dumped dogs

Claadehol

I realise that dumped pets are a tragic problem in this country, but surely we should be looking at the figures regarding those already in RSPCA kennels before importing from Spain and elsewhere. Please dont make accusations of canine rascism here it just makes sense doesnt it?

Apparently there are major problems with puppy farms in Romania shipping in large numbers of various breeds. These breeders are not regulated like those here it seems.

People are running businesses and making big money importing these unfortunate animals and it needs to stop.

While it makes sense on the mainland to go to UK dog rescue centres, if you already have a dog many make it near impossible to adopt from them if you are not in the mainland - no matter how experienced a dog owner you are.

I can see why people choose the more accessible, Spanish rescue, option, ridiculous as it may seem.

So while I agree with you in principle, I would certainly consider a Spanish rescue over a British one because spending 3, 4 6 or 8 weeks on the mainland getting to know a dog first with regular visits is just not feasible.

Breeksy, it is absolutely possible to adopt a UK mainland dog while living in Shetland! I adopted a dog from a very reputable scottish breed rescue a few years back and I had no problems whatsoever despite already having a dog.  Homechecks and vet references were all arranged and full rescue back up was in place. 

Have you ever asked yourself WHY rescues ask that a potential adopter visits the dog a few times before the adoption? It is certainly not to inconvenience you! If you can't make that sacrifice and try to actually work together with the rescue orga to ensure that the dog is placed with the right family and is not ending up being pushed from pillar to post than I am not surprised that rescues turn you down.

as that's an incredible judgement you have made without knowing me or my circumstances.

1) I fully understand why rescue centres have checks in place. It may be that some rescue centres are more zealous than others and maybe you are fortunate to use a rescue with less onerous requirements but I know of people that have not been able to afford multiple visits (and I'm not just speaking about money, time is also a factor) to the mainland in order to adopt a rescue dog (including someone that visited Spain on order to make sure the dog get are considering was the right one for them).

Oh, and 'near impossible' does not mean it isn't possible. Just for your future reference.

2) you have made a massive leap to suggest that I have been turned down by rescues. You are clearly reading between the lines to manage to get information that simply isn't there and isn't true. I have not been turned down by any rescue organisation. But why let facts get in the way when you can attempt a personal attack, huh?

You are making the same judgements about UK rescues. There are plenty of UK rescues that will quite happily rehome to the isles and no, I did not travel down to meet the dog, it was not a requirement and due to my personal circumstances it was not possible either.

It is more a case of people should do a bit of searching before jumping to the conclusion that living in Shetland  = can't adopt a mainland dog but let's instead get one off Shetlink which is flooded with adverts. 

What happens to the failed adoptions in Shetland? Do they get returned to Spain or do they ultimately end up clogging up the UK rescue system as is the case with many foreign dogs already? 

In reply to AS.....Of course there are back street breeders in the UK, that's why people should ensure they do their homework and locate reputable people. I am just emphasising the Romanian breeders problem that has hit the news lately, which programme also emphasised the checks people should make.

Of course there are rogues everywhere, but let's not import more, we have enough of our own already. 

I am not making assumptions. My knowledge of how many UK shelters operate is based on actual experiences.

Interesting to note that you say this 'If you can't make that sacrifice and try to actually work together with the rescue orga to ensure that the dog is placed with the right family and is not ending up being pushed from pillar to post than I am not surprised that rescues turn you down.' in regards to visiting rescue centres, and yet didn't visit one yourself.

And if you can't see the personal attack you made then I can't help you.

My post was not an attack on UK rescue centres as you seem to think. They do a very good job, mostly. They can put on whatever restrictions they choose. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

But if people find it easier to get a dog (quote possibly previously owned by a brit who has abandoned the dog"in Spain , that hapoens way too often), then I can understand why they go down that route.

What concerns me about this situation is that I see more and more foreign imported dogs ultimately ending up in the UK rescue system when adoptions fail. (I am a member on various rescue forums.) In a sense we are importing more dogs that will stretch the reserves of UK rescues who are struggling and bursting at the seams already as it is. But rather than those dogs being re homed, more dogs keep coming in from outside the UK because people find it easier than going through a UK adoption process. This is not just a UK problem, I know the same thing is happening in other european countries too.

The bottom line is quite clearly that this is a huge pet overpopulation scenario and there are just literally not enough homes for all the dogs needing to be re homed. Yet there are no restrictions on breeding and neuter campaigns among street dog populations are a drop in the ocean. So what is the answer? Restrictions on breeding and major stepping up on s+n, but neither is realistically going to happen. That is bad for "business". I doubt there will ever be effective legislation to combat the problem.

As usual it is the dogs themselves that suffer and yes, I fully agree that a dog in need is a dog in need, where ever it might be. It is not the poor critter's fault where it was born. But we are just reshuffling the cards and importing one overpopulation problem from one country into another without actually doing something about the root cause.

I know a Spanish rescue dog.  Great little (or not so little) fellow and I am assured that he really needed someone from the UK to adopt him as the chances of a new home in Spain were close to zero.  It was my sister who adopted him and she already has two rescued greyhounds so she has certainly done her bit for UK dogs.  Yes of course the Spanish people ought to "rescue" their own dogs but if that is not happening is it so wrong for her to give her new dog a home?.

The only way forward is education about animal welfare. Spain is no exception, many shelters in Med/ Balkan countries face the same struggles: locals will rarely adopt. They breed/ buy instead. 

Because everybody wants the cute puppy with the (dubious) bloodlines. Look at Shetland: plenty of needless pet companion animal breeding going on here on our own doorstep.