North Isles Bus - Not Allowed To Park Right Outside Tesco Store

Guest Fetlar Writer

Guest Fetlar Writer

The north isles bus that does the daily run to Lerwick, has been stopped from picking up shoppers right outside the store by a Tesco representative.

Last Weds - the driver was told to park the coach in the car park NOT directly outside the store, which has annoyed many elderly shoppers who don't want to drag trolleys right across the car-park; especially in bad weather. Also, many of these shoppers are disabled, and either don't drive or have stopped driving and take the bus instead - they are not able to safely manage pushing a packed trolley across the car-park.

Those of us that use this service want people to complain to Tesco about this. After all, quite often the bus is full of people who shop in their store - so maybe we should think about not buying our shopping in Tesco unless the situation improves? 

On Friday 2nd December, I was on the bus. Because the car-park was so busy, the driver couldn't park in the car-park-  so what was he expected to do? Let people drag their shopping out into the main road? He parked right outside the store and waited to see if he would be moved on - luckily, on that occasion he wasn't, and was able to safely pick up shoppers.

If you are affected by this or are unhappy about this situation, please call Tesco and complain. The telephone number for the store is:

0345 6719524 (that's the number I found on the top of the Tesco receipt)

Edited by Fetlar Writer

AFAIK, Tesco have every right to prevent buses parking right outside their store entrance as they have, correctly, identified them as a hazard to drivers and pedestrians alike.

They are also a nuisance to store users who, traditionally, wait at the entrance for Taxi's etc.

I suspect that ALL the various "shopper" buses have been told to park elsewhere.

I guess your point is that you require "special privileges" not afforded to other store users who might also be elderly/disabled etc.

I wonder if Tesco are going to provide a "buses only" parking area.

Guest Fetlar Writer

It is exactly the same situation with the shoppers buses that go to the Co-Op. 

Did shopper buses ever park outside CO-OP? I don't know because I've only ever known our bus to pick up people with shopping from Tesco. 

Edited by Fetlar Writer

Guest Fetlar Writer

AFAIK, Tesco have every right to prevent buses parking right outside their store entrance as they have, correctly, identified them as a hazard to drivers and pedestrians alike.

They are also a nuisance to store users who, traditionally, wait at the entrance for Taxi's etc.

I suspect that ALL the various "shopper" buses have been told to park elsewhere.

I guess your point is that you require "special privileges" not afforded to other store users who might also be elderly/disabled etc.

I wonder if Tesco are going to provide a "buses only" parking area.

No, not really looking for "special privileges" - my point is that Tesco once allowed the coach to pick up shoppers from right outside... it's not as if the bus is sitting there all day, blocking entrances - there is enough room for a taxi to pull up behind, I've seen that happen. And maybe you're right - other "shopper" buses may have experienced the same problem. Talking to someone on the bus, they wondered why this "buses only" provision at Tesco hadn't been thought about from the beginning... 

Yes, the old folk's shoppers buses used to park outside the Co-op, but after they resurfaced their car park the bus operators were told to just drop off passengers at the bus stop at the main road. It's their car park, so it is their rules. Some of the bus operators just ignore the double yellow lines though. Apparently the CC had talks with the Co-Op, but they did not budge on their new stance.

Personally it does not affect me, I am neither elderly nor disabled. But I do feel sorry for some of the old folk on the bus who struggle quite badly. A few of them have stopped using the bus now. 

I don't think they necessarily look for preferrential treatment, they just don't understand why the Co-Op provides disabled bays but stops the buses whose vast majority of passengers are old and disabled. (On my route there's only 2 of us who don't have a bus pass.)

I would suggest that Tesco/Coop have not stopped buses dropping off/picking up.  Simply told them to stop parking up at the entrances.

The buses, at Tesco anyway, created an obstruction and a blind spot/bottleneck for other traffic and customers leaving the store.

Wonder if an insurance company might have made a few "observations"?

Whatever the reason, it seems common sense to me that vehicles are prohibited(?) from parking up on (unofficial) double yellows right next to a marked (unofficial) pedestrian crossing..

When this first came up, there was some talk by the Co-op to stop the buses from entering their car park all together. Hence their suggestions to use the main road bus stop instead. Insurance was being mentioned, along the lines of "if there's an accident, the driver is liable, not the operator". 

