Depression; Does anyone suffer from it or has?

Aims

I watched Stephen Fry's standup show at the Sydney Opera House last night and during the second part of the show (an interview style segment) he used an excellent analogy to describe depression that I hadn't heard before so thought i'd share it as I can see it really helping me explain things in future.

Very simply, he liked it to the weather. You get up in the morning, and are never sure whther it will be pouring with rain and windy or a nice warm sunny day. Over time you can learn to forecast it to a degree so you can prepare, and even let friends and family know if a bad spell is on the way. If and when those bad days come, you can't "walk it off" or whatever, it will always be there and you just have to deal with it as best you can.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they say it helps if you surround yourself wiht positive thinking, happy people.

best not spend much time on shetlink then :cry:

I must have crossed wires someplace then, as it works the opposite with me. Folk that are always positive and happy, are all too often folk who are incapable of grasping the gravity of the situation, or at least have not yet managed to do so, and their attitude just irritates the hell out of me.