would take this into account (not just the size of the crocodiles teeth) when judging the baby incident, I don't think it was as dangerous as is being made out. Stupid, yes, but I don't think the baby was at huge risk.

Anyway give the guy a break, he's dead!

I have to agree with you Junior, I was so saddened to hear such terrible news of a guy who made a name for himself doing something he loved so much and others can only dream off.

I was also not going to enter this forum, as the remarks made throughout the discussion I find quiet low key with a sense of no regard for respect of human life and integrity at a time of morning for many people world wide.

I was also not going to enter this forum, as the remarks made throughout the discussion I find quiet low key with a sense of no regard for respect of human life and integrity at a time of morning for many people world wide.

I don't agree with you on this point. Just because someone has died means you shouldn't reveal your true feelings about them?

If anyone had been coming on here saying "HAHAHAH HE IS DEAD LOL!" then I would agree that was quite poor. However the comments posted so far have been fairly respectful regardless of whether they poster liked the guy or not. But to say people are being disrespectful for showing their true feelings in an acceptable manner is, quite frankly, balls.

If you look up his own feelings on the matter, he always insisted that the cameras keep rolling, no matter what, in case his own dramatic demise be caught on tape. Then i noticed on a news tickertape yesterday that in the end, yes indeed, it was all caught on camera. He knew fine well what he was doing and how risky it could be. Who could forget the legendary time where his face was licked by Australias most venomous snake. That takes bravado, balls and an awful lot of subject knowledge.

Oh, and as to sensitivity and respect, i'd opt for the measuring stick that you never know who might read it ie, family, friends etc. You don't have to like people because they're dead, just have a care for those left behind.

I remember telling a tasteless joke about a major air disaster once, only then to be informed by the guy sitting across from me in the work canteen that his Granny was killed in the crash 8O . I felt instantly shattered into a million tiny pieces like in a Tom & Jerry skit. As i struggled for words to back-peddle with, he then reply "Not really. but she could've been". It's a lesson i'll never forget.

I hate it when some dies and everyone goes on about how great they were etc, etc.

In Irwins case he poked one to many animals and his luck ran out.

Its not a case of going on about him being great, its a case of accentuating the positive and elimanating the negative ( :wink: )

And do you know that he "poked" what the string ray :?:

Stop being a squelchy booble pop :!:

I was not meaning him, just folk in general. I new a few folk I was glad to see kick the bucket and had to put up with hearing what a shame, how great they were etc when I actually thought what a pack of crap.

I bet steve was pokeing the sting ray or annoying it in some way otherwise it would never have attacked him.

I hate it when some dies and everyone goes on about how great they were etc, etc.

In Irwins case he poked one to many animals and his luck ran out.

Its not a case of going on about him being great, its a case of accentuating the positive and elimanating the negative ( :wink: )

Isn't that in contravention of the Trade Descriptions Act, or something. :wink:

Personally I see not a thing wrong with saying no different about someone in death than you said about them in life, to praise up someone you were considerably less than enthusiastic about, and ignore their shortcomings just because they reached the end of the line, is, IMHO, hypocritical in the extreme.

Not sure about hypocritical Ghostrider. I think there are times you should say what you think, and times you shouldn't. Thats not hypocracy, more just respect I'd say.

Having said all that I haven't found myself in any way against the (less than respectful) jokes, so maybe I am being hypocritical :?