Fixed links

The bear

Blyed to see a bit oh common sense fae Shetlander and 9walker.

It's time to move on fae dis debate.

All that it is doing is delaying any chance we have of getting any improvements to the ferry service.

The idea that ferry crew and the council are working together is laughable, considering they ditched the new ferries for whalsay in 2010 and went with a tunnel.

Surprisingly enough they couldn't secure funding which will be even harder now after brexit.

Well bear if it 'can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it', why do you not just nip to Norway and fetch one of these cheap tunnels, then we can open it next weekend with a barbeque & disco.

If the S.I.C had got there finger out there backside when they first started looking into fixed links we would have them now and they wouldn't have the cost of running ferries and upgrading terminals, 

The time there been farting about we could have had a tunnel built to Norway and Aberdeen,

Edited by glipper

Blyed to see a bit oh common sense fae Shetlander and 9walker.

It's time to move on fae dis debate.

All that it is doing is delaying any chance we have of getting any improvements to the ferry service.

The idea that ferry crew and the council are working together is laughable, considering they ditched the new ferries for whalsay in 2010 and went with a tunnel.

Surprisingly enough they couldn't secure funding which will be even harder now after brexit.

Absolutely. Had the councillors at the time stuck to the question of where a new Whalsay terminal should go, it and some of the ferries might well have been biggit by noo. Instead, another pile of money was wasted on plans, surveys, wave studies and whitno and there's no prospect of service improvements anytime soon.

I believe last time around there was money set aside for new ferries/terminals for Whalsay but then the SIC used perceived divisions within the community to give Whalsay nothing and proceeded to spend the money on other things. A pier in Walls I believe was one and a road near Aith another, quite happy to be corrected on this if incorrect. 

Personally I think all options should be explored but the tunnel idea is just going to take too long for Whalsay. We need an improved ferry service now, we cannot wait another 6 or more years again. 

Could the SIC not look at building a new mainland terminal for the Whalsay route at Bonydale (shortening the crossing to 10 minutes) and perhaps look in to a tunnel to Yell (would benefit Yell, Unst and Fetlar) then when that is complete give Whalsay the Yell ferries and look at providing a tunnel when their lifespans come to an end?

I believe last time around there was money set aside for new ferries/terminals for Whalsay but then the SIC used perceived divisions within the community to give Whalsay nothing and proceeded to spend the money on other things. A pier in Walls I believe was one and a road near Aith another, quite happy to be corrected on this if incorrect. 

Personally I think all options should be explored but the tunnel idea is just going to take too long for Whalsay. We need an improved ferry service now, we cannot wait another 6 or more years again. 

Could the SIC not look at building a new mainland terminal for the Whalsay route at Bonydale (shortening the crossing to 10 minutes) and perhaps look in to a tunnel to Yell (would benefit Yell, Unst and Fetlar) then when that is complete give Whalsay the Yell ferries and look at providing a tunnel when their lifespans come to an end?

Again, it'll likely depend on time and money. Would Whalsay benefit much from a new terminal at Bonidale without the bigger Yell ferries to use it? If so, I'd doubt a tunnel to Yell could be planned and biggit within 10 years even if there was money available for it.

I suspect finnin money even for a new terminal at Bonidale will be a struggle but a lot will likely depend on whether the Scottish Government take over responsibility for ferries/terminals. If they take the view that fares, service levels and the age of ferries/terminals need to be brought in line across the board I'm not sure it'd be a good thing for Shetland. 

Going back to ghost rider statement "is it not more complicated than that" well it can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it!!!

I'd rather make it as uncomplicated as possible, which is what it isn't right now.

Losing the oceans of red tape (and associated cost) that the EU and Holyrood is would go a long way, as would getting a local government who thought for themselves and thought outside of the box.

Finally, its all very well calling for tunnels/bridges instead of ferries, but its not for any one person or group of people to dictate either way. Is there verifiable proof of a clear majority in favour of a fixed link in the isles concerned? Without that, there is no mandate for anyone to be pursuing the fixed link option.

Short/medium term folk still need to get on/off the isles somehow, and knackered boats and piers aren't going to cut it.

Edited by Ghostrider