Shetland Metal Detecting Club & Historical Society

DetectorMan

For those interested in Shetland's history and are looking for an interesting outdoor activity, we're pleased to announce the newly formed 'Shetland Metal Detecting Club & Historical Society' (SMDCHS).

The club is planning some very interesting projects during 2017 and we cordially invite any Shetland resident to join us - even if you currently don't own a metal detector!

New members of all ages** are welcome to apply to join by going to www.smchs.co.uk

* applicants under age 16 require parental consent

Note: The club has a Code of Conduct as specified by the National Council for Metal Detecting (NCMD) and fully complies with the law pertaining to scheduled monuments which are legally protected under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.

Thank you for your contribution. Yes, I'm fully aware of the local metal detecting Facebook site at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1555256768043005/. It's run by John Wishart and also Michael Bain of Cunningsburgh. I know and have met John and he fully endorses the new Club and when we have a meeting I'm hoping he'll be happy to be the new Club chairman.

• 1 month later...

Further to my announcement about Shetland's new Metal Detecting Club & Historical Society, here is the link to my full article that appeared in the Shetland Times 31/12/16:

http://www.smdchs.co.uk/docs/romansinshetland.pdf

Contrary to a follow-up 'Letter to the Editor' at the Shetland Times from the "infamous" Jeremy Godwin who writes a plethora of editorial 'replies' to newspapers all over the UK, here's my reply to the Editor:

Regarding my recent article in the Shetland Times (30/01/17), "Hunt on to prove Romans were here before the Norse", I'd like to reply to Jeremy Godwin's letter contending  'Coins are not Roman'. This was a rather poor title for the Times to use, because coins found in Shetland were indeed Roman - but may not necessarily have been 'traded'. Further to this rebuke and Mr Godwin's comments, I fully acknowledge my typo error where I should have stated Agricola was Tacitus' father-in-law, and not the other way around. 

Perhaps if Mr Godwin had read my full 12 page document more closely which is downloadable from www.smdchs.co.uk where I correctly stated the relationship between Agricola and Tacitus, he would have realised the error in my Times article, plus many other areas I have researched that he seems to dispute. In addition, nowhere do I state that the Romans used coins in sacrifices. In my full document I mention it was not uncommon for the Romans to "make offerings to their Gods with coins and other artefacts", but this does not imply making sacrifices.

Regardless, Mr Godwin who is apparently a regular protagonist on many island newspapers 'letters to the editor' (and does not live on Shetland), I realise that both he and the sceptics will have a field day with my theory.

I take great reassurance that Calvert and Schliemann discovered the legendary Troy and the Vikings had a settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland, Canada some 500 years before Columbus. So, is it so far fetched the Romans actually visited Shetland? The research and the hunt for proof continues.....

Paul Meyer
Shetland Metal Detecting Club & Historical Society

Having found SMDCHS and this thread when looking for info about Romans in Shetland I would be interested in joining the club. I notice there is no fee mentioned, would I be right in thinking you are still to set up a committee and would then sort out fees etc.?

Thanks for your interest trooter. If you'd like to become a member you can apply via the website at: www.smdchs.co.uk/join

There are no fees to join the SMDCHS, but I would encourage all our SMDCHS members to join the National Council for Metal Detecting in April (start of their year for subs). As a NCMD Member you’ll also benefit from having £10,000,000 of Public Liability Insurance Cover. http://www.ncmd.co.uk/membership.htm

BTW, it was nice of Frances144 to grant permission to detect of her land, but be VERY careful the mound mentioned is not listed on the Canmore website - could result in a £10,000 fine & a prison sentence!!

Cheers,

Paul

Webmaster & Sec

'Shetland Metal Detecting Club & Historical Society' (SMDCHS)

www.smdchs.co.uk

• 6 years later...

Hello! I wonder if you are still going? I, Magnus Mansie am planning to travel to the Shetlands shortly and I love  metal detecting so just looked up Shetlands and metal detecting and came up with you! I'm from Australia and hope to pop by next week sometime. If you are still metal detecting and would be interested in a chum tagging along, would you mind emailing me? magnus@rusbar.com.au

Hope so!

Regards Magnus