Cost of Decrofting

BigMouth

Depends on just about whatever corncerning cost. Some circumstances it needn't cost much, others......, it depends on what the specifics of the individual case are.

If the house was built on registered croft land, regardless of whether the remainder of the croft is rented out/sold to someone other than whoever has ownership/occupancy of the house, both the land and the house site remain as part of one single registered croft. The only ways either the house site, the land or both can change its single entity registered croft status with the other is if one or the other is decrofted, or if the single registered croft of which they both are part is sub-divided in to two individual crofts in their own right.

The only circumstances in which it would be difficult to do without a lawyer would be if the ownership of the land and the house was with different people, as each individual owner would need to have a new Title drawn up and registered if that hadn't already been done. In circumstances where ownership of the land and house remains with one person ie. One person owns both land and house and rents the land to another party, but either stays in the house themselves or rents it out on a normal commercial letting basis to a different other party than the land is rented to, it would just be a case of decrofting the house site, which should be within the ability of most folk to do themselves.

The Crofting Commission are the people who oversee and (attempt to) enforce Crofting legislation, so they would be the ones to contact to get definitive answers from. I dunno whether their website is worth much or not, as I've never dug through it properly to fine out, but it would be a resonable starting point.

http://www.crofting.scotland.gov.uk/

Edited by Ghostrider

I'm interested to know this as well.

We were/are looking at getting a croft until we found we can't unless the house site gets decrofted and we can get a mortgage on the house (subject to finding work) and then buy the land with cash separately.

Found one we liked but according to the estate agent, the current folk weren't willing to decroft it, so no luck there.

The cost would be interesting to know to see if that would sweeten up any deal etc

I am asking the question as I had asked the estate agent regarding a croft selling on Yell at the moment for a ball park figure on decrofting costs. They asked their solicitors, in the same office, who wouldn't tell, and suggested I asked my own solicitor. I was surprised by the lack of service as I was only asking for a ball park figure, not anyone to stake their pension on it. I am used to lower standards of service in much of the retail sector here, but I didn't realise that it also extended to estate agency too.

If you are currently selling your croft on Yell, your estate agents are not doing you any favours!

I am asking the question as I had asked the estate agent regarding a croft selling on Yell at the moment for a ball park figure on decrofting costs. They asked their solicitors, in the same office, who wouldn't tell, and suggested I asked my own solicitor. I was surprised by the lack of service as I was only asking for a ball park figure, not anyone to stake their pension on it. I am used to lower standards of service in much of the retail sector here, but I didn't realise that it also extended to estate agency too.

If you are currently selling your croft on Yell, your estate agents are not doing you any favours!

We've probably been looking at the same croft then as that was pretty much what I got, but said the sellers didn't want to do it. When I asked how much they pretty much said they wouldn't regardless. 

​In my experience, a rough ball park figure would be in the region of £1600-2000.

Thank you!

I'm interested to know this as well.

We were/are looking at getting a croft until we found we can't unless the house site gets decrofted and we can get a mortgage on the house (subject to finding work) and then buy the land with cash separately.

Found one we liked but according to the estate agent, the current folk weren't willing to decroft it, so no luck there.

The cost would be interesting to know to see if that would sweeten up any deal etc

If you can find any way to finance the deal to buy the house and land together you're very likely to end off much better off in the end. Once the house and land are split from each other, both tend to command a higher market price. Simply by default of being attached to each other, and as such the house can't be considered for a mortgage and neither the land nor house is acceptable as collateral for a loan, the selling price tends to be whatever the house is worth, or whatever the land is worth, whichever is highest, and NOT the value of both land and house combined. Once split the house and land tend to command their full market value in their own right's individually.