From past experience there's not much point in complaining to Tesco about anything, no matter how polite and flowery their responses are, when you break them down in to plain English they all pretty much come out saying "You can complain, but it won't make a blind bit of difference as this is the way we've decided we're doing things, and that's that".

Personally, were it me, and I was feeling Tesco was only offering me a second class service compared to disabled/elderly folk who shopped with them using a car, just because I did so using public transport, I'd simply take my business elsewhere. There are several shops on the route between the North Isles and Tesco, and while I have no idea of the practicaities or realities of using any of them as an alternative, its something i think folk should be giving very serious consideration to, and give Tesco the finger if at all possible.

Yes, its their carpark to do with as they please, but it should have hardly been rocket science for whoever planned the carpark layout to realise that a number of their disabled/elderly customers were very likely to use public transport, and the fact that they provided disabled car bays, but no dedicated public transport bay can only tell you one thing - that Tesco don't really care about or want disabled/elderly customers unless those who shop by car. So why should the rest, who rely on public transport for whatever reason, put any money in Tesco's pocket.

Guest Fetlar Writer

^...and the same applies to the Co-Op.

There was some discussion on "da bus" wether to divert to a weekly Brae Co-op outing, but it was voted down. Shame really, I'd been up for that! 

Not a bad idea (then we could descend on Frankies for Fish and Chips!) :razz:  I guess folks have other jobs to do in the town - opticians, hospital, etc.

Guest Fetlar Writer

From past experience there's not much point in complaining to Tesco about anything, no matter how polite and flowery their responses are, when you break them down in to plain English they all pretty much come out saying "You can complain, but it won't make a blind bit of difference as this is the way we've decided we're doing things, and that's that".

Personally, were it me, and I was feeling Tesco was only offering me a second class service compared to disabled/elderly folk who shopped with them using a car, just because I did so using public transport, I'd simply take my business elsewhere. There are several shops on the route between the North Isles and Tesco, and while I have no idea of the practicaities or realities of using any of them as an alternative, its something i think folk should be giving very serious consideration to, and give Tesco the finger if at all possible.

Yes, its their carpark to do with as they please, but it should have hardly been rocket science for whoever planned the carpark layout to realise that a number of their disabled/elderly customers were very likely to use public transport, and the fact that they provided disabled car bays, but no dedicated public transport bay can only tell you one thing - that Tesco don't really care about or want disabled/elderly customers unless those who shop by car. So why should the rest, who rely on public transport for whatever reason, put any money in Tesco's pocket.

I'd prefer to shop at Co-op, but when the bus comes back to pick us up it has nowhere to park, as the bus stop is on the other side of the road heading towards town. I tried this in summer (without thinking) then realised I'd have to traipse my shopping all the way to the bus-stop outside the ferry terminal!! 20kg bars of Cadburys are as heavy as gold you know...  ;-)  :shock:

But you're right, if I could take my business elsewhere, and it be as convenient as the brilliant north isles bus service is (and the same price) - I would.

Guest Fetlar Writer

its dangerous

But Brian, it's not as if the coach sits there all day, this is a pick-up of people's shopping - often never a full bus load of people - then it moves on... come on... 

Guest Fetlar Writer

I would suggest that Tesco/Coop have not stopped buses dropping off/picking up.  Simply told them to stop parking up at the entrances.

The buses, at Tesco anyway, created an obstruction and a blind spot/bottleneck for other traffic and customers leaving the store.

Wonder if an insurance company might have made a few "observations"?

Whatever the reason, it seems common sense to me that vehicles are prohibited(?) from parking up on (unofficial) double yellows right next to a marked (unofficial) pedestrian crossing..

How does it stop customers leaving the store Colin?? Don't you mean leaving the car-park? :roll:

Really? You're making it sound like the bus is some behemoth that looms over supermarket entrances, it's so invasive that the supermarket's automatic doors never close because of it's presence... it's sinister wing mirrors slap people around the face if they come too near... and let's not forget how dangerous it would be if someone pushed it over - it would flatten the store...*sigh* Tesco of course can do what they like - it's their car-park. I think going back to horse and cart is the way, then the horse could crap everywhere...  :ponders: